Thread: All-Star Week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Two shifts down, one to go.

On Friday I worked at an autograph stage. Our "legend" was Kelly Stinett. Basically I stood around for three hours and made sure no one jumped the ropes to cut in line. Let's just put it this way. No one cared to cut in line for Kelly Stinett. :D But I did get his autograph and a pic. It was toward the end of his signing session so I think he was just sick of it because he was not terribly friendly.

Today was a blast. I won a hat and water bottle at the volunteer bullpen (where we sign in, get our assignments, etc.). I headed out thinking I was going to the World's Largest Baseball and then was told I was being moved to the MLB Network booth. I got to help the kiddos be little broadcasters, threw out foam baseballs as the crowds passed by, and watched Derek Jeter's HR 3,000th hit with several hundred of my fellow baseball fans. There was a lot of fun energy today.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Don't know to many legends who were career .234 hitters. We actually had him for like 15 minutes several years ago.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    Two shifts down, one to go.

On Friday I worked at an autograph stage. Our "legend" was Kelly Stinett. Basically I stood around for three hours and made sure no one jumped the ropes to cut in line. Let's just put it this way. No one cared to cut in line for Kelly Stinett. :D But I did get his autograph and a pic. It was toward the end of his signing session so I think he was just sick of it because he was not terribly friendly.

Today was a blast. I won a hat and water bottle at the volunteer bullpen (where we sign in, get our assignments, etc.). I headed out thinking I was going to the World's Largest Baseball and then was told I was being moved to the MLB Network booth. I got to help the kiddos be little broadcasters, threw out foam baseballs as the crowds passed by, and watched Derek Jeter's HR 3,000th hit with several hundred of my fellow baseball fans. There was a lot of fun energy today.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
    Sounds cool. Congrats on the hat and water bottle and I guess on the autograph. :D I never heard of Kelly Stinett, but that doesn't mean much. Not nice to be so unfriendly when he was at the FanFest. Mark McGwire could be a real pr___ when he was playing for the Cards.

The thing about the MLB Network booth sounded like the best assignment. My company had a product show at Busch Stadium in St Louis. We got a tour of the stadium, including the broadcast booth. We even got to see the large exercise ball that Mike Shannon used as a chair during the broadcasts. (Apparently he has a bad back).

Have fun tomorrow.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan
    Don't know to many legends who were career .234 hitters. We actually had him for like 15 minutes several years ago.
    That's why I used "legend" loosely. :D We (the volunteers) actually had to look him up because none of us knew who he was. :o He played for quite a few teams it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Sounds cool. Congrats on the hat and water bottle and I guess on the autograph. :D I never heard of Kelly Stinett, but that doesn't mean much. Not nice to be so unfriendly when he was at the FanFest. Mark McGwire could be a real pr___ when he was playing for the Cards.

The thing about the MLB Network booth sounded like the best assignment. My company had a product show at Busch Stadium in St Louis. We got a tour of the stadium, including the broadcast booth. We even got to see the large exercise ball that Mike Shannon used as a chair during the broadcasts. (Apparently he has a bad back).

Have fun tomorrow.
    I would love to visit the press boxes and more exclusive areas of Chase Field. Someday. Hopefully someday.

Last night, Steve Garvey was signing autographs and apparently fans were hacked off because he was on his cellphone pretty much the entire time he was signing. Come to find out this morning that he got fired from the Dodgers organization. I bet he wasn't in the friendliest of moods! :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    That's why I used "legend" loosely. :D We (the volunteers) actually had to look him up because none of us knew who he was. :o He played for quite a few teams it turns out.

I would love to visit the press boxes and more exclusive areas of Chase Field. Someday. Hopefully someday.

Last night, Steve Garvey was signing autographs and apparently fans were hacked off because he was on his cellphone pretty much the entire time he was signing. Come to find out this morning that he got fired from the Dodgers organization. I bet he wasn't in the friendliest of moods! :eek:
    Those guys need to suck it in and be decent to the fans. He might have been fired by the Dodgers, but likely will be picked up by another team. I love baseball, but some of them act like spoiled brats. I used to be a McGwire fan til I learned how he acted off the field. He was a real jerk to the Missouri Athletic Club. He thought he was so high and mighty that he wouldn't let them know til the last second that he wouldn't attend a big banquet where he had been elected athlete of the year. Bigger and better athletes than he happily accepted the award and signed autographs.

If they're ever going to act decent, it should be at the Fan Fest. I guess that I'm old fashioned, but I think they have some sort of obligation to at least act a bit enthusiastic with the fans.

Sounds like other than him, everything was fun. Hope you had a good day today, looking forward to hearing all about it.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

All done! Today I was a greeter. Just giving directions and sending people on their way. It was nice to be away from the main hall because it was kids day and when I did a loop during my break, it was crazy, crowded, and chaotic. Glad I wasn't working the main floor.

All kids who entered got this frightening Baxter figurine. He's got the eye makeup. Now he just needs the long tongue and platform shoes and he can headline a KISS concert. I think if they had handed this to me as a kid, I would have handed it back to Mom and Dad and said, "You're kidding me, right?" :D