Thread: Help! I'll Be Debating the Tea Party...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Help! I'll Be Debating the Tea Party... 
    OneAngryDemocrat (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-20-11 10:56 PM
    Original message
    Help! I'll Be Debating the Tea Party...
    Advertisements [?]
    Edited on Mon Jun-20-11 11:03 PM by OneAngryDemocrat
    I'll be debating the leader of the local Tea Party at our public library in July. We have agreed to to toss up to 10 questions, each, into a hat, and pool them for the event. The topic is Paul Ryan's budget. Can you DU'ers think of some questions that I haven't already?

PS: That is DEBATING as in DEBATE, not DE-BAT. I don't think anyone can de-bat the Tea Party.

1. If the Tea Party opposes "Big Government" how can the Tea Party support the concept of a military that takes up fully half of the federal government’s operating budget? Is it the nation's job to police the world?

2. Do we truly have a free market system when large corporations and banks can (and do) get hundreds of billions of dollars in tax subsidies, which are little more than taxpayer funded corporate welfare handouts? Isn't government picking winners and losers by awarding tax subsidies to some companies and penalizing others by fully taxing them?

3. The Tea Party insists on 'small' government, rather than upon 'good' government no matter what its size, but is simultaneously calling for more and more legislation that regulates the personal freedoms of individual Americans (gay marriage bans, the curtailing of abortion rights, et cetera). When the Tea Party calls for smaller government, aren't they REALLY saying they want BIG government in the America's bedrooms, but 'small' government in the America's corporate boardrooms?

4. If tax breaks "create" jobs, why didn't the biggest corporations which paid no taxes whatsoever in 2010 experience phenomenal growth? Does the Tea Party believe that companies which have outsourced American jobs should be rewarded with tax breaks, which is precisely what the Ryan plan does?

5. The criminal prosecution, or even investigating America's bankers for mortgage fraud, has been largely ignored by the Tea Party, while a matter of paramount concern for those who describe themselves as liberals or progressives. If the Tea Party is truely concerned with justice and stopping corporate crime, why has the Tea Party demanded less regulatory oversight for corporations, and not made criminal prosecution for corporate criminals a cornerstone of the movement?

6. The word "corporation" or "company" never appears in the Constitution. Do corporations have constitutional rights, as two recent high-profile split-decision rulings by the Supreme Court have suggested?

7. Corporations exercising their Supreme Court awarded "rights" to free speech effectively grants members of corporate entities more than one voice when participating in our elections– individual members of a corporation speaking as private citizens can contribute to candidates or causes of their choosing, and then give again when donating funds as "corporate persons." This practice also allows them to give, large, secret donations to fund politicians and political causes – is this fair to every other American taxpayer who doesn't, themselves, have a 'corporate' identity? If so, why?

8. The Tea Party has supported union-busting legislation across the country. How does legislatively prohibiting government employees the ability to bargain collectively help those American citizens who just so happen to be government employees? Why should government employees be refused a seat at the table when decisons regarding their hours of work, working conditions, and wages and benefits are decided? What do they lose, as government employees, that other American workers do not, and why?

9. The Tea Party has supported "right-to-work" legislation across the country. How can the Tea Party support "choice" in the work place, and not also support "choice" in the corporate boardroom? Why are labor unions targets for the Tea Party's demand that union funds allocated for political purposes be distributed NOT as the majority of union members decide, but as the individual union member decides, while shareholders in a corporation are not afforded the same liberty to pick and choose where their corporate cash is spent when corporations donate to political causes, no matter what the majority of shareholders say?

10. Torte reform is one of the rallying cries for the Tea Party movement, which penalizes the victims of bona fide medical malpractice, while simultaneously protecting the insurance industry, large pharmceutical companies and other corporate medical concerns. While over 100,000 lives are lost per year due to medical malpractice and bad drugs, are Americans being protected against the privations of the Washington DC health industry lobbyists, or simply being preyed upon, with so-called torte reform legislation?

11. Trillions of dollars are speculated on Wall Street without any sales tax, while average Americans pay 6%, 7% or 8% sales tax on the basic necessities we buy in stores. If the Tea Party demands less taxation and lower deficits, why is it not fighting to stop big corporations from escaping their fair share of taxes, and are, in fact, fighting FOR tax subsidies for the speculators?
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=1335793

I can see this DUmmy jotting down all the answers the other DUmmies give him. Then looking down on a piece of paper as he *debates*.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

I sure hope this idiot tries to debate using the idiocy contained in his call for help. The Tea Party member will kick his liberal @$$ is my prediction.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I'd ask the DUmmie what a taxpayer is. If the DUmmie means federal income tax then the DUmmie just ruled out 42% of the country. I'd ask the DUmmie why that's OK and if the DUmmie thinks that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    I'd ask the DUmmie what a taxpayer is. If the DUmmie means federal income tax then the DUmmie just ruled out 42% of the country. I'd ask the DUmmie why that's OK and if the DUmmie thinks that's fair.
    Actually, as per 2009, that would be 51% of the country.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Actually, as per 2009, that would be 51% of the country.
    I saw 2011 articles that quoted 42%, 46% and 50%. I took the most conservative estimate. :D

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    bet he comes and claims he won even though he'll have his ass handed to him, those questions are crap
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I've always enjoyed the sheer number of DUmmies who ask for help answering questions they can't answer by themselves, although they do seem to know that the other person is wrong.

I only had to read question #1 and stop there. Like all DUmbasses this one doesn't have a clue and is going to get their sorry ass smoked in that debate....but, then again, we already know that.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I only had to read question #1 and stop there. Like all DUmbasses this one doesn't have a clue and is going to get their sorry ass smoked in that debate....but, then again, we already know that.
    But of course, the DUmmy will claim that he mopped the floor with the Tea Party person and probably toss in a bouncy story to boot.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post

Kinda hard to debate honestly when each "question" is either based on a lie or is so factually inaccurate as to be a joke.

ETA: Note to lurking DUmmies...the Defense budget a fraction of what your precious "entitlements" do when it comes to spending within the Federal Budget every year.
    Last edited by txradioguy; 06-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.