Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Phoenix ER busy treating overheated patients 
    We're dropping like flies out here with no end in sight. Ugh. I hate summer. :mad:

Phoenix ER busy treating overheated patients

PHOENIX - Phoenix emergency rooms are busy treating patients for heat exhaustion and heat stroke with forecasters predicting daytime temperatures Monday and Tuesday of between 109 and 114 degrees.

The head of the emergency room at Phoenix St. Joseph's Hospital Dr. Donald Lauer says they are definitely seeing cases of heat exhaustion and heat stroke at the inner city hospital. Lauer says that every year there are a handful of deaths related to the excessive heat.

Heat stroke can be fatal if not promptly treated. Cooling off a victim is critical in treating heat stroke.

Symptoms for heat exhaustion include nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, a rapid heart rate and weakness.

Lauer says during the hot weather we should drink lots of water, avoid alcohol and replace salt lost through perspiration.

Fabulous Poster
    Anyone who tells you, "But it's dry heat." is full of it. I live in Florida. If it isn't raining, I do whatever I need to do outside regardless of temperature. I nearly collapsed in Phoenix in July just walking around. I thought I was sick, but after about two hours in the hotel with AC and cold drinking water I came back to life. The clerk almost refused to check me in that day because I looked messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Anyone who tells you, "But it's dry heat." is full of it. I live in Florida. If it isn't raining, I do whatever I need to do outside regardless of temperature. I nearly collapsed in Phoenix in July just walking around. I thought I was sick, but after about two hours in the hotel with AC and cold drinking water I came back to life. The clerk almost refused to check me in that day because I looked messed up.
    I was out shopping with family yesterday and we were commenting on how lethargic we all felt. All we were doing was strolling through an antique store. You could be in the best shape of your life and it wouldn't matter. When it's this hot, you have to take it seriously.

It was 100 degrees at 9:30 this morning. That's just cruel.

It IS a dry heat...

That's why those SMF's are dropping like flies. If you can't bother to keep hydrated, stay inside...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Stanfield, Az, July of 1966:
    I was driving through Stanfield when my 56 Chev decided it would be a good time to swallow a valve. BANG-Br-Br-Br-Br.............silence. Heat. Didn't know a soul anywhere in the world.:(

I got lucky. I made friends with the guy who owned the Texaco station and he let me fix it right where it landed if I would buy all my parts from him. It landed in the sun across from his station. It took a week. If I hadn't been 20 years old it would have killed me. I didn't pull the engine; I just dropped the pan and pushed the piston (ruined) out the top where I had removed the head. Lugged everything across the street and Tommy sent it out for repair.

I'm tellin you it was hot! So hot I had a bucket of water to slosh my tools around before I could handle them.

But it all had a nice ending. I stayed in the jail (Pinal County) because it was open and the deputy was a good guy. There were no prisoners. Or air conditioning, but the shower worked.
    I made friends with all the guys my age around Stanfield; we were friends for years.
    And I fell in love with the girl at the cafe. That lasted for years, too, but like the 56 Chevy, found its own way out of my life.

It gets hot in Arizona, and that's a fact. But it's a good place.:)

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Stanfield, Az, July of 1966:
    I was driving through Stanfield when my 56 Chev decided it would be a good time to swallow a valve. BANG-Br-Br-Br-Br.............silence. Heat. Didn't know a soul anywhere in the world.:(

I got lucky. I made friends with the guy who owned the Texaco station and he let me fix it right where it landed if I would buy all my parts from him. It landed in the sun across from his station. It took a week. If I hadn't been 20 years old it would have killed me. I didn't pull the engine; I just dropped the pan and pushed the piston (ruined) out the top where I had removed the head. Lugged everything across the street and Tommy sent it out for repair.

I'm tellin you it was hot! So hot I had a bucket of water to slosh my tools around before I could handle them.

But it all had a nice ending. I stayed in the jail (Pinal County) because it was open and the deputy was a good guy. There were no prisoners. Or air conditioning, but the shower worked.
    I made friends with all the guys my age around Stanfield; we were friends for years.
    And I fell in love with the girl at the cafe. That lasted for years, too, but like the 56 Chevy, found its own way out of my life.

It gets hot in Arizona, and that's a fact. But it's a good place.:)
    Cool story!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Whimps...:p:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It IS a dry heat...

That's why those SMF's are dropping like flies. If you can't bother to keep hydrated, stay inside...
    The funny thing is that when you drive into Phoenix at night from the desert, you can see a dome of humidity over the city relative to the desert. All the sprinklers and pools appear to be sufficient to raise the urban zone's humidity.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Whimps...:p:D
    I have been told that St Louis can be the uncontested most miserable place in summer.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I have been told that St Louis can be the uncontested most miserable place in summer.
    It can be worse than FL for a short time. It has been hotter up in St. Louis than Sarasota.
    May the FORCE be with you!