Thread: Jury reaches verdict in sweat lodge case

1. #1 Jury reaches verdict in sweat lodge case 
    CAMP VERDE, AZ - Jurors in central Arizona have reached a verdict in a self-help author's manslaughter trial, according to court officials.

Judge Warren R. Darrow entered the Camp Verde courtroom just after 2:50 p.m. and asked jurors to hand over their verdict.

The jury found James Arthur Ray not guilty of manslaughter but guilty of negligent homicide in the deaths of Kirby Brown, Elizabeth Neuman and James Shore.

The jury had been considering whether James Arthur Ray is responsible for the deaths of three people following an October 2009 sweat lodge ceremony he led near Sedona.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...eat-lodge-case

Fabulous Poster
    Could have fooled me, I though "negligent homicide" IS manslaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Could have fooled me, I though "negligent homicide" IS manslaughter.

I don't know what the difference is, either, but my guess is that the difference involves the level of intent to do harm. Manslaughter can be when two guys are in a fight and one punches the other in the head at the right speed and in the right place on the head to kill the other guy. He intended harm, but not death.

This guy had no intention of harming anyone, but didn't pay close enough attention to prevent death. But his negligence was serious enough to merit a criminal charge in addition to civil liability cases.

Every state writes their criminal code differently, and uses different terms for offenses sometimes than most other states use . Florida uses the term Sexual Battery in cases that in Michigan we label one of 4 degress of Criminal Sexual Conduct, for example. But in Michigan we use the term "Assault and Battery" for misdemeanor assaults that don't involve weapons.