Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The last part of that video is just insane. The initial shooting may or may not have been justified, but I can't imagine any rules of engagement that would permit pointing a weapon at someone who is not holding a weapon or otherwise demonstrating any threat. I'm not going to say more until the investigation is completed, because there may be some mitigating facts that aren't on the video, but I cannot imagine what they would be.
    Could it be because as soon as video of something like this gets out, emotions take over and we have another LA circa 1992? Just a thought.*

*-Not making any judgments either way but giving another perspective in the usual "let's bash law enforcement" thread on these boards before the investigation is finished.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    Well, the guy they shot seemed like he sort of had it coming. Its when you shoot innocent bystanders and point guns at people who are hiding in their car from the firefight; thats when you start letting more emotions get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Could it be because as soon as video of something like this gets out, emotions take over and we have another LA circa 1992? Just a thought.*

*-Not making any judgments either way but giving another perspective in the usual "let's bash law enforcement" thread on these boards before the investigation is finished.
    All the more reason to act like you know that you are on video. The only way that I would point a weapon at someone who was only carrying a camera was if it was in a classified area and I had a shoot-to-kill order to safeguard the data. As I said, there may be something that the cop saw that we didn't, so I'm not going to pull an Obama and say that he acted stupidly, but I'm having a hard time imagining why he would do what he did.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    All the more reason to act like you know that you are on video. The only way that I would point a weapon at someone who was only carrying a camera was if it was in a classified area and I had a shoot-to-kill order to safeguard the data. As I said, there may be something that the cop saw that we didn't, so I'm not going to pull an Obama and say that he acted stupidly, but I'm having a hard time imagining why he would do what he did.
    To quote Obama, I'm not denying that the cops acted stupidly(I am trained that never pull your weapon unless there is the threat of death or serious bodily injury or an escaping inmate). What I'm saying is that, and pardon the pun, trigger happy society we're in, these videos would have been posted within seconds which has the probability to create civil unrest. People don't think.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    If the citizens of South Beach have their way, this won't be a problem next year. They appear to have had enough.

“There isn’t a residential street in South Beach not affected by tons of garbage, crime to our vehicles, excessive noise 24 hours a day, and simply a lack of respect for our community, citizens and property,” activist Herb Sosa wrote in an open letter to the Miami Beach City Commission. “Make the difficult, but correct decision to put an end to Urban Weekend in Miami Beach.”

And another one:

“I think we need to take back the city for the residents,” said the President and CEO of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce. “It’s just not right that people live in fear.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I don't like this move to not allow citizens to record newsworthy events, the government records us on a continual basis, this is one sided and getting out of hand in my opinion.
    Many states are moving to write laws to make filming police in public illegal.

Here is a person being arrested on their own property for filming a very tame encounter with the police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcL-b0Gdopg

You might say they were very mildly confrontational with these police but the police are not Gods and there is no law saying you have to smile and sing their praises every time you see them.

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Yea pretty much. The video is pretty shocking, way overboard on the use of deadly force.

There is a serious problem of police using excessive force, including physical force, extremely flippant use of tazers, and even deadly force. To top it off, in far too many of these cases the police are not charged with any crimes, and are given simple slaps on the wrist.

Not all police do things like this, but a great many are culpable anyway because there exists a very strong "Blue Code of Silence", where the police view each other as a brotherhood to be protected at all costs. Cops don't snitch on other cops. They go out of their way to cover each others' asses, so it's not like you can call the police on the police when there is misconduct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vUCtOxM-MQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5qlg-EDFCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNX6MDktrRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQdw7IVqzTE

There are just so many of these, it's ridiculous.

This isn't condemning of ALL police officers, but my god it happens way too often. There needs to be some serious changes and strong accountability in our police and prison systems. America currently has the highest prison rate in the entire world, we even have a higher prison rate than the Soviet Union did during the height of the gulags, but perhaps that is better suited for a threat about prisons.

Police need to be held accountable, they are a civilian force and if we are trusting them with higher levels of authority then they need to be held to higher standards of responsibility.
    Last edited by Wei Wu Wei; 06-09-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

The police use video as evidence to prosecute civilians and for many other situations for their benefit. Why shouldn't civilians be able to do the same on police?
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    The police use video as evidence to prosecute civilians and for many other situations for their benefit. Why shouldn't civilians be able to do the same on police?

They can-that's why those police felt the need to destroy the camera of a bystander/witness.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They can-that's why those police felt the need to destroy the camera of a bystander/witness.
    Right. I am addressing the point WeWe had about how some places are mkaing laws against it. And to do that against someone should be considered assault by a police officer.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.