Thread: Black Blizzard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All good points. Don't forget that back then more people were agrarian based than now. We have 95% of the population that could not farm or hunt for anything to sustain their families. Back then, people were more self sufficient than now.

Today, we would be killing one another to take what our neighbors have. We don't hunt, fish, or farm. We gave that up for 7-eleven and Food Lion. I doubt inner city Gangtas will take canning classes.

Most of our large metro areas are loaded with dependant citizens. Shut down trucking and our stores would be empty in hours. Destroy our economy and we have no way of sustaining those heavily DIMoRAT metro areas. Liberals would starve in the millions.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Detroit was still booming during the Great Depression. Michigan's farmland, which was more extensive then, was not affected by the dust storms and was still fertile. My grandpa said times were hard for a lot of people, but he was young and healthy and able to work two jobs to support his family. But as a little kid, he starved on the eastern front during WWI, so his perspective was different than most americans.

Even the poor in Detroit at the time had food, electricity and running water.
    I often feel like my experience is rare amongst people my age (50ish). When I was a child, everyone in the city limits (as far as I know) had indoor plumbing, though not all of them had city water. Some had wells. My grandmother's house still had a hand pump on the back porch which had previously been used to fill a ringer washer or rotated to pump water to the kitchen sink through a window. While she had plumbing upstairs and down, she still had a floor furnace which heated the house through gravity vents. My other grandmother's house had a monster coal furnace in the basement providing central heat to multiple rooms.

Not too far outside of town you have people who had bulbs hanging from ceilings, and still had outhouses either as a primary or secondary sanitary facility. A little farther out than that , sharecroppers lived in houses with no utilities.

Even though I was born mid century, I feel like my childhood bridged the turn of the century.