Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NJ, are you a correctional officer?

Before I comment.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    NJ, are you a correctional officer?

Before I comment.....
    Yes. I thought that was common knowledge here.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I draw a federal paycheck. You feel the same way about us Federal employees?

THAT...was uncalled for.
    It was fucking uncalled for, you are right.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We aren't here to baby sit your ass, if you don't like what he fucking said call him out in the dome.
    We step in you fucking whine, we don't step in you fucking whine. grow some gawdam balls!
    Thanks for clarifying and proving my point. And nice attitude from a mod. You gonna ban me now? And please point out in the 8,263 posts of mine have I "whined" about mods stepping in. I'll wait. As for not liking what he said, I've seen members banned for saying something equal so you either moderate objectively or you don't moderate.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 06-24-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Thanks for clarifying and proving my point. And nice attitude from a mod. You gonna ban me now?
    Do what you should, take him to the fucking dome, he insulted you, get satisfaction.
    Do you think me jumping in will make it better?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Do what you should, take him to the fucking dome, he insulted you, get satisfaction.
    Do you think me jumping in will make it better?
    I'll remember that the next time someone makes a comment against the military here. End of conversation here.

Yes. I thought that was common knowledge here.

It probably is, but I wasn't sure

Anyway...I personally know 2 correctional officers. My brother's wife's father, Nick, worked at Rikers for 20 years before he retired on disability after 3 cardiac bypasses. The job hardened him well. He is the most negative, pessamistic person I know. I don't know what he's dealt with, but it wasn't good. The job took a lot from him, including time with his family. When he was home, no one wanted to deal with him because he was in a bad mood all the time. He made a good living....but it was cleary a tough, unrewarding, thankless job.

My cousin became a correctional officer in Rockland county about 4-5 years ago. I saw him at a wedding last October, he looks like he's aged 10 years. Looks emotionally beat up. and Nick says his jail is like Disney compared to Riker's. He's unhappy at his job, but it pays the bills. He calls his prisoners "the animals"..he doesnt' talk about his job, but it is obviously tough. Dealing with the country's garbage can't be an easy living.

So, you have my respect . Bailey, your comments were ridiculous and ignorant.
    As for the topic at hand...They need to differentiate legitimate claims from those who are playing the system. Hard to control, but removing the benefit altogether wasn't the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Hawkgirl; 06-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Let's simmer the fuck down, folks.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Here's the deal. Talking with the rank and file at my prison, we've discussed that we're willing to take zero raise for the next 4 years and even an increase in what we pay for medical. We don't mind that. But talking about taking something back, how about the legislators give something of their back? Or cut some of these political appointee jobs? Or cut a few administrators? We have 5 administrators at our jail: An Administrator, her assistant, and 3 facility superintendents. All make over $100K a year. Does each facility need a superintendent? Complete with secretary? And I'm not sure this is unique to my jail. But you don't hear that. You hear of cutting our stuff.
    Back on point, I'm quoting my own post and pointing out that there are a good lot of us willing to not take a raise for the next 4 years(duration of a contract). We also don't see an issue with being a little more strict with SLI, however, to blame those who abused the system is madness. The state were the one's doling out that benefit for slipping in the ODR not to mention all the claims in other areas of the state, the governor did a blanket cut. When questioned, he admitted he didn't know what this covered when it came to us. But thanks to that decision, getting shanked or beaten to a pulp is now treated the same as falling off of a ladder. We asked for an LOE waiver and they declined. Those who see no problem with this have no idea of the repercussions, namely, response to a code. I hope to God no one is killed or seriously wounded because of the mindset that if they are injured enough to be out of work, they couldn't afford the loss of pay.

Now, for me, I have additional insurance for such an emergency. But there are other issues. The public only sees what the state wants it to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    It probably is, but I wasn't sure

Anyway...I personally know 2 correctional officers. My brother's wife's father, Nick, worked at Rikers for 20 years before he retired on disability after 3 cardiac bypasses. The job hardened him well. He is the most negative, pessamistic person I know. I don't know what he's dealt with, but it wasn't good. The job took a lot from him, including time with his family. When he was home, no one wanted to deal with him because he was in a bad mood all the time. He made a good living....but it was cleary a tough, unrewarding, thankless job.

My cousin became a correctional officer in Rockland county about 4-5 years ago. I saw him at a wedding last October, he looks like he's aged 10 years. Looks emotionally beat up. and Nick says his jail is like Disney compared to Riker's. He's unhappy at his job, but it pays the bills. He calls his prisoners "the animals"..he doesnt' talk about his job, but it is obviously tough. Dealing with the country's garbage can't be an easy living.

So, you have my respect . Bailey, your comments were ridiculous and ignorant.
    As for the topic at hand...They need to differentiate legitimate claims from those who are playing the system. Hard to control, but removing the benefit altogether wasn't the right thing to do.
    Thank you. At least you have a clue. Not many know that we have the highest suicide rate in the country. We had one at my jail 2 years ago. And we've had our share of murders. My wife is begging me to find another job but at 46, easier said than done. I make a good living now and walking away is very, very hard. However, I do not see myself living to see retirement. It's bad enough I have to watch my front but I also have to watch my back against management. I work a certain way. I'm not a head breaker but I'm not soft either. I do my job. I'm not perfect which is a shame because not being perfect almost cost me my job. Pure BS that I won't get into now but just believe me when I tell you that what had happened did not warrant the time off I got let alone a dismissal but the state was looking for blood to dump salaries.

And speaking of Rikers, your brother's FIL then knows our commissioner. Also, I understand that something needs to be done but as usual, the wrong stuff gets cut. How about cutting some inmate programs? No, we're the ones getting cut.