Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I think all personal service type industries should be exempt from such anti-discrimination laws. If I'm a photographer and I don't feel comfortable around black people, gay people, wiccans, bikers, Irish Travelers, or obese people, I shouldn't have to perform my personal service for them.

Same goes for me as an attorney. Everyone has a right to an attorney. They don't have the right to me as an attorney.
    You wouldn't represent a black, gay, obese, wiccan biker from Ireland? You cad, you! :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

My contention with the photographer incident is that those lesbians purposely chose that photographer just to get a rise out of them. They were free to choose from one of at least 127(Internet Yellow Pages search) photographers but IMO they purposely chose this particular one because IIRC, in their phone book ad they had the Jesus fish openly promoting themselves as Christians. Of course Nova finds the behavior of the lesbian couple completely acceptable because when it comes to gays, they can do no wrong and any slight toward them in the least is a crime against humanity.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    My contention with the photographer incident is that those lesbians purposely chose that photographer just to get a rise out of them. They were free to choose from one of at least 127(Internet Yellow Pages search) photographers but IMO they purposely chose this particular one because IIRC, in their phone book ad they had the Jesus fish openly promoting themselves as Christians. Of course Nova finds the behavior of the lesbian couple completely acceptable because when it comes to gays, they can do no wrong and any slight toward them in the least is a crime against humanity.
    Didn't he admit that he was queer...oh excuses me ..strange.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Didn't he admit that he was queer...oh excuses me ..strange.. ?
    IMO Nova is to gays and their causes the same way Al Sharpton is to blacks and black causes. Complete tunnel vision.

IMO Nova is to gays and their causes the same way Al Sharpton is to blacks and black causes. Complete tunnel vision.
    So if he's Queer/Homosexual why would we expect him to be object when it comes to any Homosexual issues .He'll always 'come down' on the side of the Homosexual cause ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    My point exactly. And they make this stuff so public that this is what public eyes see, and as such, this is what the public thinks gays are. If I were gay, I'd be outspokenly against this kind of stuff, because if I'm a gay man, people will already have this sort of perception of me, that I must be a Queen who likes plungers up my ass, due to parades like this--even if I have nothing to do with it and I'm just a regular guy who happens to be gay. Indirectly, these people would be harming my reputation.

I'm surprised there isn't a movement on the part of more average Joe gays to stop this stuff. I mean if you want to party with a plunger up the butt, or in drag, or whatever--do it in your own home.

People say "But what about St. Patty's Day?! They can have their parade but we can't?" But I think there's a difference, a pretty big difference. Maybe it's because we live in an age where we're largely beyond anti-Irish stereotypes, I don't know, but I do know that (playful jokes aside) no one REALLY feels all Irishmen are red faced, Leprechaun-ish Drunks.

The same can't be said for gay men. These parades happen and in the eyes of many, gays as a whole group are viewed seriously as being creepy, effete, effeminate, kinky, abnormal Queens. And that hurts the reputation of those gays who act like civilized people. And they exist--I'm sure you and others here have known a few men who you were surprised to learn were gay. Or who one wouldn't think were gay if you had no clue about it.

Look at Ian McKellen--He played Gandalf in the LOTR movies. The man is as masculine, as vital and as classy and eloquent as could be. Yet he's also 100% gay. But if you didn't know it, you probably wouldn't guess it.

Even Freddie Mercury wasn't nearly as GAY as these people are acting. Freddie looked, at least in the 80s, like your average American blue collar worker. He didn't wear women's clothes or the like. He wore a Tank Top or T-Shirt and Jeans like the everyday male. And he was pretty damn gay for his time.
    This.

I'm mad by that too.

Because the keyboardist for Faith No More wasn't flamoyant at all either,Plus Rob Halford acted very macho.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hai View Post
    This.

I'm mad by that too.

Because the keyboardist for Faith No More wasn't flamoyant at all either,Plus Rob Halford acted very macho.
    I was just using Freddie as an example, since he was a gay icon--A rarity for his time, a pretty much openly gay man in the music world. Even Elton hid being gay until later in his career. Liberace was a HUGE icon in general yet hid the fact he was gay and even sued those who insinuated it.

Freddie was a brave guy in that he played Heavy Metal music--a traditionally masculine, somewhat homophobic genre--and was openly gay.

I'm not saying he should be the gold standard for a gay guy should act, I was just using him as a notable example.

The point being...Why do some of these people feel the need to perpetuate stereotypes? They're only pepertuating stereotypes that make them look bad to mainstream Americans, and in doing so, they defame homosexuals as a whole group. That was my point.

I just think the whole "Queen" kind of gay man is a total fraud. Being gay doesn't automatically mean you develop a lispy voice and prance around. That's an ugly stereotype--that gay = not manly. And these people with their parades keep it going by their own actions. They don't represent all gay people and probably not even the majority of gay people. But they're a very vocal minority whose actions shape the opinions of others.

I work with several people who are gay. One is in uniform. He makes gay jokes with the best of them. He can't stand flamers. As far as inmates go, the flamers are the most annoying inmates to have on your tier. I had one in the special needs unit(as well as on a regular house when I had one) who was the most annoying human being I ever saw. Thankfully his cellmate took matters into his own hand and cold cocked him.

I work with several people who are gay. One is in uniform. He makes gay jokes with the best of them. He can't stand flamers. As far as inmates go, the flamers are the most annoying inmates to have on your tier. I had one in the special needs unit(as well as on a regular house when I had one) who was the most annoying human being I ever saw. Thankfully his cellmate took matters into his own hand and cold cocked him.
    How do you Deal with the HIV positive inmates ? Are they isolated from general population and Do you wear padding and face shields to prevent bites and fluids being thrown in your faces .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    How do you Deal with the HIV positive inmates ? Are they isolated from general population and Do you wear padding and face shields to prevent bites and fluids being thrown in your faces .
    Ready for this? We're not allowed to know. HIPPA and all. And to answer the 2nd part of your question, no. The only thing we wear is rubber gloves when doing pat downs or cell searches. We don't even use spit masks. Believe you me, I've had piss and shit thrown at me(he missed) and had an inmate try to spit on my though a locked door. Go figure.