Thread: Unemployment rate unexpectedly soars to 6.1%

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Untill we get a handle on the oil prices (drill now), people, like me, aren't going anywhere or doing anything.
    While I was in Hawaii, the people I talked to said the tourist trade was down 30-40%, yet the idiots in the restaurant trade had jacked up prices. Captive audience I guess.
    There's no way you can trust her. Her missile is gigantic

Come on folks - lets all get together and sing the song.........:)

The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    Bet your bottom dollar
    That tomorrow
    There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about
    Tomorrow
    Clears away the cobwebs,
    And the sorrow
    'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck a day
    That's gray,
    And lonely,
    I just stick out my chin
    And Grin,
    And Say,
    Oh!

The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    So ya gotta hang on
    'Til tomorrow
    Come what may
    Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
    I love ya Tomorrow!
    You're always
    A day
    A way!
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post

The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    Bet your bottom dollar
    That tomorrow
    There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about
    Tomorrow
    Clears away the cobwebs,
    And the sorrow
    'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck a day
    That's gray,
    And lonely,
    I just stick out my chin
    And Grin,
    And Say,
    Oh!

The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    So ya gotta hang on
    'Til tomorrow
    Come what may
    Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
    I love ya Tomorrow!
    You're always
    A day
    A way!
    A six pack of beer or a bottle of wine is much easier. :p
    There's no way you can trust her. Her missile is gigantic

Patent Member
    Why don't you just come out and say it.

"Hooray for the Savior, The Messiobama!" Because once he gets into office everything will be candycanes and rainbows again.

You're so damn transparent.

The way I figure it, 4 - 5% of the population just don't want to work. Are welfare recipients figured into unemployment rates? Serious question. I hope not.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The way I figure it, 4 - 5% of the population just don't want to work. Are welfare recipients figured into unemployment rates? Serious question. I hope not.
    While I'm not sure, I think long-term unemployed roll off the lists and therefore are not counted. Additionally, the 1% of the total population (greater of the work-eligble population) who are in jail are also not included. Include those two groups and your number goes up to close to 8%

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    You're so damn transparent.
    At least I can say, via my vote, Obama won't win because of me. You''ll have to find someone else to scapegoat.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Bush Has a Good Economic Record

By KEITH MARSDEN
    September 3, 2008; Page A23

Successive speakers at the Democratic National Convention poured scorn on President Bush's economic record. The clear aim was to justify the party's call for "change," and to undermine support for Republican presidential nominee John McCain. His election would mean a "third Bush term," delegates groaned.

Yet Democrats cited no good evidence for their claims that the administration has produced a stagnant economy, widening disparities of income and wealth, high unemployment, and a heavy burden of government debt (supposedly resulting from an unwise military intervention in Iraq).

How does the performance of the U.S. economy really compare with other advanced economies over the eight years of George Bush's presidency? Data published by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the World Bank, the International Comparison Program (ICP) (a cooperative venture coordinated by the World Bank) and the U.S. Census Bureau allow a nonpartisan, factual assessment. Here are some of the findings:

- Economic growth. U.S. output has expanded faster than in most advanced economies since 2000. The IMF reports that real U.S. gross domestic product (GDP) grew at an average annual rate of 2.2% over the period 2001-2008 (including its forecast for the current year). President Bush will leave to his successor an economy 19% larger than the one he inherited from President Clinton. This U.S. expansion compares with 14% by France, 13% by Japan and just 8% by Italy and Germany over the same period.

The latest ICP findings, published by the World Bank in its World Development Indicators 2008, also show that GDP per capita in the U.S. reached $41,813 (in purchasing power parity dollars) in 2005. This was a third higher than the United Kingdom's, 37% above Germany's and 38% more than Japan's.

- Health services. The U.S. spends easily the highest amount per capita ($6,657 in 2005) on health, more than double that in Britain. But because of private funding (55% of the total) the burden on the U.S. taxpayer (9.1% of GDP) is kept to similar levels as France and Germany. The U.S. Census Bureau reports that 84.7% of the U.S. population was covered by health insurance in 2007, an increase of 3.6 million people over 2006. The uninsured can receive treatment in hospitals at the expense of private insurance holders.
    - Income and wealth distribution. The latest World Bank estimates show that the richest 20% of U.S. households had a 45.8% share of total income in 2000, similar to the levels in the U.K. (44.0%) and Israel (44.9%). In 65 other countries the richest quintile had a larger share than in the U.S.
    Now I'm no economic guru but I'd venture a guess that Rising fuel costs combined with the traditional fall season jump in unemployment coupled with the recent rise in Min wage had something to do with the rise in the UE numbers.
    Last edited by Zeus; 09-05-2008 at 12:13 PM.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    While I'm not sure, I think long-term unemployed roll off the lists and therefore are not counted. Additionally, the 1% of the total population (greater of the work-eligble population) who are in jail are also not included. Include those two groups and your number goes up to close to 8%
    I know I see ALOT of able bodied people here that just don't wanna work. Easier to get welfare or disability. There are jobs out there, people just want to start at the top. Everyone thinks they should start off in managment.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned

If I lived in the kool-aid state, I would be crying too and it's all King George's fault. Arnuld and the loonies in the CA legislature are doing a bang up job with the economy and lowering taxes. NOT. Instead of worrying about Bushe, you better pack your shit and move out.:):):)

6.1% unemployment is a hell of a lot better than the EU. Germany rate is over 10%. Since you and CW think this country is going to hell in a hand basket, you'll could always move over there with their wonderful health care. Oh, that's right, you do not like paying 60 to 70% tax rates over there. That's just tough shit. I appreciate living in the greatest country in the world with great opportunity. If you don't think so, don't let the door hit you in the ass. There is a list miles long for those that want to come to the USA.