Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1 Toss it out Thursday 
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,417
    Weather... nice

    We are thinking of moving south in a couple years. I look at 25 years of accumulated um... stuff and wonder what to keep and what to pitch out.

    TOTD: What have you thrown out that you wish you shouldn't have or what have you kept laying around that you should have disposed of.

    Note to AA: spouses do not count.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Georgia
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Note to AA: spouses do not count.
    Do kids count?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,967
    Quote Originally Posted by pyackog View Post
    Do kids count?
    You read my mind.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,425
    I've never regretted anything I've gotten rid of; usually I never even think about it again.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,139
    Selling my 1991 Honda Accord a few years ago. Good car. Had it's wear and tear issues but what vehicle doesn't? The reason why I sold it was because I didn't want to pay insurance on 3 vehicles while only driving 2 regularly.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    It looks like T-storms for this afternoon but that's fine.

    TOTD: Our last move involved 18 years of stuff. Linda is completely correct, you not only won't miss it (whatever it is) but in a few weeks you will be incapable of even visualizing it.

    I still have a bunch of my mother's collectable china. When we moved, I should have kept one or two pieces and then worked with a dealer or somebody to sell/auction off the rest. The stuff takes up boxes and boxes and I'm not china collector myself so it goes unappreciated.

    I pruned books ruthlessly when we moved but I should have done more.

    Just throw half of all your dishes and kitchen gadgets away. Three weeks later after you have unpacked, pour yourself a stiff drink and donate half of what you kept.

    If the item is something you've kept all these years because it was amusing when you were 23, throw it out. No joke should run that long.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Weather... nice

    We are thinking of moving south in a couple years. I look at 25 years of accumulated um... stuff and wonder what to keep and what to pitch out.

    TOTD: What have you thrown out that you wish you shouldn't have or what have you kept laying around that you should have disposed of.

    Note to AA: spouses do not count.
    My grandmother's buttons. She always saved buttons because during the Depression they were "dear". It was great if I was missing a button, as she could always completely replace an entire set at a moment's notice. She kept them in an ancient cookie tin. I kept looking at them and looking at them, trying to figure out something I could do with them (short of sewing, as I don't do that) and finally decided there was nothing I could do with them, so I threw them out. Before I was halfway home I regretted it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,425
    Two questions for Ginger:

    1. What do you mean by collectable china? If you mean dinner services, let's talk. I might be able to do a deal with you. If it's plates that say "Christmas 1978", not so much.
    2. You don't have to wait three whole weeks to have that stiff drink, do you??
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    My grandmother's buttons. She always saved buttons because during the Depression they were "dear". It was great if I was missing a button, as she could always completely replace an entire set at a moment's notice. She kept them in an ancient cookie tin. I kept looking at them and looking at them, trying to figure out something I could do with them (short of sewing, as I don't do that) and finally decided there was nothing I could do with them, so I threw them out. Before I was halfway home I regretted it.
    You shouldn't regret it. I'll bet your grandmother would have had a good laugh (or been horrified) if she'd been told that her smart and accomplished granddaughter felt guilty over throwing away a bunch useless buttons. ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You shouldn't regret it. I'll bet your grandmother would have had a good laugh (or been horrified) if she'd been told that her smart and accomplished granddaughter felt guilty over throwing away a bunch useless buttons. ;)
    My grandmother never wasted a thing...that was a much bigger sin than, for instance, my own when she and my grandfather had to pay the bail money for my college indiscretions! I regretted it because later I realized I could have at least sewn them on a pillow or something to keep as a keepsake.

    I'm sure she's thrilled, though, that I did managed to staple some new fabric onto the old sewing chair that she had and am using it as a conversation piece in the living room. :D She sacrificed so I could have things. I feel guilty for having discarded them. And I feel horrible that nobody but me wanted her old pots.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •