Hybrid View

1. #1 Lancaster over Hampshire 
    One of these came right over my back garden today, at around 500ft. I heard this ruckus building, knew it was gonna be something good from the engine sound, went outside (unfortunately without the camera, dammit) and there she was, right over the top, 500 feet max.

Awesome!! BRITANNIA VICTOR !

nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    World War 2 Bombers have always fascinated me. The Lancaster is a beautiful plane in a stubby ugly sort of way.

I'd love to see one fly.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

me to. I take it that was an air show??? the blue angels fly right over my home during the annual air show. but they're to damned fast to get a pic !!!
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

This is the one that came over yesterday:

Its PA474, one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Very cool!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

awesome machines. these as well as the fighters came with the rolls royce engines. but early in the war they had carbs which limited their ceiling range. the germans had a new system called fuel injection which gave them a decisive edge. but the brits smuggled the german injection system out of germany and the playing field was equal.

we sent the brits our P-51 which came with the allison engine. the brits didn't like its performance so they dropped in a rolls royce merlin engine and the 51 became a legend.
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    awesome machines. these as well as the fighters came with the rolls royce engines. but early in the war they had carbs which limited their ceiling range. the germans had a new system called fuel injection which gave them a decisive edge. but the brits smuggled the german injection system out of germany and the playing field was equal.

we sent the brits our P-51 which came with the allison engine. the brits didn't like its performance so they dropped in a rolls royce merlin engine and the 51 became a legend.
    Hey Namvet, you have it exact.

I was sitting in the kitchen yesterday afternoon, with the doors open wide, and I heard this deep mechanical roar, building and building and building. It sounded amazing.

I knew it had to be an aircraft moving low and fast, so I pegged it outside, unfortunately without camera, but just in the nick of time to see this amazing aircraft, part of our national heritage, go exactly right over the top of my house, at 500ft.

As it went over my house, I yelled out "You f***ing beauty!!!!". :D :D :D It made me proud, really proud, to see it.

It's one of those magic, one-off moments that I will always remember, always.