1. #1 Yucky or what? Thailand's 13 most totally and utterly repulsive dishes 
    Yucky or what? Thailand's 13 most totally and utterly repulsive dishes
    Live shrimp, fermented oysters and red ants. Even Thais have trouble stomaching some of the country's most notorious delicacies

By Mark Wiens 16 June, 2011

Not all Thai food arrives at the table with a seductive appearance and sensational aroma. In fact there are quite a few dishes that not just foreigners but many Thais gag at the thought of eating.

But as disgusting as the majority may find them, even the most horrifying of dishes have devout fans who consider them a delicacy they fantasize about daily.

In honor of these culinary mavericks, here's a list of the most repulsive Thai dishes out there.
    1. Goong Ten

Goong ten

Always wanted to know what it feels like to have tiny shrimp dance the cha-cha in your mouth? Try goong ten. With a name that literally means "dancing shrimp," you'd better believe this dish is alive.

A frenzy-filled salad, goong ten is mixed in a metal bowl while the transparent little shrimp attempt in vain to wiggle their way to freedom.

Why some people love it: I'll be the first to admit that a spoonful of the dancing critters is both entertaining and delicious. After taking a bite, the shrimp rupture with saltiness and climax with a pleasant crunch.
    Read more: Yucky or what? Thailand's 13 most totally and utterly repulsive dishes | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/eat/tha...#ixzz1PST3hesq

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my meals to be dead at a minimum (although I'm prepared to be flexible about them being cooked).

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my meals to be dead at a minimum (although I'm prepared to be flexible about them being cooked).
    I usually agree, but not always. I love eating ice-cold, freshly shucked oysters - scooped right out of the shell and into my mouth. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

It makes the yuck-factor of liver and onions or blood sausage seem pretty tame, doesn't it?

Power CUer
    I would willingly eat some of those dishes before beef liver. :eek:
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken