Thread: GOP hopeful Herman Cain admits he refused pizza to black neighborhood

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Atlanta is mixed and there are black neighborhoods that are good AND black neighborhoods that are bad. My brother lives in a black/mixed neighborhood in Powder Springs that he chose deliberately because of the safety.

The Richmond Heights of my childhood was a safe black neighborhood. Now it's more Latino. Still pretty safe, though. :p

~QC

My brother lived for a while in a very nice, mixed neighborhood in Decatur. I remember visiting him and commenting on how integrated the suburbs were-this was in the early 90s, when Detroit suburbs were still pretty segregated (except Southfield).

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Ditto.

Although compared to the pizza normally served in CA, railroad ties would probably make a better crust.
    I've been deprived! :eek:

New York is the gold standard for pizza. When I lived in L.A., I used to have withdrawal symptoms. New Yorkers in Los Angeles complain about the absence of real pizza, real bagels and real breasts.
    Amen. I still have good pizza cravings regularly and I left NY 11 years ago. And nobody here even believes me about the bagels.

Quote Originally Posted by pyackog View Post
    Amen. I still have good pizza cravings regularly and I left NY 11 years ago. And nobody here even believes me about the bagels.
    There used to be a fantastic bagel shop at 88th and Lex that I went to when my brother lived in the neighborhood. Fabulous garlic bagels toasted hot and absolutely outstanding lox on them for I think it was $1.50 at the time (two halves). Of course, this was 20 years ago, but still, it was a good bargain and some absolutely killer bagels. The lox was so tender you'd think it could just be spread on like butter, but it was just a fantastic thin slice of salmon.

MAN, that was good stuff. You just can't get that kind of killer bagel anywhere else.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Best pizza I ever had was a little hole-in-the-wall place on Avenue J in Brooklyn, right by the D train. It was called DiFara's and the old man who ran it used to make it from scratch, with all fresh ingredients. As good as the stuff in Manhattan was, and even the worst Manhattan pizza was better than the best CA pizza, this guy's was an order of magnitude better. You couldn't get in there on a Friday night. I try to get there whenever I'm in NYC, but it's far enough out of my way that it's tough to do, but it's always worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    There used to be a fantastic bagel shop at 88th and Lex that I went to when my brother lived in the neighborhood. Fabulous garlic bagels toasted hot and absolutely outstanding lox on them for I think it was $1.50 at the time (two halves). Of course, this was 20 years ago, but still, it was a good bargain and some absolutely killer bagels. The lox was so tender you'd think it could just be spread on like butter, but it was just a fantastic thin slice of salmon.

MAN, that was good stuff. You just can't get that kind of killer bagel anywhere else.
    I used to go to a bagel place on W14th street, just past 8th Ave, that made their own. The onion and the garlic bagels were amazing. My favorite lunch was beef salami and swiss on an onion bagel with a bit of mustard, but they also did egg bagels which were great with just butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I've been deprived! :eek:
    You don't know the half of it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post

I was never a big lox guy, usually just did cream cheese (half a package of Philadelphia cream cheese too, not a "pat" of cream cheese like you get everywhere else). I used to hang out in a bar on Long Island that was across the street from a 24 hour bagel place that supplied bagels to a lot of shops in the area. We'd go in there at 4am for bagels and you NEVER had a hangover the next morning, lol.

They go a little more than a buck fifty now but are still a lot cheaper than everywhere else and the bagels are half the size everywhere else.

Best pizza I ever had was a little hole-in-the-wall place on Avenue J in Brooklyn, right by the D train. It was called DiFara's and the old man who ran it used to make it from scratch, with all fresh ingredients. As good as the stuff in Manhattan was, and even the worst Manhattan pizza was better than the best CA pizza, this guy's was an order of magnitude better. You couldn't get in there on a Friday night. I try to get there whenever I'm in NYC, but it's far enough out of my way that it's tough to do, but it's always worth it.
    I'm a Long Island guy and know the places there a lot better than a lot of the NYC places but used to eat a lot at a place on the corner of Ave A and St. Marks that was awesome. I've never had CA pizza but anyone who puts shit like pineapples onto a pizza is wrong on principle alone.

The ingredients in most of the NYC, NJ and Long Island places were usually quite good because the mob made sure that certain ingredients that they sold were used pretty much exclusively (pretty much all the cheeses) and they were selling high quality stuff.

The ingredients in most of the NYC, NJ and Long Island places were usually quite good because the mob made sure that certain ingredients that they sold were used pretty much exclusively (pretty much all the cheeses) and they were selling high quality stuff.
    Probably the only good thing the mob ever did. :)

I'm a Long Island guy and know the places there a lot better than a lot of the NYC places but used to eat a lot at a place on the corner of Ave A and St. Marks that was awesome. I've never had CA pizza but anyone who puts shit like pineapples onto a pizza is wrong on principle alone.
    There's also a pizza/bagel place on the corner of St. Marks and Third that would make a pizza bagel, with all of the pizza ingredients we'd come to love on top of (usually) an onion or garlic bagel, but they would make them to order, too. That's about the only variation on pizza that I'll go for with any enthusiasm.

My British wife will order Hawaiian pizza whenever she gets the chance, but I've warned her that if she did that in NYC, she would be taken to New Jersey and left there.

Polly-O makes a great mozzarella, but it never occurred to me that they were mobbed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Probably the only good thing the mob ever did. :)
    The mob has done a few good things. They've given us a whole genre of entertainment (Godfather, Goodfellas, the Sopranos, etc.) and they were into recycling long before the environmentalists got into it (Jimmy Hoffa got as green a disposal as you could ask for). Also, mob fashions have their place. There's nothing like a black shirt with a black suit and white tie to say "don't mess with me", and who else would wear velvet sweatsuits to anything? :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The mob has done a few good things. They've given us a whole genre of entertainment (Godfather, Goodfellas, the Sopranos, etc.) and they were into recycling long before the environmentalists got into it (Jimmy Hoffa got as green a disposal as you could ask for). Also, mob fashions have their place. There's nothing like a black shirt with a black suit and white tie to say "don't mess with me", and who else would wear velvet sweatsuits to anything? :D
    And lets not forget the intel work they did for the U.S. on the docks along the East Coast in War Two.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.