1. #1 ACU changes make Velcro optional, patrol cap default headgear 
    WASHINGTON (Army News Service, June 11, 2011) -- The voice of the Soldier has been heard: the Army announced the patrol cap will replace the black wool beret as the default headgear for the Army combat uniform.

Also changing are the options for how Soldiers can attach certain items to their ACU shirts. Army Chief of Staff Martin E. Dempsey said Soldiers will soon be able to sew on name tapes, service tapes, rank insignia and skill badges, instead of using Velcro.

The changes were made after Dempsey received input from Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond F. Chandler III, who had been tasked to gather opinions from Soldiers in the field.

"I am a scout for General Dempsey, who asked me to look into everything a Soldier wears from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet," Chandler said. "These are changes that the field said they wanted to see."

Typically, uniform changes come as a result of a board that meets twice a year. But Chandler said issues surrounding both the ACU headgear and the use of Velcro were changes the Army chief of staff wanted to bring to the Secretary of the Army immediately.

Chandler said he spoke with "several thousand" Soldiers and also received comments via social media sites, like Facebook. "I have also discussed this with my board of directors -- the most senior sergeants major of our Army," Chandler said. Post-deployment combat uniform surveys were used as a basis for the changes.

The No. 1 and No. 2 issues, Chandler said, involve the beret and Velcro.

"The Soldiers didn't like the fact that the beret was hot -- it was not something that they wore the majority of the time," he said. "And they didn't like the fact it didn't shade the sun and it took two hands to put on. And they didn't like to carry two pieces of headgear to do different functions during the day."

The beret has been the standard headgear for the Army's ACU -- the camouflage uniform worn by most Soldiers. But most Soldiers still needed to switch to the patrol cap based on the work they were doing -- in a motor pool or in the field, for instance.

Those Soldiers would have to carry two pieces of headgear with them, one in each pocket, and switch depending on what they was doing. In the field, they put on the patrol cap. Back on base, they'd have to switch to the beret.

The new policy will make the patrol cap the standard. But the beret isn't going anywhere. It will remain as the standard for the Army service uniform, and as an optional uniform item with the ACU -- at the discretion of commanders.

"They could choose to say for an event, like change of command, that they want them to wear the beret," Chandler said.

The change in the beret policy will save the Army about $6.5 million over the lifecycle of the ACU. New Soldiers had been issued two berets, now they will be issued one.

Chandler pointed out that Soldiers didn't ask to eliminate the beret -- just to change when it's worn. "Soldiers said we don't want to wear it with this uniform ... but they do feel they look very professional wearing it with the Army service uniform," Chandler said.

http://www.army.mil/article/59441/AC...ault_headgear/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I heard you guys were trying to change your pattern to the Marine one as well. Glad to know we aren't the only service that likes to change uniforms every other week.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I heard you guys were trying to change your pattern to the Marine one as well. Glad to know we aren't the only service that likes to change uniforms every other week.
    Yeah and the Jar Heads threw a major tantrum ver it calling the pattern "proprietary"...never mind the fact the Army's Natick Labs designed it for them.

I was one of the ones that participated in the SMA's online questioning about the uniform.

The current pattern only works if you're trying t hide against a cinder block wall.

What we'll end up with is something close to the Multi-cam pattern soldiers are wearing in Afghanistan right now.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Yeah and the Jar Heads threw a major tantrum ver it calling the pattern "proprietary"...never mind the fact the Army's Natick Labs designed it for them.

I was one of the ones that participated in the SMA's online questioning about the uniform.

The current pattern only works if you're trying t hide against a cinder block wall.

What we'll end up with is something close to the Multi-cam pattern soldiers are wearing in Afghanistan right now.
    We had an AF guy wearing that for a while at Manas. Made me worried we were looking at another uniform change before our ABU's had even gone "required". BDU's are still legal till the end of this year for us.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I just saw the Camo for the navy, it isn't very nice but I guess its just a uniform lol

It was a long time ago in a galaxy far away, but I was on a ship - a minesweeper - where the only uniform requirement was that you could not go barefoot. We all wore cut-off jeans and usually some kind of shirt.
    Later, we were issued the black beret with a Junk Force pin and we liked wearing that, but it was never required.

USS Impervious, MSO-449, 1967.........:)

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Actually, we like to change ours more frequently than that, or at least the underwear. Just for hygiene, you understand. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post

The ACU patter also works very well if you are doing a PowerPoint presentation, as the digital pattern tends to blend in with the pixels on the screen. I've ducked many a thrown laser pointer thanks to the ACUs. :D

Now, if only they'd change back to khakis for Class B's (instead of the ASU pants and shirt, or "mall cop" look)and Pinks and Greens for Class A's, we'd be getting somewhere.

Pinks and Greens are second from the left. Third from the right is the old khaki service dress for tropical climates.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Sergeant Major made a good decision. PC makes more sense for duty head gear. It was fine before, itll be fine now.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Sergeant Major made a good decision. PC makes more sense for duty head gear. It was fine before, itll be fine now.
    Yeah, except that the beret looks stupid with ASU. Should have gone back to the saucer cap and kept the beret for SF, Airborne and Ranger units for wear with ACU and Class A's.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Yeah, except that the beret looks stupid with ASU. Should have gone back to the saucer cap and kept the beret for SF, Airborne and Ranger units for wear with ACU and Class A's.
    I've got one thanks to my time at TOG...I plan on wearing it in my ASU's when ever I can.

Give the black beret back to the Rangers.