1. #1 The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life 
    The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life by Ben Sherwood.

I just finished this book over the weekend and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested improving their odds of surviving a potentially fatal crisis. The author spent a lot of time talking to survivors, being trained by expects in military survival, and going through airline safety schools. He spoke with researchers who study survival and neuroscientists who delve into the chemistry of crisis behavior.

This isn't a cookbook of tips and hints. You won't get any information about building signal fires or purifying water here. It's all about the mindset or rather the several mindsets that improve your odds and help you process the aftermath. It's not all about airplane crashes and floods, either. He also touches on surviving crime, heart attacks, and clumsiness.

I particularly liked one section on pure luck and how you can actually influence a force that appears to be random but isn't anywhere near as impersonal as it looks.

When you buy the book, you get a code to log into The Survivors Club site where you can take a test to determine your basic survivor type and your three best survival traits (as well as identifying three traits that you should probably work on).

I think anyone who reads this book and Gavin DeBecker's Gift of Fear will have some pretty helpful preparation for the inevitable train wrecks in life. :)

Sounds very interesting.

I love watching the "I Survived" series on the ID channel. True life stories of survivors. Last night they had a woman who escaped a serial killer (she was raped), a boy who was rescued by a group of hunters from a pedophile who previously killed a 10 year old boy(he was raped), 3 canyon climbers who were caught in a flash flood and a man stuck under the rubble of a building after the earthquake in Haiti.(He drank his own pee, and used his iPhone app to treat his symptoms) Oh, and a woman who was stabbed with scissors (multiople times)by her neighbor.

They all had a deep faith in God, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Sounds very interesting.

I love watching the "I Survived" series on the ID channel. True life stories of survivors. Last night they had a woman who escaped a serial killer (she was raped), a boy who was rescued by a group of hunters from a pedophile who previously killed a 10 year old boy(he was raped), 3 canyon climbers who were caught in a flash flood and a man stuck under the rubble of a building after the earthquake in Haiti.(He drank his own pee, and used his iPhone app to treat his symptoms) Oh, and a woman who was stabbed with scissors (multiople times)by her neighbor.

They all had a deep faith in God, btw.
    Some of the reviewers at Amazon seemed vaguely angry that the author discusses faith as survival/coping strategy even though he was simply repeating what the survivors themselves were saying. One of the survivor test profiles is Believer and that's mine.

Even if you deny the existence of God, it would seem obvious that those of us who have fairly well thought out religious beliefs probably have some advantages in a survival situation. We're never alone, for one thing. We get the same psychological boost from prayer as nonbelievers get from talking with other humans. We don't need to waste any time over situational ethics. We can be bold and take some risks because our efforts are never pointless when it comes to saving our own or another person's life. Even if we don't feel brave we have a Christian duty remain hopeful, helpful, and as positive as realistically possible in a crisis so we're less likely to generate despair or surrender in ourselves or others. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Even if we don't feel brave we have a Christian duty remain hopeful, helpful, and as positive as realistically possible in a crisis so we're less likely to generate despair or surrender in ourselves or others. ;)
    That's the truest and best statement ever.

I'm bumping this for all the survivors out there.

What did you survive and how are you doing?

Here's a "cookbook" with a lot of good info for hunters and the like. For example; how do you determine north in the woods, at night, without a compass?

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Armed-Forc.../dp/B0006DXBZC

Wish I'd had something like it when I was "camping out" on that hillside in Laos in '59!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA