1. #1 AARP Pivots on Social Security Benefit Cuts 
    AARP Pivots on Social Security Benefit Cuts

Published June 17, 2011

| The Wall Street Journal

Washington – AARP, the powerful lobbying group for older Americans, was dropping its long-standing opposition to cutting Social Security benefits, a move that could rock Washington's debate over how to revamp the nation's entitlement programs, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

The decision, which AARP has not discussed publicly, came after a wrenching debate inside the organization. In 2005, the last time Social Security was debated, AARP led the effort to kill President George W. Bush's plan for partial privatization. AARP now concludes that change is inevitable, and it wants to be at the table to try to minimize the pain.

"The ship was sailing. I wanted to be at the wheel when that happens," according to John Rother, AARP's longtime policy chief and a prime mover behind its change of heart.

The shift, which was vetted by AARP's board and is now the group's stance, could have a dramatic effect on the debate surrounding the future of the federal safety net, from pensions to health care, given the group's immense clout.

At the same time, AARP runs the risk of alienating both its liberal allies, who vowed to fight any benefit cuts, and its 37 million members, many of whom were deeply opposed to such a move.

To win them over, AARP was preparing coast-to-coast town hall meetings to explain the problem and possible solutions.

In an early sign of its new approach, AARP declined to join a coalition of about 300 unions, women's groups and liberal advocacy organizations created to fight Social Security benefit cuts.
    I almost put this in the End of the World Forum.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1PXnQjeXY

Perhaps enough people declined to join their group, stating that it was a tool of the left and didn't responsibly represent the best interests of its constituents. I have steadfastly refused to donate a dime through membership to that group and doubt if I'm the only one. SR won't join either.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    Believe me when I say there is an end game here and it is financial rewards. AARP does not give a shit about Seniors or the paltry dues that they collect. They rake in almost a billion dollars in selling their crappy mutual funds and all kinds of high priced insurance to unsuspecting suckers. They were in on the Obamacare insurance health plan that excluded the state of FL from any changes in medicare supplemental plans. They will be at the table if and when SS cuts are made to offer supplemental insurance that will be offered thru them so that they can screw more seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Believe me when I say there is an end game here and it is financial rewards. AARP does not give a shit about Seniors or the paltry dues that they collect. They rake in almost a billion dollars in selling their crappy mutual funds and all kinds of high priced insurance to unsuspecting suckers. They were in on the Obamacare insurance health plan that excluded the state of FL from any changes in medicare supplemental plans. They will be at the table if and when SS cuts are made to offer supplemental insurance that will be offered thru them so that they can screw more seniors.
    This is probably true. I never the got the impression that AARP was anything other than con game.