Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Will New Jersey recgonize New York's gay marriages? 
    HockeyMom (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-26-11 08:40 AM
    Original message
    Will New Jersey recgonize New York's gay marriages?
    We know a number of gay couples in New Jersey who may want to get married in New York now.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=439x1365329

soleft (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-26-11 08:44 AM
    Response to Original message
    2. Right now I have a Civl Union in NJ
    And I'm getting killed on taxes on my partner's health care benefits. I'm wondering if I go married in NY, I think I read or saw that non-residents will be able to marry in NY - if it will affect my tax status.
    CanonRay (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-26-11 08:48 AM
    Response to Original message
    3. I thought they had to under
    the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the constitution, requiring each state to recognize the laws of the others. That's why you can drive in New Jersey with a New York drivers license. Am I nuts?
    Yes you are....:D
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote #2, won't make a difference.

Quote #3, until the rouge judges forced it here in Iowa, Iowa didn't because it was law not to respect gay marriage, even from other states.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Fabulous Poster
    A masterful strategy on the part of Gay rights groups would be to somehow team up 50 state recognition of gay marriages with 50 state recognition of concealed carry permits.

The way I see it, it's the affirmation a single Constitutional principle. It would be hilarious to have the NRA as a friend of the court in gay marriage and the Human Rights Campaign as a friend of the court in shooting down California, Illinois, and Maryland on the Second Amendment.

I don't think New Jerseyans recognize who they wake up with the next morning half the time.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    A masterful strategy on the part of Gay rights groups would be to somehow team up 50 state recognition of gay marriages with 50 state recognition of concealed carry permits.

The way I see it, it's the affirmation a single Constitutional principle. It would be hilarious to have the NRA as a friend of the court in gay marriage and the Human Rights Campaign as a friend of the court in shooting down California, Illinois, and Maryland on the Second Amendment.
    Please quote me chapter and verse where it says in the Constitution that marriage is a right. I'll wait.*

*-Keep in mind I could care less either way because 2 homo's marrying doesn't affect me in the slightest.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Quote #3, until the rouge judges forced it here in Iowa, Iowa didn't because it was law not to respect gay marriage, even from other states.
    Rouge judges sound VERY glamorous.

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Please quote me chapter and verse where it says in the Constitution that marriage is a right. I'll wait.*

*-Keep in mind I could care less either way because 2 homo's marrying doesn't affect me in the slightest.
    Does the Constitution protect your right to own and carry a weapon not available in 1776? Or are you applying the principle of the Second Amendment to your semi-auto carry gun?

Either way, my post referred not to the right of gay people to enter into legal marriage, as it does to the fact that all states recognize the heterosexual marriages of other states. It would only make sense that they also recognize the same-sex marriages of other states. My second complain is that CCW people have to check individual state laws on concealed carry rather than have their carry permit honored by all states.

I see them both as full faith and credit issues. As someone else noted, your New York drivers license is honored in New Jersey. It pisses me off that some states don't honor the concealed carry permits of other states.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Does the Constitution protect your right to own and carry a weapon not available in 1776? Or are you applying the principle of the Second Amendment to your semi-auto carry gun?

Either way, my post referred not to the right of gay people to enter into legal marriage, as it does to the fact that all states recognize the heterosexual marriages of other states. It would only make sense that they also recognize the same-sex marriages of other states. My second complain is that CCW people have to check individual state laws on concealed carry rather than have their carry permit honored by all states.

I see them both as full faith and credit issues. As someone else noted, your New York drivers license is honored in New Jersey. It pisses me off that some states don't honor the concealed carry permits of other states.
    The Constitution protects me right to keep and bear arms. However, the Constitution does not mention marriage in any shape, way or form. You're trying to create a strawman where it is impossible to do so. To your 2nd complain, there is that pesky 10th Amendment. And, yes, your DL is honored throughout the country, however, you are subject to the laws of that state you are driving in. For instance, in the speed limit in Virginia is 70MPH, however they cannot come to NJ and legally drive 70mph when the speed limit is 65. Let me put this another way. Say I have an Arizona drivers license. Does that mean I can open a gas station in NJ, make it self serve, and sell beer in the store section of the station? So, stop trying to convey an idiotic argument and apply it to the Constitution because you're failing miserably at it. It amazes me that when it comes to the subject of gays, your ability to discuss things logically flies out the window.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Whats laughable is now some gay rights activist are whining about being forced into marriage because of this.

Lawprof Katherine M. Franke explains:
    If the rollout of marriage equality in other states, like Massachusetts, is any guide, lesbian and gay people who have obtained health and other benefits for their domestic partners will be required by both public and private employers to marry their partners in order to keep those rights. In other words, “winning” the right to marry may mean “losing” the rights we have now as domestic partners, as we’ll be folded into the all-or-nothing world of marriage....
    As strangers to marriage for so long, we’ve created loving and committed forms of family, care and attachment that far exceed, and often improve on, the narrow legal definition of marriage. Many of us are not ready to abandon those nonmarital ways of loving once we can legally marry....
    But we shouldn’t be forced to marry to keep the benefits we now have...

-----------------

So gays should now have the option to keep domestic partnership and enjoy all the benefits there of, if they choose not to wed, where we heterosexuals must marry to enjoy the same benefits.

Talk about wanting the best of both worlds.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009