Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Like I said, I'm not the climate expert that Wilbur is. :D

I assumed that underwater masses would lose heat faster because I lose heat faster in water than air. :D
    Wilbur will be in here as soon as he can postulate a ridiculus theory to blame the sunspots on AGW. I still suspect it's because we need more Prius' eco cars.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

2. #12 Are we headed for a new ice age? 
    Answer: No.

Are we headed for a new ice age?

Much ado was made over the recent news that the Sunís magnetic activity may be cooling off over the next few years. Can this mean the Earth itself will literally cool off, slipping into an ice age? Some news sites are reporting it that way (of course, the execrable Daily Mail uses the headline "Earth facing a mini-Ice Age Ďwithin ten yearsí due to rare drop in sunspot activity"; which isnít even within a glancing blow of reality).

The answer ó spoiler alert! ó is almost certainly "no". I want to make sure thatís clear, because I will bet essentially any amount of money that some climate change denial sites will run with this story and claim that we donít need to worry about global warming. Thatís baloney, and what follows is why. The reasons take a minute to explain, but of course thatís where the cool stuff (haha!) is. So letís take this one step at a time. And if you have the attention span of an E. coli bacterium, you can skip down to the conclusion section.

[Note: a lot of this is taken from my book "Death from the Skies!", where I interviewed approximately a bazillion people. One in particular was Caspar Ammann, who was very helpful in explaining the solar connection with the Little Ice Age to me.]

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...-a-new-ice-age
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Can you give me the winning lottery numbers?

Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    ooh....mr TNO is back....

Time for another owl movement!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Ok, now that you've stated our response, provide your reasoning.

I'll be waiting.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Ok, now that you've stated our response, provide your reasoning.
    I thought the article I posted did a good job explaining why a solar minimum will probably not lead to an ice age, so assume my position to be based on that.

I'll be waiting.
    What is it with you guys and the waiting? Are you guys trying to be dramatic or something?
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 06-18-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

I thought the article I posted did a good job explaining why a solar minimum will probably not lead to an ice age, so assume my position to be based on that.

What is it with you guys and the waiting? Are you guys trying to be dramatic or something?
    Trying to give you every chance to be honest.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

No, you just tend to dissapear for a while, so I'll most likely end up waiting for a response.

As to the article that you linked, that guy is all over the place, and really is only supporting the argument of those he's trying to refute in the end.

He goes on to argue that the weakening solar activity directly lead to effects in the atmosphere that affected the Jet Stream, aiding in the Little Ice Age.

The dependence is complicated, but the bottom line is the jet stream is weaker when thereís less ozone (it has to do with latitude-dependent temperature gradients across the upper atmosphere; those gradients are strong in winter and weak in summer). Ozone creation depends on UV from the Sun, which is weaker during a solar minimum. See where this is going? Weaker magnetic activity on the Sun means less ozone which means a weaker jet stream which means it meanders more, bringing cold air south in some places.
    His own words.

He tries to throw you off by stating that the Maunder minimum started long after the "Little Ice Age" did, but he doesn't tell you about the Sporer and Wolf minimums that took place during the earlier periods of it. The three minimums got progressively "stronger", and there is a direct correlation between those and the lowering temperatures in that period of time. The coldest temps were associated with the strongest minimum.

I mean look at that. Wolf minimum, drop in temps. Sporer minimum, bigger drop in temps. Maunder minimum, bigger drop in temps.

So don't expect me to take what he's saying with any value. Either he's trying to mislead, or he's just not doing enough research.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Given the fact that the Eco Weenies have been caught...again...fudging numbers to support their Global Warming Hoax...I'd trust the stuff my 13 y/o son tells me about the environment over these so called "experts".
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.