Hybrid View

1. #1 Medical benefits 
    Does anybody know what criteria you must meet in order to qualify for medical benefits as a veteran? In particular, I'm looking for help with a Vietnam veteran...served 4 years, currently has private medical insurance but it will probably not cover all the medical expenses that he has and some of the referrals now are out of network. Does he qualify for any type of medical assistance through his veteran status?

I think Tri-care should take care of him, at least as a supplemental plan.

Quote Originally Posted by pyackog View Post
    I think Tri-care should take care of him, at least as a supplemental plan.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm going to see about how to get him signed up.

Shouldn't he be eligible for VA services?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Shouldn't he be eligible for VA services?
    I would think so. He has medical insurance, so he never really bothered with it. But he really should be receiving disability for the illness. He finally put in a claim a couple of weeks ago, but I'm sure that will take time. I'm looking into Veterans Benefits to handle potential co-pays because the referred docs may be out of network for his primary insurance and the treatment is probably going to be pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Does anybody know what criteria you must meet in order to qualify for medical benefits as a veteran? In particular, I'm looking for help with a Vietnam veteran...served 4 years, currently has private medical insurance but it will probably not cover all the medical expenses that he has and some of the referrals now are out of network. Does he qualify for any type of medical assistance through his veteran status?
    Tri-care is for current military and dependents. As a Vietnam vet, he is entitled to VA benefits. If he has his DD-214, that should be all the documentation that he needs. Here is the page to apply for health benefits: https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!