Thread: Hey everyone!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Hey everyone! 
    Heya folks....

Ok, so right out with it. I don't really identify as Republican or democrat. Given the state of these two parties, I suspect that comes as little surprise. Ideologically, I'm more socially Liberal, and when it comes to economics, I don't fit anywhere, though self-proclaimed Liberals tend to give me less crap about the positions I hold.
    Here is something I filled out on another site that should help people understand my varied positions. Looking forward to some spirited debates. I talk most about economics, religion, some social issues, firearms and just generally dispelling myths.....

Abortion: Personally I'm against it, but I I won't support laws banning it early on in pregnancy.

Pledge of allegiance: The pledge reinforces nationalism. I have mixed feelings here, but I don't have a specific objection at this time

American Flags: Are cool?

Flag Burning: Part of the freedoms that our armed forces fight to preserve is the right to social and political dissent. If someone wants to show their symbolic disagreement by burning a flag, I have no problem with that and I'm surprised how many Conservatives oppose it.

Prayer in school: Never understood why this was an issue for anyone. See no problem with prayer in school unless you believe that to pray you need a special time that everyone else must recognize, set aside.

Public prayer: Again, don't understand how this is even an issue, you should have the freedom to pray whenever where ever you want as long as your not asking for special rights from the state to enforce it or recognize it as part of a state ritual, that's where it crosses the line imo.

God's influence: I've seen nothing that would convince me that a god influences anything in a way that differs from pure chance.

Guns: I have several, but I have no objection with the state take reasonable measures to oversee purchasing, registration, licencing and transfers of ownership.

Illegal immigration: I believe that boarder security is something we should consider important as a nation. Given drone technology and things like night and infra red vision cameras, it seems that we could combine human resources with technology to secure our boarders better than wall.

Assisted Suicide: For those that are of sound mind, they should have the right to decide if living is more difficult than dying when suffering from a debilitating long term incurable physical ailment.

Death Penalty: I'm against it because of what it says about us as a society, but, what if someone murdered my wife and kids you ask? Would I want to find them and kill them? Your g*d dam right I would. So I would imposed my own death penalty? No, I would commit a crime for which I would happily go to jail. Why not just let society do it? Because society should be better than the individual. -Ides of March

War on Drugs: A waste of money resources and causes more suffering than it's supposed to prevent. There are better alternatives.

War on Religion: The only conflict I'm aware of is when religion wants special rights and recognition to pervade into society and the non-religious resent it.

Censorship: While I see the practical use of censorship, I think it can be to easily abused and used as a tool to suppress certain religious, cultural and social points of view and therefore I don't support it.

Family Values: Form the foundation of morality (not the other way around).

Stem Cells: A promising medical technology.

Civil Rights:

Civil Liberties:

Gay Marriage: People have the right to be gay and enter into a social contract recognized by the state, however the state needs to get out of the business of "marriage" as a religious ritual. If people want to be married they should be married in a church that recognizes their marriage under god. Churches should not be forced to preform marriages if those marriages require the church to violate it's own religious doctrine. In this way, everyone is equal in the eyes of the state, and people have the opportunity to embrace certain beliefs and be married in the eyes of their god based on their religious doctrine. Gays are not precluded from religious marriage if they can find a church that recognizes such a thing.

Gay Adoption: I'm not aware of any legitimate research that lends any credence to the idea that children of gay people are gay at any greater rate than children of hetero couples. Nor am I aware that they are worse as parents then heterosexuals. My own anecdotal experience is that I had a few friends growing up whose parent's were gay. They both grew up straight. One is a Marine. I'm of the opinion that most kids would rather be in a loving home of gay parents than endure the kind of abuse that goes on in 1/2 homes.

Fiscal Issues: I think the Fed gets a bum rap. They do an excellent job in light of terrible monetary policy.

Taxes: Are not necessary to pay for spending (though most people believe they are) and are much too high. Corporate taxes should be very, very low. Taxes on corporations simply penalize production. Not enough room here, but if I were going to suggest a tax policy, I'd advocate a Land Value Tax and do away with, or make much, much smaller most other kinds of taxes.

Healthcare: Provided to society is a worthy goal, however in this time of brutal partisanship and drive for corporate profits, it will be difficult to find an efficient and effective public system

Banking / Monetary: We live in a fiat system but still believe we are bound by the rules that were in place pre-1971 (gold standard era). This is because there was very little change to how the system works on paper (bonds replaced gold), thus people are unaware of the real constraints on spending. Grade school education has never really spent much time on the money system and post grade school education is still teaching much of the old thinking.

Government spending: I hear people here say that money does not create wealth. Money is sort of like bricks, in that money does not create wealth any more than bricks create buildings. In both cases it takes skillful deployment of the resources in question to achieve wealth (or build buildings).

Campaign funds: Simple...Allow unlimited donations to political parties as long as 40% of the donation is given to the opposition.

Environment: Worth taking steps to protect.

Affirmative Action: Probably doesn't achieve the goals it sets for itself.

Unions: updated political view An excellent idea in theory and one that should be organized in a way that represents the workers not the power structures of unions.

Education: The foundation of a strong nation.

Constitution: An excellent document.

Free markets: A euphemism

After stumbling on the "DU" section, I'd like to add another thought.....

I believe process is just as important as outcome. Bad process that achieves worthwhile ends is only begging to be misused. That is, if you can achieve something good with a bad process, you can more easily achieve something bad with a bad process.

I abhor socially emotional terms like "assault weapon" (they are firearms) "hate crime" (it's a crime, hate crime is thought crime) "weapon of mass destruction" (area of affect weapon). Though I find myself more "Left" with respect to many issues, I vehemently oppose ideas supported and based on emotion. Much of the feminist movement and something I've seen described as social justice warriors are groups I generally oppose. Even if I agree on ideological grounds, I often oppose the way they share their message.
    Last edited by Uncommon Sense; 06-21-2016 at 07:21 PM.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Welcome, do you mind my asking how old are you?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Welcome, do you mind my asking how old are you?
    Ill tell you if you guess first

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncommon Sense View Post
    Ill tell you if you guess first
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I hate HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    Welcome! I stopped reading after 2000 words, usually I stop after 50 but I was intrigued. From what I read you are a liberal.

:Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
    ” I wondered why the rock was getting larger. Then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Welcome! I stopped reading after 2000 words, usually I stop after 50 but I was intrigued. From what I read you are a liberal.
    Sure, that's fine. I find most Conservatives view me this way, however, it's kind of annoying when people assume I want to ban guns or force churches to marry gays ect.....I hold a lot of positions that are contrary to my liberal brethren.

Sure, that's fine. I find most Conservatives view me this way, however, it's kind of annoying when people assume I want to ban guns or force churches to marry gays ect.....I hold a lot of positions that are contrary to my liberal brethren.

Code:
    Guns:	I have several, but I have no objection with the state take reasonable measures to oversee purchasing, registration, licencing and transfers of ownership.
    Thats where I stopped. Tell me, are they assault style guns?

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Code:
    Guns:	I have several, but I have no objection with the state take reasonable measures to oversee purchasing, registration, licencing and transfers of ownership.
    Thats where I stopped. Tell me, are they assault style guns?
    Are you asking me what I own?

Are you asking me what I own?

Why not? Check out our 2nd amendment forum I like posting pics that make libs cry.