Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Homosexuals are humans. Fundies and fetuses are not, really. Everyone knows that. [/DUmpMode]
    Silly me... :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

We believe:
    That faith in God gives meaning and purpose to human life;
    That the brotherhood of man transcends the sovereignty of nations;
    That economic justice can best be won by free men through free enterprise;
    That government should be of laws rather than of men;
    That Earth's great treasure lies in human personality;
    And that service to humanity is the best work of life.
    I honestly had no idea that the Jaycees had such lofty intellectual principles incorporated in their doctrine. I only remember them as being small business owners who got together to promote Main Street and the Christmas Parade in the winter and play golf in the summer.

I think an objective look at this would show that they are excluding an activity rather than a group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I honestly had no idea that the Jaycees had such lofty intellectual principles incorporated in their doctrine. I only remember them as being small business owners who got together to promote Main Street and the Christmas Parade in the winter and play golf in the summer.

I think an objective look at this would show that they are excluding an activity rather than a group of people.
    When I was a kid, they sponsored the baseball leagues in the rural Oklahoma town I grew up in.

I am with you on the principles, though. They sound almost leftist. But that could be because they are a Christian oriented organization. I really don't know that much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    When I was a kid, they sponsored the baseball leagues in the rural Oklahoma town I grew up in.

I am with you on the principles, though. They sound almost leftist. But that could be because they are a Christian oriented organization. I really don't know that much about them.
    There are a couple of lines that could be construed as leftist, but mostly, they come off as conservative.

That faith in God gives meaning and purpose to human life; Conservative take on religion.
    That the brotherhood of man transcends the sovereignty of nations; Neutral. Could be leftist, but also a Christian doctrine.
    That economic justice can best be won by free men through free enterprise; Conservative/Libertarian. Free enterprise tends to send lefties screaming for their copies of the Federal Register. Leftists would cite economic justice, but equate it with some sort of planned economy or wealth sharing program.
    That government should be of laws rather than of men; Neutral, but more conservative than liberal, especially when viewed in terms of Constitutional law.
    That Earth's great treasure lies in human personality; Neutral, but definitely in opposition to enviro-leftism, which sees humanity as a plague on mother Earth.
    And that service to humanity is the best work of life. Neutral to mildly leftist, but most conservatives would agree with that statement, as well.

BTW, the Elks have a similar credo:

To inculcate the principles of Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity; to recognize a belief in God; to promote the welfare and enhance the happiness of its Members; to quicken the spirit of American patriotism; to cultivate good fellowship; to perpetuate itself as a fraternal organization, and to provide for its government, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the United States of America will serve the people and communities through benevolent programs, demonstrating that Elks Care and Elks Share.
    For really gonzo dogma, you have to join the Raccoon Lodge.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

That faith in God gives meaning and purpose to human life; Conservative take on religion.Christian left but I can see where conservatives might fall in there as far as lip service - I say neutral but I think of Christians as being pretty far left
    That the brotherhood of man transcends the sovereignty of nations; Neutral. Could be leftist, but also a Christian doctrine. Definitely leftist ... the kind of thing that will get the nutwing right talking about treason
    That economic justice can best be won by free men through free enterprise; Conservative/Libertarian. Free enterprise tends to send lefties screaming for their copies of the Federal Register. Leftists would cite economic justice, but equate it with some sort of planned economy or wealth sharing program.I would tend to agree, there for the most part. Neoliberal value set where economic freedom brings political freedom
    That government should be of laws rather than of men; Neutral, but more conservative than liberal, especially when viewed in terms of Constitutional law. Neutral ... and conservatives only pretend to value the Constitution for dramatic purposes. They ignore it when its not on their side
    That Earth's great treasure lies in human personality; Neutral, but definitely in opposition to enviro-leftism, which sees humanity as a plague on mother Earth. Yea ... clean air and water are for commies
    And that service to humanity is the best work of life. Neutral to mildly leftist, but most conservatives would agree with that statement, as well. That is definitely left. The right is about the needs of the individual being paramount. Ayn Rand created an entire life philosophy that pretty much calls that sentence slavery. Not sure how you got neutral out of that..

Today is Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Today is Thursday.
    Liberals suck. Now where's my bathtub? I have a nation to drown.

Liberals suck. Now where's my bathtub? I have a nation to drown.
    What, and pollute that water? Fascist!

The line about only commies caring about clean air and water was old when Teddy Roosevelt set up the National Parks. The difference is that commies want to run the economy, and are willing to use the pretext of environmental concerns to do it, even though communism has the worst record on pollution of any economic system.

But, you keep that meme up. Just because it's false, hackneyed and infantile has never stopped a leftist before.
    --Odysseus

What, and pollute that water? Fascist!

The line about only commies caring about clean air and water was old when Teddy Roosevelt set up the National Parks. The difference is that commies want to run the economy, and are willing to use the pretext of environmental concerns to do it, even though communism has the worst record on pollution of any economic system.

But, you keep that meme up. Just because it's false, hackneyed and infantile has never stopped a leftist before.
    Yea. Levin. I've heard his schtick. He just wants "freedom" from the "tyranny" of not being allowed to piss in your drinking water.

Yea. Levin. I've heard his schtick. He just wants "freedom" from the "tyranny" of not being allowed to piss in your drinking water.
    Let me be sure that I understand this: Since I listen to Mark Levin's show, I am therefore just a mouthpiece for his opinions, since I can't possibly have an independent thought? This from a guy who can't form an opinion that doesn't come wrapped in a PBS tote bag (Quick! It's pledge week! Get your checkbook and make it out to Big Bird, care of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Ministry of Truth). Now, to rub your nose in your ignorance and refusal to address the content of my comments:

First, communist states really do have horrific records on environmental issues. Look at what the Soviets did to the Aral Sea, or what the Chinese breath for that matter. But, they are also perfectly happy to use environmentalism to take power over economic activities, as the Global Warming hoax has amply demonstrated.

Second, as I have stated before, conservatives also breath air and drink water, despite your belief to the contrary (I know, you believe that we ingest industrial sludge that's been spiced with the bile of puppies and wash it down with copious amounts of orphans' tears, but that's NPR for you). We also have an interest in clean air and water, we just don't think that the government has our best interests at heart when they run amok and grab power that isn't theirs. Prime example is the federal jurisdiction over "wetlands". The Constitution gives congress authority over the "Navigable waters" of the United States. That was always understood to mean rivers and lakes large enough to be navigated by boats, especially those that crossed state borders. But, after the failure of the Migratory Bird Act, which sought to restrict hunting of waterfowl, the Army Corps of Engineers was given authority over lands in which navigable waters drained, i.e., "wetlands" (or, as they used to be called, swamps). But even that wasn't enough power for the feds. They then redefined wetlands to include any water-covered area that might provide a habitat for waterfowl, which meant that any body of water that could be viewed from the air qualified. This became known as the "glancing geese" standard, believe it or not. People who filled in puddles in their yards were cited by the ACE and EPA for destroying "wetlands". That is what is called "tyranny". And it isn't Mark Levin saying it, it's me.

Third, if you really feel that there is a risk of urine in your drinking water, stop pissing into the wind whenever you respond to a post and try to avoid the "talk radio" meme. It's a sloppy, lazy response to arguments that you don't like addressing directly, and you're not fooling anyone but yourself.
    --Odysseus