Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Spread The Word To End The Word 
    Oh, Lordy. Didn't know if this was for here or Stupid Liberal Tricks but I posted it in GD but if it isn't the appropriate forum, feel free to move. However, I just saw this commercial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T549VoLca_Q

So let me get this straight. We have the "N" word, the "C" word, and now we have the "R" word? Any more words you want to omit because someone's feelings might be hurt? How about Tea Bagger? That is a slur, no? Oh, and I love the "It's not acceptable to call me a fag" when gays call each other fags all the time. Same with blacks and the "N" word. So, IMO, you want to get rid of a word? Stop using it yourself.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Whenever a Hollywood half-wit tells me not to say something, I feel compelled to use it in everyday conversation.

That being said, I have used that term before and have felt completely guilty afterward, so I understand the point of their message. But I didn't need them to tell me why it's wrong. My moral compass is not busted so mind your own business Hollywood, thank you very much.

OMG unless you are calling a retard a retard who the hell cares if you use it?

How retarded.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I have no reason to use the N word or the C word, or to call a gay man a fag. It really doesn't matter to me whether black people call each other the N word (or use it in music). That still doesn't make it okay for me to use those words, and ultimately, I'm only responsible for my speech and actions.

There is a difference, however, between using the term "Mentally Retarded" and calling someone a retard. Although it is not the socially approved diagnostic term now, it was until the 70s or 80s.

The actress' condition isn't accurately described by the term mentally retarded or by the current term "developmentally delayed". She has Down's Syndrome, which is about more than just the intellectual capacity, and she's way up high on the functional scale for that condition.

Taking the first letter of a word one doesn't want to say and adding a"-word" suffix to it has to be the most brilliant F-wording disguise of all time. There's no way anyone will know what your thinking when you use this clever tactic.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

"Retarded" was at one point, a medical diagnosis designed to replace the then common term "idiot". "Idiot" was the medical term for what we now label as "developmentally delayed".

No one has used the term "retarded" medically for 30 or 40 years. It has no currency when speaking of people with Down syndrome (the very few people today who are allowed to survive with Down's thanks to prenatal testing).

It's simply a pop culture term for non-medical idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    "Retarded" was at one point, a medical diagnosis designed to replace the then common term "idiot". "Idiot" was the medical term for what we now label as "developmentally delayed".

No one has used the term "retarded" medically for 30 or 40 years. It has no currency when speaking of people with Down syndrome (the very few people today who are allowed to survive with Down's thanks to prenatal testing).

Idiot, moron, imbecile, were all medical terms and all basically meant the same thing: developmentally challenged. Who here hasn't heard each and every one of these words used to describe someone we consider less than intelligent? The term retarded means to be held back. To retard development means you can't move forward in your development for one reason or another. Mentally retarded means that, mentally, you are stuck at an early age even though physically you might be an adult.

But the issue here is deeper than words. We as a society have become spaghetti spined, thin skinned whiners. When I was a kid and someone would call me a name and I would go crying to my mother, she would always tell me to ignore it. And believe you me as someone who was one of the youngest in a neighborhood of about 30 kids, I got teased a lot. That advice my mother gave me has helped me a lit, especially in my line of work. Care to imagine the kind of vitriol I hear all day long at work? It's a name. It's words. Grow a frigging spine and a set of cajones for God's sakes. Sticks and stones people. Sticks and stones. Even a freaking nursery rhyme gets it.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Taking the first letter of a word one doesn't want to say and adding a"-word" suffix to it has to be the most brilliant F-wording disguise of all time. There's no way anyone will know what your thinking when you use this clever tactic.
    Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I thought that they all started out being called "progressives." :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I prefer Dumbass to the R-word.