Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I know I see ALOT of able bodied people here that just don't wanna work. Easier to get welfare or disability. There are jobs out there, people just want to start at the top. Everyone thinks they should start off in managment.
    Jobs are scarce around here right now. Over 500 people applied for my current job.:eek:
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Jobs are scarce around here right now. Over 500 people applied for my current job.:eek:
    As I recall, you got it for your "people skills?"
    :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    As I recall, you got it for your "people skills?"
    :eek:
    Oh Shit Snap!!! :eek:
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    While I'm not sure, I think long-term unemployed roll off the lists and therefore are not counted. Additionally, the 1% of the total population (greater of the work-eligble population) who are in jail are also not included. Include those two groups and your number goes up to close to 8%
    This is correct.

To be counted as unemployed you must be actively seeking employment. If you retire early, or are just a lazy fuck and don't want to work, you don't get factored into the unemployment rate. If you have failed to find a job, and just stop looking, then you don't get counted.

The unemployment rate is calculated by people who are looking for work, but cannot find any (other variables are there too, such as you must be over 16, not in jail etc).

See the economic concepts of full employment and types of unemployment
    Last edited by wilbur; 09-05-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    That's just tough shit. I appreciate living in the greatest country in the world with great opportunity. If you don't think so, don't let the door hit you in the ass. There is a list miles long for those that want to come to the USA.
    Oh stop with that leave the country shit - you dried up old dogturd!

Saying things are fucked up because of the last two Bush administrations just reflects reality.

Watch how this country turns around by this time next year and you will finally realize how fucking retarded you were to vote for the schmuck - twice.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior
    <OP snipped>
    I guess it's valid that you would make such a post.

After all, I remember all these years when unemployment was below 5%, you were the first one to post congratulating the president on doing such an excellent job.

When the market was above 15,000, it was always you that started the thread thanking the president for the increase in your portfolio.

When Arsenal was dominating, you were always there giving props to Bush for organizing such a prolific team.

/end rolleyes

:p

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    When the market was above 15,000, it was always you that started the thread thanking the president for the increase in your portfolio.
    :p
    Wow - when was that? I wasn't aware the market was ever above 14.1k, last October.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Wow - when was that? I wasn't aware the market was ever above 14.1k, last October.
    14K, 15K, 100K. What's the difference relative to the point of the post? I don't think Bush ever coached Arsenal either. I'll have to go check. ;)

Power CUer
    The president - no matter who it is - is not a market driver, but whether it ever got to 15k matters a lot to some of us.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    When Arsenal was dominating, you were always there giving props to Bush for organizing such a prolific team.
    Wow - when was that? I wasn't aware the team was ever above mediocre.
    [/linda#s]