Thread: " Is 'Uppity' now on the 'Reserved Word List ' For The Black Upper Crust ?"

Hybrid View

1. #1 " Is 'Uppity' now on the 'Reserved Word List ' For The Black Upper Crust ?" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Georgia lawmaker describes Obama, wife as 'uppity'
    Halimah Abdullah

WASHINGTON — A Republican lawmaker is facing criticism over using the racially charged term "uppity" to describe Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, on Thursday.

Rep. Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia used the word in a conversation with reporters just outside the House chamber about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Michelle Obama.

According to The Hill newspaper, a Washington publication, Westmoreland said, "Just from what little I've seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity."

Westmoreland spokesman Brian Robinson said the congressman was using the Webster's dictionary meaning of the word and was unaware of additional racial context.

"He meant the Webster's definition of uppity, he didn't mean anything racially tinged or anything used as a code word," Robinson said in an interview. "He never heard the term used in a racially derogatory sense. He used the word as a synonym for elitist, which he stands by. He thinks the Democratic nominee has an inflated sense of self esteem and is snobbish. He is sorry if it was offensive to anyone who took it in any way that it was not."

The Obama campaign said it took no racial offense.

Charges of racially insensitive language have dogged Republican lawmakers as the party stepped up criticism of the first African American to head a major party ticket.

In April, Rep. Geoff Davis, R-Ky., told the state's annual Lincoln Day dinner that he was unimpressed with Obama's performance during a war simulation for members of Congress and referred to Obama as "boy."

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/v-print/story/51762.html

So...what....Obama does act uppity. They seem to look for some race related remark every time anything is said. About that uppity wife of his, well, don't get me started.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadie5 View Post
    So...what....Obama does act uppity. They seem to look for some race related remark every time anything is said. About that uppity wife of his, well, don't get me started.
    Well she has every right don't you see.She Is .....better than thee and I by virtue of education and class ,American royalty as it were .

uppity??

Hah! I had a black employee file a EEOC grievance against me once when she claimed that my attitude (not my words or actions) made her "feel" like an uppity black woman.

Sadly, the moment in question required her (a salaried, not hourly, employee) to make so many copies of a document that needed to go with a courier to our law offices in a short time. She slacked off on the get-with-it angle and produced 20 unusable copies due her negligence in quality-checking.

I had to make the copies myself and had an example of her handiwork and many witnesses to the exchange. Needless to say, I won, she lost, and she's not my problem anymore. That's the one and only instance in my life where I have heard "uppity" used by non-actors - non-professional actors, I mean. She was acting up a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    uppity??

now now - nust because he's looking down his nose at working class people who cling to guns and religion does not mean he's uppity. . . . . no not at all. . . . . except totally . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.