Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    'Martyrdom' Graduation Sashes Incite Violence?
    Muslim members of the University of California, Irvine's graduating class will wear green sashes emblazoned with the word "shahada" in Arabic along with their commencement robes in Saturday's ceremony – a reference some say is an incitement to violence that should not be allowed.

    "Shahada" can be translated several ways, including as a declaration of faith in Islam, but it often is used in reference to "martyrdom" – especially martyrdom attained by suicide bombers.

    Sally Peterson, dean of students at UCI, defended the university against critics who say the school shouldn't allow such a display.

    Peterson admits the word "shahada," besides being a reference to Islam, "has also taken on many other meanings depending on where you sit. For some it is seen as 'kill all Jews' or it is seen as a reference to suicide bombers," she said.

    Despite different meanings applied to the Arabic word, the administrator said UCI is not permitted to limit the Muslim Student Union members' freedom to wear the sashes


    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...main?id=628162
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,458
    They had enlisted to serve after graduation, so it is appropriate for them to wear the sashes to the ceremony. If they hadn't enlisted, it would be a disprespectful use of a military emblem.


    Graduates wear the honor society medals and honor roll sashes with their caps and gowns. I see these sashes as a similar honor, and the school or teacher involved was way out of line in stopping them.
     

  3. #13  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Alumni and Faculty all wear their University Graduate sashes at graduations .

    California State University Graduation Sash

    Students who studied abroad through Chico State for at least the summer may wear special SASH for graduation.
    The sash will display the colors of the flag of the country where you studied....If you studied abroad in more than one country, you can get a sash that is half one country and half another, (up to 8 countries total).
     

  4. #14  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I understand the point your trying to make, but go back and reread what you just said.

    You did just compair wearing something honoring the US Military, to nazi propaganda, or pro-terrorism.

    It's called using Common Sense Nova. If we can't trust these people to use that appropriately, then why are we trusting them to educate our children?
    I did. It's expression, the boys stated it clearly that they wore the stoles to speak to the audience about their after school choices. We live in a era of Zero Tolerance because we live in an era of litigation.

    The principal should have consulted the district attorneys and found out if they could make a hard and fast rule allowing the military stoles, and limited them to the military of the United States. Maybe she did.

    It also needs to be said that a graduation is a procession. Processions have rules. The persons in a graduation are ranked, and honors are given to those who have earned them and been awarded them by the authority conducting the procession. Now, I ask you, if you are at an Army awards ceremony where some people are going to get "best", some are going to get "gave it a good try" and some are going to get "good attendance"; should those in the good attendance group be allowed to wear gold stars on silk stoles simply because they want to stand out on the stage?
     

  5. #15  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    A
    You mean like insist on bringing their lesbian date to a prom and fighting it through the court system when they aren't allowed?
    Everyone brings a date to the prom, not everyone wears a stole to a high school graduation.

    Luanne bringing Zelda to the prom isn't an attack on my date, my religion, my country, or my values. Luanne wearing a Palestinian headrag, a Mexican flag, or a swastika is an assault on my religion, my country, and my values.

    These boys wearing military stoles (which I have never seen before and I went to a lot of graduations with a lot of military families) isn't offensive or disruptive. But schools have to think farther in front of the moment then you apparently think is necessary.
     

  6. #16  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I think he meant exactly what he said and the intent was there. I think it is time for this POS to go.
    Thank you for sharing.
     

  7. #17  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I did. It's expression, the boys stated it clearly that they wore the stoles to speak to the audience about their after school choices. We live in a era of Zero Tolerance because we live in an era of litigation.

    The principal should have consulted the district attorneys and found out if they could make a hard and fast rule allowing the military stoles, and limited them to the military of the United States. Maybe she did.

    It also needs to be said that a graduation is a procession. Processions have rules. The persons in a graduation are ranked, and honors are given to those who have earned them and been awarded them by the authority conducting the procession. Now, I ask you, if you are at an Army awards ceremony where some people are going to get "best", some are going to get "gave it a good try" and some are going to get "good attendance"; should those in the good attendance group be allowed to wear gold stars on silk stoles simply because they want to stand out on the stage?
    What you are being asked is why you chose "a necklace of jockstraps? Surely a Confederate flag stole would start a riot. Flags, icons, swastikas...." to compare Military Sashes to.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
     

  8. #18  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    What the hell is the matter with you? Do you like posting here?
    I'm looking at this from what I think is an objective standpoint in consideration of how litigation might ensue. How you CHOOSE to view that is beyond my control. I made it very clear that I don't equate the stoles with offensive iconography, but that legally it might be all considered expression. Is logic and academic approach a banning offense here now?

    Please instruct me here. Are we supposed to discuss things and look at them from multiple angles? Or are we all just supposed to jump up and down and scream about stuff like some folks on DU?
     

  9. #19  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    What you are being asked is why you chose "a necklace of jockstraps? Surely a Confederate flag stole would start a riot. Flags, icons, swastikas...." to compare Military Sashes to.
    I also wrote "it's not the same thing" but you chose to ignore that.
     

  10. #20  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I'm looking at this from what I think is an objective standpoint in consideration of how litigation might ensue. How you CHOOSE to view that is beyond my control. I made it very clear that I don't equate the stoles with offensive iconography, but that legally it might be all considered expression. Is logic and academic approach a banning offense here now?

    Please instruct me here. Are we supposed to discuss things and look at them from multiple angles? Or are we all just supposed to jump up and down and scream about stuff like some folks on DU?
    How could you possibly think a statement like that wouldn't be disrespectful and inflammatory.
    We have like two rules here and you find them and see if you can make a game out of seeing how close you can come to breaking them.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •