Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Defiant Spanish Language Lecture of Texas Legislators Goes Viral with Video 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Video of the testimony of immigrant rights activist Antolin Aguirre, who chose to lecture Texas legislators in Spanish Monday, despite living in the United States for 23 years and taking naturalized citizenship in 2001, was posted on YouTube, and has gone viral after being posted by Drudge. David Paulin brought the shocking display of arrogance to national attention on Thursday on AT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoR3q...layer_embedded

This can only be described as ethnic chauvinism. A gringo would never get away with this in Mexico.

It is one thing to speak in one's native tongue in a quest to be acurate. But Aguirre was reading from a prepared statement, and demonstrates a fine command of English, as ought to be the case for anyone of adequate intelligence living in this country for more than two decades.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ith_video.html

I heard about this thursday, and think that the first Senator is correct, what he did WAS insulting.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Fabulous Poster
    I have no idea how long this went on after the video stops, but it that wasn't the end then the Assemblyman should have gotten up and walked out.

Yes, languages and cultures change over time. Migration, legal and illegal does happen over time. But as natural as that is, so is resistance to cultural invasion. This is a somewhat organic process which often produces excellence. One of the reasons that English is the international language of science, commerce, and diplomacy is because it is that the British Isles have been infused with the cultures of their conquerors from the Celts to the Normans. And unlike many places, England in particular assimilated it's invaders, and in a cultural survival of the fittest the language has kept parts of other languages- the parts which were either more accurate, easier to manage, or simply more appealing.

Resistance is part of the process. Resistance is a cultural editor. Resistance has given us a language that is easy to learn and difficult to master, a very precise language which has four different words for the states of one thing, unlike some languages where you have water, and frozen water, we have ice. We have pig, pork, and ham.

I fully expect many Spanish words to replace English words. "Bodega" is clearly superior to "corner store" , "convenience store", or "mom and pop shop". There are probably many words in Spanish which are more concise than English, but overall Spanish appears to be cumbersome. At Megabank, the Spanish language operators were given more time to deal with clients than the English operators.... a lot more time. Obviously, the language can be beautiful but it's archaic. Progress in global terms would surely mean moving to a single language, and Spanish isn't it.

One of the legal requirements for naturalization is a command of the English language. If, 23 years after arriving here, Antolin Aguirre still doesn't speak it in public, his citizenship ought to be reexamined and possibly revoked.

BTW, since English proficiency is a requirement, and only citizens can vote (at least, that used to be the case before the DNC and ACORN got involved), ballots should be English-only.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    One of the legal requirements for naturalization is a command of the English language. If, 23 years after arriving here, Antolin Aguirre still doesn't speak it in public, his citizenship ought to be reexamined and possibly revoked.
    I did not realize the first amendment had a caveat which meant the freedom was only applicable to speaking English.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I did not realize the first amendment had a caveat which meant the freedom was only applicable to speaking English.
    An applicant for naturalization must be at least eighteen years old.

Residency

An applicant must be a legal permanent resident in the U.S. The applicant must have an I-551 (Alien Registration Card) to proceed.

Residence and Physical Presence

Just before applying, a naturalization applicant must have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months out of the previous five years. However, if the applicant was absent for more than six months but less than one year, the applicant may still be eligible if he or she can show that the absence was not an abandonment of resident status.

Good Moral Character

A naturalization applicant must show good moral character during the five-year period prior to application (three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for certain military exceptions). Murder convictions are a permanent obstacle to naturalization, as are aggravated felony convictions on or after November 29, 1990.

Certain criminal convictions in the five years prior to the application will bar naturalization, but even if the applicant fears that a conviction will ruin his or her application, all convictions must still be disclosed. It is far worse to have U.S. immigration authorities discover a falsehood than to disclose the issue.

Attachment to the Constitution

An application for naturalization must declare the applicant's willingness to support and defend the U.S. and the Constitution. An applicant declares his or her "attachment" to the U.S. and the Constitution at the time he or she takes the oath of allegiance.

Language

Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English words in ordinary use. Some applicants may be exempt because of age or mental condition.

U.S. Government and History Knowledge

An applicant for naturalization must demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of U.S. history and certain principles of U.S. government. Applicants are exempt if they have a medically recognizable physical or mental impairment that affects their ability to learn or understand these topics.

Oath of Allegiance

U.S. citizenship is conferred after the oath of allegiance is taken. A modified oath may be available in certain instances, such as religious opposition to oaths.

Legal Help with the Naturalization Process

Successfully naturalizing in the United States requires a thorough understanding of the steps involved, and careful preparation at each stage. If you or a loved one are considering becoming a U.S. citizen through naturalization, you should contact an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through each step of the process and protect your legal rightshttp://immigration.findlaw.com/immig...ents&HBX_OU=50
    Now, all of this said, a majority of the population of this country speaks English, most exclusively. In order to function in a society, there has to be a level of understanding and the primary way to accomplish this is through verbal communication. That said, if you want to come into this country and want to function as a productive member of society, then one must learn to communicate the language of the majority of the populace. I'd certainly expect to speak French if I wanted to live in France(who are a million more times more arrogant about their language than we are about ours). If this is something that is alien to you, then you are an idiot.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Now, all of this said, a majority of the population of this country speaks English, most exclusively. In order to function in a society, there has to be a level of understanding and the primary way to accomplish this is through verbal communication. That said, if you want to come into this country and want to function as a productive member of society, then one must learn to communicate the language of the majority of the populace. I'd certainly expect to speak French if I wanted to live in France(who are a million more times more arrogant about their language than we are about ours). If this is something that is alien to you, then you are an idiot.
    What is becoming clearer and clearer to me is that those who hold up the Constitution as their guiding governing document and demand others bow to its near perfection either haven't read it or secretly hold it in contempt.

What is becoming clearer and clearer to me is that those who hold up the Constitution as their guiding governing document and demand others bow to its near perfection either haven't read it or secretly hold it in contempt.
    I've read it fine and can bet I have a greater understanding of it then you ever will. However, the above I stated is about survival in a foreign land, not about a requirement. If you can't speak English, then I will do my best to ignore you, even if you're bleeding to death. Because if you can't answer my questions on whether or not you need help, I can be held civilly liable if I attempt to impose my will(help you) on you. Thank your leftist liberal lawyers for that.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

omg
    you are unbelievable, if you cant see this is a slap in the face to the people of Texas then you are big asshole then I gave you credit for.

I've been to Texas. Most Texans' grasp of the English language may be a slap in the face to Americans. I needed a translator when I was there.