Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama administration considers 56.2 mpg vehicle fuel standard 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Obama administration is considering requiring all new cars and trucks sold in the United States to get an average of 56.2 miles per gallon by 2025, The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

U.S. officials presented the possible new standard in a proposal to representatives of Detroit auto makers, the Journal reported in its online edition.

The newspaper said the proposal isn't final and could be adjusted over the next several weeks before it is presented to White House budget officials.

http://us.yahoo.com/_ylt=At.8ezjI4k2...185157901.html

Say goodbye to the auto industry in the US.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

woo-hoo. Nuclear cars.

By the time this gets fully negotiated the bill will require 20.2 mpg and have 60 tax increases in it.

They would have until 2025 to get to that standard.

My 2005 Focus gets about 38 mpg, and it's 6 years old. The new models are coming out at about 40 mpg-I'm paying attention right now because I'm buying a new car in August (a 2012 Focus).

Hyrids will be able to achieve the 56 mpg rate. 2025 is long enough away to get the price down on hybrids so that they can replace the gasoline-only fueled cars most of us are driving now, because they are cheaper than hybrids.

I think Ford can meet the challenge, and that GM will have to do so to keep up. I'm not counting on Chrysler being in business as an american auto maker in 2025.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

My 2005 Focus gets about 38 mpg, and it's 6 years old. The new models are coming out at about 40 mpg-I'm paying attention right now because I'm buying a new car in August (a 2012 Focus).

Hyrids will be able to achieve the 56 mpg rate. 2025 is long enough away to get the price down on hybrids so that they can replace the gasoline-only fueled cars most of us are driving now, because they are cheaper than hybrids.

I think Ford can meet the challenge, and that GM will have to do so to keep up. I'm not counting on Chrysler being in business as an american auto maker in 2025.
    That may be do-able. But we are talking about trucks too.

How many trucks do you know that can get near 40 mpg right now?
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    That may be do-able. But we are talking about trucks too.

How many trucks do you know that can get near 40 mpg right now?
    Have you not rec. the word from our Fuhrer. Car mfg that employ unions will be exempt like GM and Chrysler.

there were cars built in the late 50's and 60's that got upwards of 40 MPG. The technology has been there, but there are other factors that keep it from being the standard.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    woo-hoo. Nuclear cars.

By the time this gets fully negotiated the bill will require 20.2 mpg and have 60 tax increases in it.

True. :D

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

Hybrids require big batteries that go "boom" if you get in a wreck. They also take up cargo space. Where do you put your suitcase? On the hood?

I would think batteries that could leak acid and give off battery dust would be more harmful

Will the presidental limo meet these standards?

Banned
    As long as they are pulling MPG figures out of their ass, why not make it 100 MPG?

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...s_many_ol.html

they can do it. i hate to sound like a stupid liberal, but seriously the oil companies are out to get us
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.