Thread: South Beach Diet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 South Beach Diet 
    Has anyone ever been on this diet? My doc recommended it, but gave a simple half page of foods on and off the list. There are many unanswered questions, even after doing a quick check on the internet.

For example, what type of salad dressing do you use for salads with this thing? It says real mayonaisse instead of Miracle Whip, but I don't usually smear mayo on my lettuce salads.

I'd appreciate any tips on this thing. I did really well the first week, still in stage one, and due to start stage 2 at the end of the week. But the weight loss has almost stopped. Lost 6 pounds last week, 1 pound this week.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

South Beach is a semi-lower carb type of diet. Instead of mayo, just make up a vinaigrette dressing with very good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and your own herbs and garlic. It will be lighter on calories and lower in carbs.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 06-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.

SB Diet is slightly different than the Zone diet. It's not bad if you stick to it.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    my wife is doing the full plate diet...working for her well

I'm on the see food diet!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I think when you get down to it, the South Beach diet is pretty similar to Atkins although it restricts fats more and carbs less. There's less math involved anyway.

I eat a lower carb diet than most people all the time. I saw what type 2 diabetes did to my mother (even admitting that she was non-compliant) and no, thanks. Once you realize that some things just not worth eating every day, it's by far the easiest type of life-long diet change to make.

The BFF is a committed low-fat calorie-counter and it's painful to watch her go through mental math required to do it. Plus, she ends up eating all this horrifying "lite" stuff. She is elegant-looking, though, so that approach clearly works if you are willing to do it.

It's Atkins with no bacon. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I think when you get down to it, the South Beach diet is pretty similar to Atkins although it restricts fats more and carbs less. There's less math involved anyway.

I eat a lower carb diet than most people all the time. I saw what type 2 diabetes did to my mother (even admitting that she was non-compliant) and no, thanks. Once you realize that some things just not worth eating every day, it's by far the easiest type of life-long diet change to make.

The BFF is a committed low-fat calorie-counter and it's painful to watch her go through mental math required to do it. Plus, she ends up eating all this horrifying "lite" stuff. She is elegant-looking, though, so that approach clearly works if you are willing to do it.
    I've noticed for some time that the "lite" stuff isn't really that light in carbs or sodium. They keep adding bad stuff to get the food edible. There often is so little difference in calories that I've stopped getting it.

With my leg so messed up by delaying the knee surgery, it's tougher to move around so much, so I finally listened to the doc. I'd prefer losing by the walking route but this is going to have to do. Also the doc admitted that the 3 blood pressure meds I'm taking each contribute to fluid retention. It's a horrible, vicious circle. If I can even tread water with the South Beach diet til I get the knee repaired, I guess I should be satisfied. It's just so frustrating. The doc also probably compounded the problem by substituting for one of the meds a bp med that has absolutely no diuretic. So now I'll have to cope with additional fluid buildups. He said as hot as it gets down here he doesn't like diuretics, even the extremely mild one built into the 1 bp med.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I've noticed for some time that the "lite" stuff isn't really that light in carbs or sodium. They keep adding bad stuff to get the food edible. There often is so little difference in calories that I've stopped getting it.

With my leg so messed up by delaying the knee surgery, it's tougher to move around so much, so I finally listened to the doc. I'd prefer losing by the walking route but this is going to have to do. Also the doc admitted that the 3 blood pressure meds I'm taking each contribute to fluid retention. It's a horrible, vicious circle. If I can even tread water with the South Beach diet til I get the knee repaired, I guess I should be satisfied. It's just so frustrating. The doc also probably compounded the problem by substituting for one of the meds a bp med that has absolutely no diuretic. So now I'll have to cope with additional fluid buildups. He said as hot as it gets down here he doesn't like diuretics, even the extremely mild one built into the 1 bp med.
    If I were you (and I'm not), I'd go to one of the many South Beach diet boards and read up on it. Phase 1 is very similar to Atkins' Induction Phase. Basically, no sweet or starchy carbs at all. Non-starchy salads and veggies are okay. No fruit other than avocado. South Beach let's you eat all you want as long you stick to the Phase 1 food list.

If I wanted to lose weight with this program, I'd just stay in Phase 1 and keep an eye on overall calories. Low carb gives people an advantage in the calorie game but it's not a magic spell; you can overeat anything.

Low carb itself will get rid of some of the fluid and a lot of people find that they have lower blood pressure after a month. Even people who aren't losing weight but stick to low carb usually see this effect. Low carb will also correct most cholesterol issues if you buy into that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Has anyone ever been on this diet? My doc recommended it, but gave a simple half page of foods on and off the list. There are many unanswered questions, even after doing a quick check on the internet.

For example, what type of salad dressing do you use for salads with this thing? It says real mayonaisse instead of Miracle Whip, but I don't usually smear mayo on my lettuce salads.

I'd appreciate any tips on this thing. I did really well the first week, still in stage one, and due to start stage 2 at the end of the week. But the weight loss has almost stopped. Lost 6 pounds last week, 1 pound this week.
    Both my wife and I were on it last year and the results were amazing....however, we slipped last fall back into some of our old eating habits and have gained some of what we have lost.

My wife does stage one for two weeks and I will do it for three. Then we sync back up for stage two. From what I gathered in my research, South Beach is far healthier than most other diets and you dont have to worry about counting calories which is perfect for us.