Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Remember what the pizza delivery guys at FT Dix had planned. They were jihadis who intended to smuggle weapons onto the post and shoot up everybody in sight.

Hmmm.... Now if some of those guys were available to deliver pizza is bad neighborhoods, that might solve the problem. :D
    I think I recall reading a few years back that a Washington Post reporter had arranged with the manager of a Pizza Hut to let him know when there were late night or exceptionally large orders at the Pentagon.

Even with all the security measures, people who sit in one place are in a position to observe change.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    One of my apartments in San Francisco was on the black side of the race line between Alamo Square (the postcard Victorians, white holdout enclave at the time) and the black section which is now white again as well.

Anyway... some pizza places wouldn't come there and some taxi requests would get lost in dispatch. While it pissed me off, and I did accuse one pizza place (run by Arabs) of racial discrimination, if these places would simply have done what delivery places do now and put a delivery map on their menu, it would have stopped a lot of annoyance.

The irritating part wasn't being in the no-go zone, it was the inconsistency and uncertainty. This was also before telephone credit card charges, which I would imagine makes a huge difference as does enhanced caller ID.

But business has to accept the bargain as well. If you aren't going to deliver to 99150 or if you aren't going to deliver "above Divisidero" then you have to accept that you can't deliver to the pockets of desirable business that you have always made an exception for. It's either/or. You can gerrymander but you can't spot-zone.
    I would mostly agree with that. In the instance I referred to at my old job, it was two apartment buildings that were across the street from each other that both had a lot of drug dealing going on and junkies hanging around outside. They even got hip to what was going on because after awhile before we stopped going to those buildings, they would hang outside and try to buy the pizzas from us for like $5 each and they would tell us to just tell the manager they stole it from us when we got back.

There was one crackhouse I used to love delivering to because they kept everybody inside on the main guy always order about 10 pizzas and was good for at least a $50 tip. :D

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    LOL! well...even in an institution like the military there are a few bad apples...and the local pizza joints got tired of having their pizzas stolen.
    I was thinking the delivery drivers. There's always a couple potheads/functional drug addicts who work for the occasional free pizza and stuff. :p

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    LOL! well...even in an institution like the military there are a few bad apples...and the local pizza joints got tired of having their pizzas stolen.
    I would imagine just the hassle of getting on base, even before 9/11, would be a deterrent to delivering pizzas on a base. Back when I drove a cab in the early '90s, I'd get airborne flying into BNA and drive them up to Fort Campbell. Even in an obvious taxi with two or three uniformed soldiers with orders in hand, it would be probably a 10-15 minute procedure of car inspection, asking questions, etc. before we were let in the gate.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I would imagine just the hassle of getting on base, even before 9/11, would be a deterrent to delivering pizzas on a base. Back when I drove a cab in the early '90s, I'd get airborne flying into BNA and drive them up to Fort Campbell. Even in an obvious taxi with two or three uniformed soldiers with orders in hand, it would be probably a 10-15 minute procedure of car inspection, asking questions, etc. before we were let in the gate.
    In the mid-80's, we got pizza on Campbell all the time. Dominos. I liked black olive and mushroom, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    When I was stationed at Shaw, the local Domino's did the same thing.

When you rob the pizza man, expect to stop getting deliveries. Is it really that hard to understand?
    I delivered for Dominos many years ago, and we had areas within a few miles of the store, where we would not deliver to because of the crime rate in the area. It had nothing to do with race.

Im with you... this is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    I delivered for Dominos many years ago, and we had areas within a few miles of the store, where we would not deliver to because of the crime rate in the area. It had nothing to do with race.

Im with you... this is not rocket science.
    OK. Let me ask you this. How many white neighborhoods are hard to deliver to because of the high crime rate?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    How the hell does delivering pizza improve the quality of life?
    Especially most pizzas, which taste like cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Especially most pizzas, which taste like cardboard.
    To a native New Yorker, that is sacrilege. :mad:
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    To a native New Yorker, that is sacrilege. :mad:
    I live in California. All our pizza tastes like cardboard. I'm guessing New York's is pretty good?