SEIU, Obama's favorite union, co-sponsored and participated in the Mayday parade in downtown Los Angeles. Among the other sponsors were:
- Los Angeles County Federation of Labor
- Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition
- Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights-Los Angeles
- ANSWER Coalition
- Multi-ethnic Immigrant Workers Organizing Network
- LIUNA (Laborers' International Union of North America)
- National Day Laborer Organizing Network
- COFEM (Consejo de Federaciones Mexicanas en Norteamérica)
- Party for Socialism and Liberation
- Students Fight Back
- March Forward!
- AF3IRM (Association of Filipinas, Feminists Fighting Imperialism, Re-feudalization, and Marginalization)
- KmB Pro-People Youth
Among the photos of the event found here and here, are these shots of the SEIU contingent being led by a member carrying a communist red banner.
Other photos at the site show banners with images of Che Guevara, the hammer and sickle, exhortations to destroy capitalism, advance socialism and communism. Red banners were ubiquitous.
Whenever somebody says that these guys are communists, they are very quick to throw around charges like McCarthyism and Red-Baiting, but is it okay to call someone a communist if they co-sponsor and march in a communist parade behind a communist banner, surrounded by people who openly call themselves communists? Just asking...