Thread: Desert Living

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Desert Living 
    I had an awesome coyote sighting this morning at work. He stopped right in front of my car and just stared at me. Then he took his sweet time walking over to the desert area as if to say, "This is my road, not yours. I'll move when I'm darn good and ready." I wasn't going to argue! I just wish I had thought to snap a photo on my phone.

We have lots of little critters in the surrounding area at work. Coyotes, jack rabbits, cotton-tailed bunnies, quail. I'm sure there are snakes and scorpions aplenty too. It's OK if I never see those creatures.

The jack rabbits crack me up the most because they are huge. Seriously, they are like the size of small-to-medium sized dogs. I have no idea what they are eating out there but they are definitely well-fed and healthy.

Do you see any critters in your area on a regular basis?
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Just heard on the radio that there are some coyotes in my area but I live in the 'burbs so people are not happy about it. About the only critters I see regularly are squirrels and birds. The vultures'll show up too if there is any roadkill around.

Quote Originally Posted by pyackog View Post
    Just heard on the radio that there are some coyotes in my area but I live in the 'burbs so people are not happy about it. About the only critters I see regularly are squirrels and birds. The vultures'll show up too if there is any roadkill around.
    Yeah, that's a pretty common problem around here. Especially in areas like Cave Creek and Scottsdale where the homes encroach right up to the mountains and desert. Coyotes will come into the neighborhoods and eat the homeowners cats and small dogs on a pretty regularly basis.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I had an awesome coyote sighting this morning at work. He stopped right in front of my car and just stared at me. Then he took his sweet time walking over to the desert area as if to say, "This is my road, not yours. I'll move when I'm darn good and ready." I wasn't going to argue! I just wish I had thought to snap a photo on my phone.

We have lots of little critters in the surrounding area at work. Coyotes, jack rabbits, cotton-tailed bunnies, quail. I'm sure there are snakes and scorpions aplenty too. It's OK if I never see those creatures.

The jack rabbits crack me up the most because they are huge. Seriously, they are like the size of small-to-medium sized dogs. I have no idea what they are eating out there but they are definitely well-fed and healthy.

Do you see any critters in your area on a regular basis?
    Tons of deer, quite a few fox this year, raccoons, squirrels, opossums, skunks, chipmunks, etc. It's possible that I saw a coyote a while back, but hard to be sure, as it was too far away and I only got a quick view before he went trotting off through the woods.

In Florida, I see huge iguanas
    In Georgia, I've seen deer and fox.

I live right by a nature preserve so we see all we want and then some. There's a fox that patrols through my front yard every day, the coons hang out in my yard all nigh, and coyotes are endemic. The county is shooting them this year because there are too many. We also have eagles, hawks, and Great Horned owls (scary if you aren't used to them), bats galore, beavers, snakes, etc. They are trying to keep the deer to the west of us and I've seen a lot in the greenbelts but none on my street so far.

The dogs have pretty much taken care of the coyote problem here. Had a skunk last year blast the dogs...

Deer are a very common sight....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I just saw a deer in Redford TWP, on the campus of Methodist Children's Home. Considering that this is a program for teenaged boys, the deer are pretty brave and come up close to people.

mainly just coons here
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

The 82nd Airborne.

rm -rf obama*