Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Changing Tides: Research Center Under Fire for "Adjusted" Sea-Level Data 
    Is climate change raising sea levels, as Al Gore has argued -- or are climate scientists doctoring the data?

The University of Colorado’s Sea Level Research Group decided in May to add 0.3 millimeters -- or about the thickness of a fingernail -- every year to its actual measurements of sea levels, sparking criticism from experts who called it an attempt to exaggerate the effects of global warming.

"Gatekeepers of our sea level data are manufacturing a fictitious sea level rise that is not occurring," said James M. Taylor, a lawyer who focuses on environmental issues for the Heartland Institute.

Steve Nerem, the director of the widely relied-upon research center, told FoxNews.com that his group added the 0.3 millimeters per year to the actual sea level measurements because land masses, still rebounding from the ice age, are rising and increasing the amount of water that oceans can hold.

"We have to account for the fact that the ocean basins are actually getting slightly bigger... water volume is expanding," he said, a phenomenon they call glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA).

Taylor calls it tomfoolery.

"There really is no reason to do this other than to advance a political agenda," he said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1PYhS2P8j
    Hmmm...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Hmmm...
    No way...these guys would NEVER fudge the numbers...
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    No way...these guys would NEVER fudge the numbers...
    Few things piss me off like fudging data. Especially when it's deliberate like this.

The AF has a major problem with it's climo data right now. Because a certain Director of AF Weather, who shall not be named, signed off on a peice of shit observing system, we have bad data being recorded and transmitted. I've seen things like erroneously measured rain fall of the scale of 6" (when we had about .5") transmitted out to the official record.

Shit like that has consequences. And this bullshit about AGW is one of them.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Few things piss me off like fudging data. Especially when it's deliberate like this.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but false or altered weather data could have a direct and possibly negative effect on things involving the aircraft won't it?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but false or altered weather data could have a direct and possibly negative effect on things involving the aircraft won't it?
    It depends.

Something hugely blatant, like saying it's sky clear out, and it's really overcast at 200 feet could have impacts. A couple of years ago, when I came on shift, a mission that had originally been briefed sky clear conditions arrived at the airfield and found it below mins with fog. This happened to be a Presidential Support mission, and it got quite a bit of attention, with a few airmen getting some major ass chewings.

But reporting overcast when it's broken really won't have any issue on the flight. But repeated reports of it will have the record showing that there was more moisture in the atmopshere then there really was, which leads to the models being skewed.

The AF has a major problem with it's climo data right now. Because a certain Director of AF Weather, who shall not be named, signed off on a peice of shit observing system, we have bad data being recorded and transmitted. I've seen things like erroneously measured rain fall of the scale of 6" (when we had about .5") transmitted out to the official record.

Shit like that has consequences. And this bullshit about AGW is one of them.
    Clearly, there is some disagreement on the use of GIA in sea level measurements but to claim that deception is the intent of the adjustment is itself deception-- just the kind of tomfoolery I expect from the ignoramuses at Heartland Institute.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Fabulous Poster
    Hmmm...
    Isn't this squeezing the balloon? If land masses are rising, then the ocean is getting deeper relative to the land masses, right? So the sea levels, which are only relevant if measured to the dry land rather than the depth of the ocean, would not be rising, they would be falling. Which is pretty much what this guy has said:

Rise of sea levels is 'the greatest lie ever told'
    The uncompromising verdict of Dr Mörner is that all this talk about the sea rising is nothing but a colossal scare story, writes Christopher Booker.
    Christopher Booker6:25PM GMT 28 Mar 2009150 Comments
    If one thing more than any other is used to justify proposals that the world must spend tens of trillions of dollars on combating global warming, it is the belief that we face a disastrous rise in sea levels. The Antarctic and Greenland ice caps will melt, we are told, warming oceans will expand, and the result will be catastrophe.
    Although the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) only predicts a sea level rise of 59cm (17 inches) by 2100, Al Gore in his Oscar-winning film An Inconvenient Truth went much further, talking of 20 feet, and showing computer graphics of cities such as Shanghai and San Francisco half under water. We all know the graphic showing central London in similar plight. As for tiny island nations such as the Maldives and Tuvalu, as Prince Charles likes to tell us and the Archbishop of Canterbury was again parroting last week, they are due to vanish.
    But if there is one scientist who knows more about sea levels than anyone else in the world it is the Swedish geologist and physicist Nils-Axel Mörner, formerly chairman of the INQUA International Commission on Sea Level Change. And the uncompromising verdict of Dr Mörner, who for 35 years has been using every known scientific method to study sea levels all over the globe, is that all this talk about the sea rising is nothing but a colossal scare story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...ever-told.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Clearly, there is some disagreement on the use of GIA in sea level measurements but to claim that deception is the intent of the adjustment is itself deception-- just the kind of tomfoolery I expect from the ignoramuses at Heartland Institute.

Just can't admit that the Druids who defend and perpetuate the AGW hoax are lying and cooking the books to support their bullshit can you?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Isn't this squeezing the balloon? If land masses are rising, then the ocean is getting deeper relative to the land masses, right? So the sea levels, which are only relevant if measured to the dry land rather than the depth of the ocean, would not be rising, they would be falling. Which is pretty much what this guy has said:

Rise of sea levels is 'the greatest lie ever told'
    The uncompromising verdict of Dr Mörner is that all this talk about the sea rising is nothing but a colossal scare story, writes Christopher Booker.
    Christopher Booker6:25PM GMT 28 Mar 2009150 Comments
    If one thing more than any other is used to justify proposals that the world must spend tens of trillions of dollars on combating global warming, it is the belief that we face a disastrous rise in sea levels. The Antarctic and Greenland ice caps will melt, we are told, warming oceans will expand, and the result will be catastrophe.
    Although the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) only predicts a sea level rise of 59cm (17 inches) by 2100, Al Gore in his Oscar-winning film An Inconvenient Truth went much further, talking of 20 feet, and showing computer graphics of cities such as Shanghai and San Francisco half under water. We all know the graphic showing central London in similar plight. As for tiny island nations such as the Maldives and Tuvalu, as Prince Charles likes to tell us and the Archbishop of Canterbury was again parroting last week, they are due to vanish.
    But if there is one scientist who knows more about sea levels than anyone else in the world it is the Swedish geologist and physicist Nils-Axel Mörner, formerly chairman of the INQUA International Commission on Sea Level Change. And the uncompromising verdict of Dr Mörner, who for 35 years has been using every known scientific method to study sea levels all over the globe, is that all this talk about the sea rising is nothing but a colossal scare story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...ever-told.html
    Oh, God! Not the dowsing guy! I think we can discount his opinions on water outright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils-Ax...ews_on_dowsing
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

How does anyone pretend that the ocean level can be accurately measured?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand