Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New Jersey Lawmakers Approve Benefits Rollback for Public Workers 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    TRENTON — New Jersey lawmakers on Thursday approved a broad rollback of benefits for 750,000 government workers and retirees, the deepest cut in state and local costs in memory, in a major victory for Gov. Chris Christie and a once-unthinkable setback for the state’s powerful public employee unions.

The Assembly passed the bill 46 to 32, as Republicans and a few Democrats defied raucous protests by thousands of people whose chants, vowing electoral revenge, shook the State House. Leaders in the State Senate said their chamber, which had already passed a slightly different version of the bill, would approve the Assembly version on Monday. Mr. Christie, a Republican, was expected to sign the measure into law quickly. <-- Note the need to point out the party of Christie

The legislation will sharply increase what state and local workers must contribute for their health insurance and pensions, suspend cost-of-living increases to retirees’ pension checks, raise retirement ages and curb the unions’ contract bargaining rights. It will save local and state governments $132 billion over the next 30 years, by the administration’s estimate, and give the troubled benefit systems a sounder financial footing, mostly by shifting costs onto workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/ny...c-workers.html

The Dems control both houses here, so this is only possible due to them wanting to get off the blame of this mess they caused. The public unions are up in arms and are protesting this, as expected, and Dems in N.J. are expected to take a massive hit come '12 at the polls for betraying the Unions.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Mr. Christie, a Republican, was expected to sign the measure into law quickly. <-- Note the need to point out the party of Christie
    Good. That way people will remember who the hell turned this state around. Hello, public employees, we pay you, welcome to a tiny taste of our world. Are you there to serve or be served? Snap out of it!
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

This affects me and for my line of work, it sucks. I work around all kind of crap. They already did away with our SLI(State liability insurance) meaning if I get hurt on the job, I go on workman's comp instead of SLI. The difference was that on SLI I got my full salary and my benefits aren't affected. On workman's comp, I only get 75% of my salary and I would have to make my health insurance payments current or risk getting put on COBRA and would have to make up any pension payments missed when I eventually get back to work. Now before you all get that look on your face, remember what I do for a living. Getting hurt on the job for me doesn't necessarily involve slipping on a wet floor or falling out of a chair. It includes being assaulted by inmates. Since I've been working, there have been incidents where some of my fellow C.O.'s have been beaten to the point that it ended their careers(unless some of you consider getting cracked in the face with an iron no big deal) and in case you didn't know, getting medicaled(is that a word?), isn't exactly a short term process. I know of a lady sergeant who was beaten to the point that she ended up partially disabled and the state fought her tooth and nail for 2 years in order for her to receive a medical pension. And I won't bore you with the bevy of diseases that are in this prison. I'm not saying that things didn't need to be done in this state. What I am saying is that police and fire shouldn't be lumped in with everyone else and that's exactly what is happening.

That said, this state is a mess and it's been CWA and the Democrats that made it a mess. The protesters are talking about electoral revenge or whatever but I can guarantee you that they'll quickly forget who has controlled the assembly and the state senate since forever and who is in charge now.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 06-24-2011 at 05:44 AM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This affects me and for my line of work, it sucks. I work around all kind of crap. They already did away with our SLI(State liability insurance) meaning if I get hurt on the job, I go on workman's comp instead of SLI. The difference was that on SLI I got my full salary and my benefits aren't affected. On workman's comp, I only get 75% of my salary and I would have to make my health insurance payments current or risk getting put on COBRA and would have to make up any pension payments missed when I eventually get back to work. Now before you all get that look on your face, remember what I do for a living. Getting hurt on the job for me doesn't necessarily involve slipping on a wet floor or falling out of a chair. It includes being assaulted by inmates. Since I've been working, there have been incidents where some of my fellow C.O.'s have been beaten to the point that it ended their careers(unless some of you consider getting cracked in the face with an iron no big deal) and in case you didn't know, getting medicaled(is that a word?), isn't exactly a short term process. I know of a lady sergeant who was beaten to the point that she ended up partially disabled and the state fought her tooth and nail for 2 years in order for her to receive a medical pension. And I won't bore you with the bevy of diseases that are in this prison. I'm not saying that things didn't need to be done in this state. What I am saying is that police and fire shouldn't be lumped in with everyone else and that's exactly what is happening.

That said, this state is a mess and it's been CWA and the Democrats that made it a mess. The protesters are talking about electoral revenge or whatever but I can guarantee you that they'll quickly forget who has controlled the assembly and the state senate since forever and who is in charge now.

I know a guy who worked as a CO in NJ for 10 years and got a full medical retirement just because he had bad knees AND he fought for his promotion to Lt and got it, this guy is only 4 years older then me and now he get a full pension and beni's while i have to work for the next 20 years. So I wont cry for Argentina ok. I have other stories of guys who phoned it in as CO's.

