Thread: American Airlines Switching From Paper to iPads Save $1.2 million

1. #1 American Airlines Switching From Paper to iPads Save $1.2 million 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    American Airlines is eyeballing iPads as a light-weight way to carry flight charts. And the company guesses the change will save it over a million dollars a year in fuel costs.

The move towards digitization and dematerialization is hitting the airlines now. MarketWatch reports that American Airline pilots have started testing out US-approved iPad tablets as a way for going paperless. A 1.5 lb tablet device will carry maps and other paperwork that can weigh as much as 35 lbs, saving space in the cockpit as well as removing excess weight from the flight.

The airline estimates a savings of $1.2 million a year in fuel costs alone -- not to mention how much will be saved in paper. Plus, the pilots will likely have an easier time accessing the information with the ability to zoom in on maps or easily find particular data.

The transition also marks a change in allowing electronic devices to be turned on during take-off and landing. According to MarketWatch, this will be the first time use of the device is allowed during all phases of flight. But that certainly doesn't mean passengers will be allowed to use their own iPads during these times.

Meanwhile, Alaska Air is looking to go the same route, providing iPads to its pilots for manuals, though maps will still be provided on paper.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011...on-in-fuel.php

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    i never understood why they make you turn off stuff...seems pointless to me. I never turn my phone off at the doctors office or hospital and it hasn't interfered with anything
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    i never understood why they make you turn off stuff...seems pointless to me. I never turn my phone off at the doctors office or hospital and it hasn't interfered with anything
    Nothing that you know of.
    The problem for the airliner is that it is constantly sending and receiving information and many different frequencies. Radar, communications, that stuff. And if you are communicating on a harmonic (2X) of the frequency or subharmonic (1/2) then you could cause interference. It's not very likely, but it can happen.

I was selling a cable locater to the phone company in Chattanooga once, and we found we could not use it around the airport because the radio frequency from the tower caused our equipment to malfunction. So we sent the locaters back and changed our frequency.

Banned
    Do you have an authority complex or are you just an asshole all the time? No one wants to hear your c.p. beeping or any of your dumb ass conversations.

Looks like TruckerMe explained to you.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 06-23-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Nothing that you know of.
    The problem for the airliner is that it is constantly sending and receiving information and many different frequencies. Radar, communications, that stuff. And if you are communicating on a harmonic (2X) of the frequency or subharmonic (1/2) then you could cause interference. It's not very likely, but it can happen.

I was selling a cable locater to the phone company in Chattanooga once, and we found we could not use it around the airport because the radio frequency from the tower caused our equipment to malfunction. So we sent the locaters back and changed our frequency.
    I just figured most of their signals were strong enough that cells wouldn't bother anything, and most likely the other way around, their stuff would mess with mine if anything. I could understand 20 years ago when phones were new and such having people turn it off, just not so much now.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Do you have an authority complex or are you just an asshole all the time? No one wants to hear your c.p. beeping or any of your dumb ass conversations.

Looks like TruckerMe explained to you.

it's usually on vibrate asshole, and if I do need to talk to someone, I go outside.

Banned

it's usually on vibrate asshole, and if I do need to talk to someone, I go outside.
    When they have signs plastered on the wall to turn the damn off, you leave yours on vibrate mode. Go figure. I betcha you are one one of those assholes that drive and talk on it.