1. #1 " Mother Arrested For Trying to See Her Child at School " 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    NEW MILFORD -- A mother was arrested,and Hill and Plain Elementary School was locked down late Tuesday morning because the woman went onto school property and allegedly knocked on windows to try to see her child, police said.

April Gage, 33, of Prospect Street, was arrested and charged with second-degree criminal trespass and second-degree breach of peace....Gage was held on $1,500 bond for an appearance Wednesday in state Superior Court in Bantam.

http://www.newstimes.com/local/artic...ew-1425621.php

Sounds like it was in contravention of a custody order.

Whenever I went into my childrens schools, I had to walk inside.. and sign a visitor thing and get a pass. If my child needed to be taken out of school... same protocol. Since this mom does not have custody of her child, the school did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Whenever I went into my childrens schools, I had to walk inside.. and sign a visitor thing and get a pass. If my child needed to be taken out of school... same protocol. Since this mom does not have custody of her child, the school did the right thing.
    Can't argue with it. The grandparents have custody (the article didn't say if it was the maternal or paternal grandparents), but that usually means that the parent is either underage or, given that the mom is 33, under some sort of penal supervision or control.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Can't argue with it. The grandparents have custody (the article didn't say if it was the maternal or paternal grandparents), but that usually means that the parent is either underage or, given that the mom is 33, under some sort of penal supervision or control.
    It's probably due to mental health and/or substance abuse issues. A lot of cases never make it to CPS because the family takes care of it and someone responsible gets guardianship of the kids. This is especially likely the higher the income of the relatives-if they don't need money from the state to take care of the kids, why drag the mom through family court, especially if mom is a schizophrenic or something like that, for which there isn't any kind of reliable long-term treatment available.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It's probably due to mental health and/or substance abuse issues. A lot of cases never make it to CPS because the family takes care of it and someone responsible gets guardianship of the kids. This is especially likely the higher the income of the relatives-if they don't need money from the state to take care of the kids, why drag the mom through family court, especially if mom is a schizophrenic or something like that, for which there isn't any kind of reliable long-term treatment available.
    That was pretty much my thought, although abuse can also factor into it. I know a couple of grandparents who are raising their grandchild in order to keep him away from the father, who is a brutal SOB. I'm glad that they were able to intervene, as he's a truly sweet kid, and I think that they got to him early enough to preserve the kid's sanity (they got him as a toddler). Gramps is a local fire chief with police powers, and I'd hate to be the guy who crossed him.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    That was pretty much my thought, although abuse can also factor into it. I know a couple of grandparents who are raising their grandchild in order to keep him away from the father, who is a brutal SOB. I'm glad that they were able to intervene, as he's a truly sweet kid, and I think that they got to him early enough to preserve the kid's sanity (they got him as a toddler). Gramps is a local fire chief with police powers, and I'd hate to be the guy who crossed him.
    Abuse can factor in, but most often it's due to substance abuse by one or both parents (usually both, as it's rare for drug addicts to stay long with sober people). It's a sad situation for grandparents. They were meant to spoil grandchildren and enjoy their twilight years, and yet they're having to do the hard work of parenting all over again.