Its time to tighten the belt like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    QFT
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

I know a guy who worked as a CO in NJ for 10 years and got a full medical retirement just because he had bad knees AND he fought for his promotion to Lt and got it, this guy is only 4 years older then me and now he get a full pension and beni's while i have to work for the next 20 years. So I wont cry for Argentina ok. I have other stories of guys who phoned it in as CO's.

So if I get stuck in the neck by an inmate with a shank or shot while transporting an inmate to court it's "sucks to be me"? Thanks. However, on the above, blame the state, not the person. The state allowed this. I can give you countless stories about handing out SLI like it was Christmas candy. Instead of doing away with the program, how about being a little more selective with how you hand it out? But noooo, it's easier to cut us off at the knees.

Tell that to the guy who got his face smashed in with an iron.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    NJ its not right to blame you.

You and the unions who rep you, did what they should do. Try and get the best deal you can for your self and in the case of the unions, its members.

The politicians there instead decided to use state tax coffers as a way to buy union votes, and get a nice political kickback for them selves. Screwing the tax payers they were suppose to be getting the best deal for them selves. They have made the situation worse, and now the public sector is getting the bad rap, and after having it extra sweet for so long are now not wanting to have to give up more then what they probable should to help pay back what they were given too much of to start with.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    NJ its not right to blame you.

You and the unions who rep you, did what they should do. Try and get the best deal you can for your self and in the case of the unions, its members.

The politicians there instead decided to use state tax coffers as a way to buy union votes, and get a nice political kickback for them selves. Screwing the tax payers they were suppose to be getting the best deal for them selves. They have made the situation worse, and now the public sector is getting the bad rap, and after having it extra sweet for so long are now not wanting to have to give up more then what they probable should to help pay back what they were given too much of to start with.

Wait a minute, so I cant blame a union member whos union is sucking (sucked) the lifeblood out of the state? Sorry there is greed all up and down the line and I will blame them for it. When I dont get a paid sick day to save my life and I have to listen to their griping? My tax dollars goes into their pensions when I have to settle for a stinking 401k that will prolly get robbed repeatedly over the years by wallstreet FUCK THAT I will place the blame. OMG I could tell you stories of CO's milking the system for all its worth and THEN I HAVE listen to them gripe about it, again FUCK THAT.

I HAVE TO HEAR THE CRYING WHEN THEY HAVE TO GIVE BACK SOMETHING. AGAIN FUCK THAT

On edit: Ya if I get hurt on the job where I cant work any longer do I have a chance at 100% pension? LOL hell no or even a 75% one again hell no.

So sorry if i dont shed a bitter tear for you or your other down trodden civil servants.
    Last edited by Bailey; 06-24-2011 at 02:14 PM.

If I still lived in Jersey, I would definitely have voted for him.

I know he's said he won't go for it, but what the hell, I got this partly so I could watch the "who the f***" looks from some of the less-braindead brits before the light goes green and they become a little dot in my rear-view.

nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Wait a minute, so I cant blame a union member whos union is sucking (sucked) the lifeblood out of the state? Sorry there is greed all up and down the line and I will blame them for it. When I dont get a paid sick day to save my life and I have to listen to their griping? My tax dollars goes into their pensions when I have to settle for a stinking 401k that will prolly get robbed repeatedly over the years by wallstreet FUCK THAT I will place the blame. OMG I could tell you stories of CO's milking the system for all its worth and THEN I HAVE listen to them gripe about it, again FUCK THAT.

I HAVE TO HEAR THE CRYING WHEN THEY HAVE TO GIVE BACK SOMETHING. AGAIN FUCK THAT

On edit: Ya if I get hurt on the job where I cant work any longer do I have a chance at 100% pension? LOL hell no or even a 75% one again hell no.

So sorry if i dont shed a bitter tear for you or your other down trodden civil servants.
    Are you listening to a word I said? Where you work, do you face the possibility of getting assaulted each and every day? And have I milked the system? No and neither has the majority. Just because of a few assholes you're willing to throw the rest under the bus? The way you tell it, we're ALL milking the system. Was Officer Baker milking the system? Why don't we ask him. Oh, I forgot. He was killed when an inmate put a piece of metal through his heart. As for our pensions, do you even know what you're talking about? Did you know that Christine Whitman, a Republican, did to the pension system? And subsequent governors? They robbed it blind and haven't paid back a dime into it. Just in case you didn't know, we are in grave danger of our pension system going bankrupt because the state just couldn't stand to see that money sitting there doing nothing. Think of social security but on a smaller scale. That's what we're facing. You are acting like a complete asshole because of abject jealousy. Yes, jealousy. And you don't think we're taxpayers? We pay taxes too, genius. You act like all we do is sit around playing cards all day waiting for a paycheck. Then you don't have a clue. Like I said, a vast majority of CO's are hard working people but noooo, we're going to use a few assholes to judge the whole lot of us. Well, fuck you very much too.