Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bears Openly Roam the Streets of Ouray ( Colorado ) 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Last night's two hotel guests relaxing in a hot tub in Ouray looked up to find there was another guest in the tub- a bear. The hotel says the bear was just inches away from one guest. Both the guest and the bear got the scare of their lives, the guest screamed and the bear ran and dove into the swimming pool. The Bear made his escape after swimming across the pool The Ouray Police Department says five to six bears have roaming the streets. Even walking down Main Street during the day.

http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/19608814.html

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Last night's two hotel guests relaxing in a hot tub in Ouray looked up to find there was another guest in the tub- a bear. The hotel says the bear was just inches away from one guest. Both the guest and the bear got the scare of their lives, the guest screamed and the bear ran and dove into the swimming pool. The Bear made his escape after swimming across the pool The Ouray Police Department says five to six bears have roaming the streets. Even walking down Main Street during the day.

http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/19608814.html

One the streets of Old Ouray,
    I had me a scare.
    The girl in the fur coat,
    Was Smokey the Bear.
    I've had bear encounters, but never one that close. Geez.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Pretty obviously you've never gone skinny dipping at Indian Springs. :p

Seriously, the wildlife is winning out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Pretty obviously you've never gone skinny dipping at Indian Springs. :p

Seriously, the wildlife is winning out here.
    So, how close did you get to the bear?

Was it a large hot tub? Were there bubbles? :p

So, how close did you get to the bear?

Was it a large hot tub? Were there bubbles? :p
    Indian Springs is interconnected series of hot springs. Some of them are very, very hot indeed. There is also a large cave with a spring in it (the nekkid people stay in the cave - mostly). I've seen all kinds of animals there although not a bear. People say the bears come in there and scare people but it hasn't actually happened to me. I was badly startled by a porcupine once, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Indian Springs is interconnected series of hot springs. Some of them are very, very hot indeed. There is also a large cave with a spring in it (the nekkid people stay in the cave - mostly). I've seen all kinds of animals there although not a bear. People say the bears come in there and scare people but it hasn't actually happened to me. I was badly startled by a porcupine once, though.
    Is Quray in the western part of Colorado, near Grand Junction? I've stayed there a couple of times, on the way to Kenab, Utah. The LaQuinta in Grand Junction was my first greyhound, Jessie's, favorite place to stay. That crazy hound dog was very spoiled, wanted a larger hotel room than the small places would stop in Kansas on the way to Utah. He'd actually sigh and spread out at the LaQuinta. He also liked to ride the elevator to the 2nd floor.

The second time I stayed there, Jess pulled me toward the elevator. This time the room was on the first floor, but somehow he must have remembered the elevator.

The animals indeed are taking over. :D

Vepr
    I have been there twice. Cool little town tucked away in the mountains.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    As a teenager, we had quite a bit of acreage in Northern Michigan. One of us kids (or maybe Mom) was driving our pickup truck while Dad, me, a couple of us kids and our dog - a very big Laborador Retriever named Smokey were in the bed of the pickup - driving along the two track trails that wound through the property.

It was just at that time of year when the juneberries were ripening and the bears would climb up the spindly trees and break the branches down with their weight - feasting on the sweet berries.

Well, the nature of those trails were that some of the curves were fairly sharp and often your view of what was around the curve was blocked. We rounded a bend and those of us in the back were face to face with a black bear who was dining on those berries - I would guess maybe 5 feet away at eye level.

The bear of course was nearly as started as we were and he dropped to the ground and took off running. Our Lab jumped out of the pickup to chase the bear and my father did one of the most amazing physical feats I have ever witnessed. In one motion, he snagged Smokey by his collar with one hand (he was almost to the ground after his jump) held on to the sidewall of the pickup with the other and straightarmed a 120 lb dog back into the bed of the truck. The whole incident took maybe 2 seconds - tops, but it is one of my lasting memories of my father when he was in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    As a teenager, we had quite a bit of acreage in Northern Michigan. One of us kids (or maybe Mom) was driving our pickup truck while Dad, me, a couple of us kids and our dog - a very big Laborador Retriever named Smokey were in the bed of the pickup - driving along the two track trails that wound through the property.

It was just at that time of year when the juneberries were ripening and the bears would climb up the spindly trees and break the branches down with their weight - feasting on the sweet berries.

Well, the nature of those trails were that some of the curves were fairly sharp and often your view of what was around the curve was blocked. We rounded a bend and those of us in the back were face to face with a black bear who was dining on those berries - I would guess maybe 5 feet away at eye level.

The bear of course was nearly as started as we were and he dropped to the ground and took off running. Our Lab jumped out of the pickup to chase the bear and my father did one of the most amazing physical feats I have ever witnessed. In one motion, he snagged Smokey by his collar with one hand (he was almost to the ground after his jump) held on to the sidewall of the pickup with the other and straightarmed a 120 lb dog back into the bed of the truck. The whole incident took maybe 2 seconds - tops, but it is one of my lasting memories of my father when he was in good health.

Neat story. Especially about your dad.

My wife and I were hiking on Mt Leconte (Tennessee) and almost got between a Mama Bear and her two cubs. She was above the trail, the cubs were below, and we were about to walk between them because we didn't see them. Mama Bear came thundering down hill faster than I ever dreamed a bear could move, crossed the trail right in front of me, and got between me and the cubs. The cubs of course climbed trees.

Again, I had no idea how fast those things could move. It was downhill, but still. Fast.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Neat story. Especially about your dad.

My wife and I were hiking on Mt Leconte (Tennessee) and almost got between a Mama Bear and her two cubs. She was above the trail, the cubs were below, and we were about to walk between them because we didn't see them. Mama Bear came thundering down hill faster than I ever dreamed a bear could move, crossed the trail right in front of me, and got between me and the cubs. The cubs of course climbed trees.

Again, I had no idea how fast those things could move. It was downhill, but still. Fast.
    I think they can run35-40 mph.

They are VERY fast - especially given their size.