Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    If the theme is "gay" and there are pictures, you know Megi will be all over it. ;)
    I was at St Pete Pride. It's the largest Pride parade and street festival in the South. The difference between it and the decidedly but not exclusively heterosexual Gasparilla parade in Tampa each year is visually minimal, except that it's usually cold for Gasparilla and 300 people don't get themselves arrested at Pride.

Power CUer
    Here's a real Drama Queen thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-...ts?q=1&;page=1

It wishes everything on NY from another 9/11 to a nuclear strike, after the gay marriage vote.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Here's a real Drama Queen thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-...ts?q=1&;page=1

It wishes everything on NY from another 9/11 to a nuclear strike, after the gay marriage vote.
    That’s my point. If they want to find a pro-gay minister who wants to marry a gay couple in a state that’s passed this garbage then SO BE IT.

BUT..don’t FORCE those Clergy who DON’T believe in it to conduct it.

7 posted on June 24, 2011 11:10:40 PM EDT by CommieCutter

I'd attribute this to ignorance, but there were member of the assembly who demanded "religious protections" in the bill. Is there any state in the US which currently treats churches like public accommodations? Has any church been forced to perform a gay wedding? Or even a wedding of other Christian sects outside their doctrine? Has ONE single Catholic church been forced to marry a Jew or anyone who doesn't meet their criteria?

NO, they have not.
    Last edited by Novaheart; 06-28-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I'd attribute this to ignorance, but there were member of the assembly who demanded "religious protections" in the bill. Is there any state in the US which currently treats churches like public accommodations? Has any church been forced to perform a gay wedding? Or even a wedding of other Christian sects outside their doctrine? Has ONE single Catholic church been forced to marry a Jew or anyone who doesn't meet their criteria?

NO, they have not.
    None of that matters when you're as overwrought as the gang over there. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'd attribute this to ignorance, but there were member of the assembly who demanded "religious protections" in the bill.
    Attribute it to whatever you want to, but I agree with adding those types of provisions to the bill. I know the government hasn't forced any pastor to perform same sex marriage, but I'm all for any bill that will keep the governments tentacles out of the pulpit.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

That’s my point. If they want to find a pro-gay minister who wants to marry a gay couple in a state that’s passed this garbage then SO BE IT.

BUT..don’t FORCE those Clergy who DON’T believe in it to conduct it.

7 posted on June 24, 2011 11:10:40 PM EDT by CommieCutter

NO, they have not.

Yet

Banned
    I actually think these parades hurt their cause. I've nothing against gay people but over extravagant parades like these only help to reinforce negative stereotypes. I've known some gay guys and some lesbians. Not every gay guy is a "queen", nor is every lesbian butch. But parading and acting like a "Queen" in public just reinforces the negative perception that this is how ALL gays are. Yeah, sure, there are good number of them who do this in public, but surely they realize they're hurting their cause? The cause of being viewed and treated the same as everybody else?

I've no problem with these parades, on a personal level the photos don't gross or skeeve me out. It's whatever to me, who cares. But it only hurts the cause of gays in their seeming desire to just be accepted and viewed as normal, regular people like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    I've no problem with these parades, on a personal level the photos don't gross or skeeve me out. It's whatever to me, who cares. But it only hurts the cause of gays in their seeming desire to just be accepted and viewed as normal, regular people like everyone else.
    Yeah, it's hard to say, "See we're just like everyone else." when you're in drag with a plunger stuck up your ass.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to say, "See we're just like everyone else." when you're in drag with a plunger stuck up your ass.
    My point exactly. And they make this stuff so public that this is what public eyes see, and as such, this is what the public thinks gays are. If I were gay, I'd be outspokenly against this kind of stuff, because if I'm a gay man, people will already have this sort of perception of me, that I must be a Queen who likes plungers up my ass, due to parades like this--even if I have nothing to do with it and I'm just a regular guy who happens to be gay. Indirectly, these people would be harming my reputation.

I'm surprised there isn't a movement on the part of more average Joe gays to stop this stuff. I mean if you want to party with a plunger up the butt, or in drag, or whatever--do it in your own home.

People say "But what about St. Patty's Day?! They can have their parade but we can't?" But I think there's a difference, a pretty big difference. Maybe it's because we live in an age where we're largely beyond anti-Irish stereotypes, I don't know, but I do know that (playful jokes aside) no one REALLY feels all Irishmen are red faced, Leprechaun-ish Drunks.

The same can't be said for gay men. These parades happen and in the eyes of many, gays as a whole group are viewed seriously as being creepy, effete, effeminate, kinky, abnormal Queens. And that hurts the reputation of those gays who act like civilized people. And they exist--I'm sure you and others here have known a few men who you were surprised to learn were gay. Or who one wouldn't think were gay if you had no clue about it.

Look at Ian McKellen--He played Gandalf in the LOTR movies. The man is as masculine, as vital and as classy and eloquent as could be. Yet he's also 100% gay. But if you didn't know it, you probably wouldn't guess it.

Even Freddie Mercury wasn't nearly as GAY as these people are acting. Freddie looked, at least in the 80s, like your average American blue collar worker. He didn't wear women's clothes or the like. He wore a Tank Top or T-Shirt and Jeans like the everyday male. And he was pretty damn gay for his time.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 06-28-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Heh.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)