And he was dead when he was awarded the medal.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1QG5kpS6r

FoxNews: White House Corrects Record After Obama Claims Medal of Honor Recipient Still Alive
June 24, 2011

The White House sought to correct the record after the president mistakenly claimed Thursday that a Medal of Honor recipient who died in Afghanistan was still alive.
The president made the error while speaking to troops from the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, N.Y.

“First time I saw 10th Mountain Division, you guys were in southern Iraq. When I went back to visit Afghanistan, you guys were the first ones there. I had the great honor of seeing some of you because a comrade of yours, Jared Monti, was the first person who I was able to award the Medal of Honor to who actually came back and wasn’t receiving it posthumously,” Obama said.

Monti, however, died in Afghanistan in 2006. He was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously in 2009 for his actions sacrificing his own life to try and save a fellow soldier.

… Carney said in a statement. “The president paid tribute to Monti in his remarks to troops in Afghanistan in March 2010….”