1. #1 Hillary Clinton & First Ladies in General 
    Banned
    Where the hell is she? She's like the most invisible Secretary of State we've ever had. I was just a teenager when Bush was in office but I remember Powell being around all the time, acting truly as a SoS. Obama seems to almost be single handedly handling our foreign policy. There doesn't seem to any partnership there, any coherent team work. It's differently not Nixon and Kissinger, let's put it that way. I don't know how the Obama White House is run--every President has a different management style--but his seems to center around himself. His cabinet by comparison is very low key, in the shadows behind him. The only one who is ever truly with him is Biden, but even with him, he seems to be a less powerful VP than Cheney was. Look at Bush's administration--Powell, Rumsfeld, Rice, Cheney, were all over the TV, and they seemed to be a very well organized team. It just seems like it's all about Obama.

Now, I'm not really a fan of Hillary. She's a hardcore ideologue, I think, and I get this feeling that she's a real bitch behind the scenes, both from her attitude, and what I've read of her. She's a great pretender--I watched the '92 campaign stuff with her in it and she had a light, elegant Southern accent throughout the campaign, and as soon as the campaign ended, so did her accent. I think Bill Clinton would've been a much different President if Hillary hadn't been his wife.

She seems to fancy herself as being Eleanor Roosevelt II, but she lacks all the class, elegance and quiet dignity that Eleanor had. Eleanor was a strong, stern, kind hearted woman. Eleanor built herself into one of the world's most respected by herself after FDR died, and she quietly but sternly dealt with his infidelity. She stayed with him for his family's sake and for the sake of the country, and put on a good face during the Depression and WWII for the people, but privately she never forgave him and their marriage was never the same--Before his affair, she had passionately loved him. Even when he began to get sickly in 1944, and asked her to move back in with him, she refused. She felt bad about it, but at the same time, she simply couldn't forget what he did to her. She could forgive, enough to be cordial to him and worry about him to a degree, but she could never forget. Not only that, but he promised to stop seeing his mistress in 1914, only to begin seeing her again in early 1945 when he realized his health was rapidly failing--She, and not Eleanor, was with FDR when he died. Eleanor was hurt once again, thirty years later, when she learned that. Her own daughter had been helping FDR see his mistress again secretly in the last few months of his wife--She knew her parents' marriage was basically over anyway, and with his death seeming imminent, wanted him to have some company and happiness in his final months.

Hillary on the other hand, let's be honest, relies heavily on Bill's clout and the respect and influence he holds with the Democratic Party to get where she's been and is. She got to the Senate due to public sympathy with her over the still fresh Lewinsky Scandal and admiration for her "strength" through all of it, and I don't know how or why she was given the job of Secretary of State--She has no credentials for it.

There are some first ladies who I really love, and some I could care less for. Jackie O was a great, strong, beautiful and elegant woman--Possibly the most beautiful first lady ever. Lady Bird was a delicate, beautiful in her youth, classy Southern woman. Pat Nixon was a complex and troubled woman who came from a horrid background, but she was Richard Nixon's rock, and his life. He wept like a baby at her funeral.

Betty Ford was a funny lady--Very outspoken, much to the ire of Gerry. She said in 1975 that her children had tried marijuana and she wasn't very mad about it, and that she supported abortion--both statements infuriated Gerry and his staff. She was just a wild lady. I don't know enough about Roselyn Carter to say anything.

Nancy Reagan seems to have been a very kind, caring woman; Her "Just Say No" campaign was very moral, if misguided and mocked by the youth. She took care of Ronald when he was ill and made sure that he was kept isolated so that people would only remember him as he was when he was in his prime, and not as a suffering, confused old man in decline that he was in his last years--very, very caring. You could tell she loved him deeply. Her infatuation with the New Age stuff and Astrology was kind of kooky but everyone has their quirks.

I never cared for Barbara Bush, to be honest. She seems like a stuck up, distant, elitist bitch. Her whole demeanor and affect reminds me of Queen Elizabeth II--that cold, distant, old English sort of uppity-ness. She may have been a good wife or whatever, but I've never cared for her as a first lady.

Laura Bush struck me as a shy, but kind woman, but I get the feeling she was a bit of a wild child in her youth. Just something about her always gave me that impression. Still, she had a quiet sort of dignity and she stood by her husband through both good times and bad and she never did anything that great or that bad. She's a very beautiful woman, for an older lady.

Michelle seems to loud, overly opinionated, resentful, forceful, and mean spirited. She's more of a Communist than Obama himself could ever be in my opinion, and I get the feeling that in that marriage, she wears the pants. She's made a lot of remarks which have made me have a great distaste for her. For example, her whole "Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed" and that we have to change our "traditions" and even "change our history". She just seems to have a lot of resentment toward America. I hope I don't sound racist but she very much embodies the "angry black woman" stereotype, and she lacks class. She thinks she's Jackie O but she could never even hope to equal Jackie in her elegance, beauty, taste or class.

I think Michelle Obama is in an impossible situation-she's young, by first lady standards, and she's the first black woman in the position. I like her.

I love Hillary. I voted for her in the 2008 primary. I still think she was the better choice.

I think Laura Bush is a good person. She's not a career woman, she was a hands-on mom for a good part of her husband's career. It's wrong for my fellow feminists to judge her on that basis the way they do.

I think Barbara Bush is awesome. She doesn't mince words and supports her family no matter what. She never backed away from her pro-choice stance, even if it would have been more politically convenient for her husband if she had done so.

I always hated Nancy Reagan, though, until Ronnie's funeral. Then, I felt really badly for her. She looked so frail and vulnerable. It's not easy to care for and watch someone you love die slowly from alzheimer's.

Rosalind Carter was known for wearing Jimmy Buffet t-shirts and being a pretty staunch feminist. My mom liked her.

Being from Grand Rapids and all, of course I love Betty Ford. She was honest about her alcoholism and has helped a lot of people over the years because of it. She had to deal with 2 assassination attempts on her husband, breast cancer and alcoholism during her husband's brief tenure as president. And she's still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Where the hell is she? She's like the most invisible Secretary of State we've ever had..
    That's not necessarily a bad thing. She's in over her head and I think she's realized it.
    Now only if Obama would disappear.