Thread: Sheep Diagnoses Woman With Breast Cancer

1. #1 Sheep Diagnoses Woman With Breast Cancer 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    — Alfie Purl, a sheep who lives in England's Cotswolds, is not the head-butting type. So when he went nuts and started bumping his owner—an archeologist named Emma Turner—in the chest one day, Turner "thought there must be something wrong with him."

As it turned out, however, something was wrong with her. A few days after Alfie's freak-out, Turner's chest developed a bruise—and the bruise developed a lump. Turner went to the doctor—because British people can do such things, at least for the moment—and learned she had breast cancer. Alfie had somehow "sensed" that cancer was inside her—or so the hospital staffers who cared for Turner believed: "The doctors and nurses said that if Alfie hadn't done what he did, when he did it, I wouldn't have found the lump for a few years, by which time it would have spread.

'Everyone at the hospital is convinced that Alfie saved my life."

http://gawker.com/5811679/sheep-diag...-breast-cancer

Turner went to the doctor—because British people can do such things, at least for the moment—and learned she had breast cancer.
    Yes, she can go to the doctor. No, she will not have the treatment options and survival-rate that I would enjoy. Americans have the best cancer treatment and cancer survival rates in the world.

Happily, she may have provided the NHS with a much needed diagnostic tool that could reduce initial waiting times for a diagnosis. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yes, she can go to the doctor. No, she will not have the treatment options and survival-rate that I would enjoy. Americans have the best cancer treatment and cancer survival rates in the world.

Happily, she may have provided the NHS with a much needed diagnostic tool that could reduce initial waiting times for a diagnosis. :)
    Or she could open her own diagnostic drive through with more alphie trained sheep.Somehow my vision of the NHS hospital corridors full of sheep crap and woolie critters won't quite go together !
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-14-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Sensing Sickness....Cancer-sniffing dogs have shown promise at detecting the disease in its early stages
    snip
    One of the touted leaders of the cancer-detection pack was a standard poodle named Shing Ling-hua, who worked as a therapy dog at the Pine Street Chinese Benevolent Association in San Anselmo and had been trained to try to detect cancer by smelling tubes containing breath samples of people with early- stage breast or lung cancer.

Spirited, happy and self-possessed, Shing Ling was said to be 90 percent successful in detecting tumors, according to the association's directors. She died earlier this year, leaving a void at the clinic and cutting short an apparently auspicious cancer-sniffing career.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...01/CM38469.DTL