Thread: Is Israeli-style airport security coming to America?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1 View Post
    I flew to Isreal form JFK on ELAL, which used to be Israel's national airline until it was privatized. When you see their security, it becomes obvious why this contract was signed.

When you stand in line during check in, they have trained employees who look for signs of nervousness. If they are suspicious, they will question you on line before you even get to the checkout gate. If you answer any questions wrong, even a small detail, or tell them something else that they don't like, you will either be refused entry to the plane right there, or be taken to a side room for a full interrogation, maybe even a strip search. And even after that, you might be refused entry to the plane.

They have their own security separate from the airport's. They scan your full body and luggage. The luggage that passed the scanner is then taken to a side room and searched throughly. Sometimes, when I landed, the inside of my luggage was arranged differently then when I packed it.

All of the stewards and stewardesses on the plane have prior military experience, and they have undercover people on board who are packing heat and not afraid to use it.

They also racially profile Arabs. Many arabs don't make it past security. Some do.

For those that are concerned about the constitution, they do this here, in America. If you don't believe me, fly to Israel on ELAL.

I haven't been on a plane since 1984-I prefer driving places, whenever possible, and seeing the landscape and eating at local restaurants as I travel. If I ever go to Europe or west of the Rockies, I'll fly.

But reading all I have about post 9-11 airport security, I'd rather see something like this, that is comprehensive, than the whole "no hair gel or hand lotion" stupidity thing they've got going now.

Patent Member
    I don't understand the issue here Sonnabend. If you want to fly to Europe, there's no problem. Only when you start trying to bring contraband onto the airplane do the problems arise.

Legitimate business people will adapt, they will bring a carryon overnight bag with them and have luggage shipped, or they would plan ahead and abide by the two week notice.

While this would be a huge inconvenience for a lot of people, I don't see how it tramples on any Constitutional rights.

Resident Grump
    I don't understand the issue here Sonnabend. If you want to fly to Europe, there's no problem. Only when you start trying to bring contraband onto the airplane do the problems arise.
    Biccat: the issue is his idiotic comment "they dont have to fly"...my immediate reply is what does he suggest they do....walk? The rest is fine....his idiocy is in suggesting that flight is a luxury.

Flight is a necessity.

And compounding his stupidity is in considering just how much the US and the rest of the world is dependent on air travel.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Biccat: the issue is his idiotic comment "they dont have to fly"...my immediate reply is what does he suggest they do....walk? The rest is fine....his idiocy is in suggesting that flight is a luxury.

Flight is a necessity.

And compounding his stupidity is in considering just how much the US and the rest of the world is dependent on air travel.
    Sure, but that doesn't mean we should cripple ourselves. Airports require a security check. You aren't required to go through this check, but if you don't, then you don't fly.

Yes, it was an idiotic comment, but I think you're getting hung up on it. LogansPapa is just upset because Obama decided to support Israel, and now he's sad that he will be voting for a Jew-Lover, so he's trying to pick fights.

Resident Grump
    Sure, but that doesn't mean we should cripple ourselves. Airports require a security check. You aren't required to go through this check, but if you don't, then you don't fly.
    Agree 100%. Whatever measures are there to make the process easier, more accurate and more effective, go for it. I dont mind at all...I would be happy to go through an effective process.

Yes, it was an idiotic comment, but I think you're getting hung up on it. LogansPapa is just upset because Obama decided to support Israel, and now he's sad that he will be voting for a Jew-Lover, so he's trying to pick fights.
    I know...it's kind of sad, LP really only has to functioning brain cells.

One's gotten itself lost...the other is out looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post

Because we canít copy and paste the archives from the previous site, I will - again - publicly state, for this knobís education: I have no choice but to vote for Mr. John McCain, as a matter of loyalty to my father - who served with the man. Thatís it - end of story.

(I can do this just as long as you wish to insult the memory of an MCPO of the USN)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post

Because we canít copy and paste the archives from the previous site, I will - again - publicly state, for this knobís education: I have no choice but to vote for Mr. John McCain, as a matter of loyalty to my father - who served with the man. Thatís it - end of story.

(I can do this just as long as you wish to insult the memory of an MCPO of the USN)
    Oh please. Your conduct insults his memory far more than anything any of us could say.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Oh please. Your conduct insults his memory far more than anything any of us could say.
    Using my freedom of speech and thinking independently insults the memory of his service? Interesting. Stupid, but interesting.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Using my freedom of speech and thinking independently insults the memory of his service? Interesting. Stupid, but interesting.
    If that's what you call your antisemitic ravings and discombobulated commentary, more power to you. Personally, I'd be embarrassed to bring my father's former stature into a debate, but only because I can fight my own battles.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    If that's what you call your antisemitic ravings and discombobulated commentary, more power to you. Personally, I'd be embarrassed to bring my father's former stature into a debate, but only because I can fight my own battles.
    Well, looking at what the United States of America sends to the State of Israel every year designated just for military hardware only, I find that very hard to believe. ;)