Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    ....the last thing he needs to do now is add one more controlling woman to his life no matter how well intentioned it may seem.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Have you tried cinnamon and garlic?
    Love both. I have mine under control for now. I'm concerned about the near future with retirement looming and the price of meds and the exercise tapering off due to bad knees. CITM should consider the things I've done because it does work but only if he makes a complete life style change. The bike idea courtesy Nova is a good option.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's completely social and you are just being a bully.

If this was me, I guarantee you would not be so callous.

Let's just drop it and let those of us who have something useful to say do that and let those of us who don't, seek elsewhere.
    If it were you, I doubt you would post your complete medical history and vital signs of yourself and every uncle, aunt, grandpa, grandma, etc. I mean that is just overwhelming.

At 20 years of age, he needs to get off his ass and do something rather than sitting at home conflicting about his health and politics. JHC, that is a pathetic lifestyle if you ask me. He needs to get out in the real world and make his own way. I am not trying to be a bully. He needs a good kick in the ass. Feeling sorry for your self is mental and he may need help in this respect.

FYI, if he or you had a single medical problem, I would try to help but damn he sounds like a hypochondriac to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Unlike some here, I take this seriously.
    No one dies of "old age".
    Wrong!

Grandpa smoked and drank all his life, and died at 90. Dad smoked and drank all his life and died at 91. I smoke and drink, but in this day and age I don't want to live all that long.

People die of different things, and it depends on genes tempered by life-style. Period!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Wrong!

Grandpa smoked and drank all his life, and died at 90. Dad smoked and drank all his life and died at 91. I smoke and drink, but in this day and age I don't want to live all that long.

People die of different things, and it depends on genes tempered by life-style. Period!
    Why wouldn't you want to live to 90? Say you lived to 90 with all you dignity and your mental faculties intact...What would be so horrid about that?

My grandmother is 84, very close to 90, she still has great stamina for her age and has a better memory and sharper wit than most of her own children and grandchildren. And she still has her pride. She got to watch her children have children, and her grandchildren have children, and she sits on top of the pyramid basically. Yes, ever since my step-grandpa died, she's alone in that regard, and her siblings have mostly passed on, but she still has her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Wrong!

Very true. My dad lived to be 1 week short of 99 and my mom lived to be 92. Neither one of them drank or smoked.

I smoked and drank heavily for 30 plus years, have no physical aliments, just started taking meds for slight elevated blood pressure, and have not spent a night in the hospital in the last 60 years.
    That was for a broken shoulder playing football.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 06-29-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Banned
    It's just luck of the draw it seems.
    I know my step-grandpa smoked 3-4 packs of unfiltered camels, drank slightly on occasion, worked off andon, as a laborer amongst Asbestos, Lead and the like, and ate like a pig and yet he was always skinny and lived to 81. He had a number of medical conditions as he got older--Skin cancer, nasal carcinoma, an ear cancer--but they were pretty minimal.

What got him in the end was complications of COPD and non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, which only appeared about a year before he died I think. And his last lung scan, taken a week before he died, showed a pretty clear set of lungs considering his condition. It wasn't even the disease that killed him, simply the stress of it on his old body.

Even so, with all of that, I'd imagine most doctors would argue, given his diet, his exposure to bad chemicals, his smoking and whatnot, that he should've had a short life from a medical standpoint. That speaking medically it's bizarre that he lived to 81.

I mean consider on the other hand my biological grandfather. A lithe, strong, well built man in his youth. He got shot in the leg in WWII and kept the leg but with a chunk of it missing; He gradually gained weight due to the fact he couldn't exercise as much--He got gout in his mid 30s and it painfully plagued him most of his life. Beforehand, he was a soldier in the War, he was a Polar Bear, he was strong enough to lift a grown woman--my grandmother, who is tall for a woman--with the ease that a man would lift a baby. He later developed Hypertension to a severe degree. He had a moderate, non-disabling stroke at age 53 and a sudden, massive stroke about 2 and a half years later which killed him at 55 years old.

Now, he didn't drink, he smoked cigars ONLY when playing cards, which wasn't often, he had a regular job and didn't eat too horribly. By the nature of his diet and lifestyle he should've lived longer, medically speaking, but died in middle age.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 06-29-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    It's just luck of the draw it seems.
    I know my step-grandpa smoked 3-4 packs of unfiltered camels, drank slightly on occasion, worked as a laborer amongst Asbestos, Lead and the like, and ate like a pig and yet he was always skinny and lived to 81. He had a number of medical conditions as he got older--Skin cancer, nasal carcinoma, an ear cancer--but they were pretty minimal.

What got him in the end was complications of COPD and non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, which only appeared about a year before he died I think. And his last lung scan, taken a week before he died, showed a pretty clear set of lungs considering his condition. It wasn't even the disease that killed him, simply the stress of it on his old body.

Even so, with all of that, I'd imagine most doctors would argue, given his diet, his exposure to bad chemicals, his smoking and whatnot, that he should've had a short life from a medical standpoint.
    He may have been good at dealing with stress, I think that is what Marv is telling you, don't sweat it.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    He may have been good at dealing with stress, I think that is what Marv is telling you, don't sweat it.
    Oh yes, he was. Everything was a joke to him. He was a perpetual prankster. Always loved a good joke at others' expense and had a dry wit.

One time my grandmother said to him, "You shouldn't smoke so much, it's bad for you." He smiled at her and said, "But I don't inhale."

Or how he tormented my sister. One time she was little, and she was sitting next to him. He was eating a donut. She said, "Grandpa, can you save me a piece of that donut?" and he said, "Sure." He then ate the whole donut. My sister said, "Grandpa, you said you were gonna save me a piece of that donut." And he said, "I did--the hole."

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Oh yes, he was. Everything was a joke to him. He was a perpetual prankster. Always loved a good joke at others' expense and had a dry wit.

One time my grandmother said to him, "You shouldn't smoke so much, it's bad for you." He smiled at her and said, "But I don't inhale."

Or how he tormented my sister. One time she was little, and she was sitting next to him. He was eating a donut. She said, "Grandpa, can you save me a piece of that donut?" and he said, "Sure." He then ate the whole donut. My sister said, "Grandpa, you said you were gonna save me a piece of that donut." And he said, "I did--the hole."
    This is a good place to start, remember the people in your life who really made things work and study their lives.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg