Thread: Black Blizzard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Black Blizzard 
    I'm watching a show on History Channel about the Dust Bowl disaster of the early 1930's in the midwest. This was just one aspect of the Great Depression but damn. The next time anyone compares what's going on now to what was going on then, slap them. We're living like kings compared to those people. But I recommend watching this. It's a few years old but it puts things in perspective. http://www.history.com/videos/black-...black-blizzard
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Good point. People were hungry during that time, because there was a food shortage. That's very different from these hard times.

HBO had a really weird show a few years back that was set in that time and place, called Carnivale. It didn't do really well in the ratings, but I liked it. If nothing else, it did a pretty good job of recreating that situation for the camera.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    yeah, I watched some of it today, very interesting, particularly the parts about how we've expanded on the idea of cloud seeding

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    My dad tells stories about my great grandmother and a family gathering - an all day affair with both lunch and dinner served.

Lunch went fine but at dinner everyone commented at how horrible the salad dressing was - the same salad dressing that was just fine at lunch.

My great grandma, not wanting to waste a thing, had mixed the leftover pickle juice into the salad dressing.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

The human cost during those times was unbelievable compared to what people are facing today. Whole families were uprooted to find work and everybody worked - little kids included.

It makes this financial disaster look pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The human cost during those times was unbelievable compared to what people are facing today. Whole families were uprooted to find work and everybody worked - little kids included.

You have people complaining about eating Ramen noodles and mayonnaise sandwiches but what you don't have is people eating ketchup soup. People today don't know how good they have it.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    You have people complaining about eating Ramen noodles and mayonnaise sandwiches but what you don't have is people eating ketchup soup. People today don't know how good they have it.
    And the people doing the complaining didn't work for 12 hours picking peaches to afford that ramen, either. Most of them sat on the couch all day long playing games or watching TV. Big difference.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Times are completely different now, and conditions varied by region during the Great Depression as well. We have safety nets to help ensure that children have food, and basic medical needs are met (even though they often initiate bankruptcy even for people who have never had credit).

When the GD hit my hometown, few people had mortgages, many had no utility bills, and your average person hadn't recently bought as much house as he could afford. There was still plenty of space for small gardens, people were still connected to farming, and most of the goods and services we rely on now didn't exist or were luxuries. There are people who will tell you, "The Depression never came here." while others like my mother will assure you that that is because it never left.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Times are completely different now, and conditions varied by region during the Great Depression as well. We have safety nets to help ensure that children have food, and basic medical needs are met (even though they often initiate bankruptcy even for people who have never had credit).

When the GD hit my hometown, few people had mortgages, many had no utility bills, and your average person hadn't recently bought as much house as he could afford. There was still plenty of space for small gardens, people were still connected to farming, and most of the goods and services we rely on now didn't exist or were luxuries. There are people who will tell you, "The Depression never came here." while others like my mother will assure you that that is because it never left.

Detroit was still booming during the Great Depression. Michigan's farmland, which was more extensive then, was not affected by the dust storms and was still fertile. My grandpa said times were hard for a lot of people, but he was young and healthy and able to work two jobs to support his family. But as a little kid, he starved on the eastern front during WWI, so his perspective was different than most americans.

Even the poor in Detroit at the time had food, electricity and running water.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    But as a little kid, he starved on the eastern front during WWI, so his perspective was different than most americans.
    A prime example of the idea that no matter how bad you have it, there is always someone whose had it worse.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.