Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I'm 52 and have suffered from high cholesterol all my life. My mother passed that legacy on to me.

Mom had a cholesterol count higher than Crisco and eventually suffered a stroke. She is a non smoker and slightly overweight.

My dad suffered a series of heart attacks when he was in his early to mid thirties. He cut down from 4 packs of Salems /day to one and died a couple years ago after completely quitting smoking. He was active but slightly overweight with ideal blood tests.

I have high cholesterol that I control with medication and exercise. I still run several times a week and throw in an occasional half marthon. The combination of drugs, exercise and diet works for me.

One question; How many Snickers Bars do you eat a day?
    Have you tried cinnamon and garlic?

rm -rf obama*

Unlike some here, I take this seriously.

All people who don't die of trauma, infection, childbirth, exotic genetic problems or malnutrition WILL die of cancer or cardiovascular disease. No one dies of "old age".

That said, I'm a first degree relative of a type 2 diabetic who died of it. There are the usual cardiovascular problems and cancers in my family.

You are a bookish sort so read this book if you do absolutely nothing else: 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes. It's much more of a textbook than a pop book. Taubes actually had to write a pop version of this because his book was science/research heavy. Don't read the pop book, read the real thing.

For whatever reasons, you are too sensitive to carbs. At your age, your triglycerides are way too high as are your blood sugars. Thems the breaks. For you, aside from non-starchy vegetables there are no "good carbs". You can't skate with oatmeal and 'whole grains' and brown rice and apples.

You need a fatty, protein diet. You need to restrict carbs to once a week (everybody needs a cheat day). Eat eggs, fish, meat, salad, stir-fries, and raw non-starchy veggies. Avocado will be really helpful here. Watch your calories and lose your excess weight. Eat a large amount of fish - sardines are best.

Unless you really enjoy long exercise durations, get a stationary bike (or a real one) and just ride 10 minutes at a shot but ride it 5 times a day. Short, semi-intense exercise will impact your ldl more than long, continuous exercise (and it's more do-able).

Bad Cat is correct on the cinnimon - take 2 grams a day in a split dose. It will change your insulin sensitivity in about a month.

Read the book, do this, and get your blood work done again in the middle of September. I guarantee you will be astonished.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I scarfed down the rest of the peach pie last night so tonight I had vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup and cashews.
    Hey, I had a brownie with vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup on top tonight. That was supper.

CITM needs to listen to Marv. If that is not an option, a shrink should be in the offering.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Hey, I had a brownie with vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup on top tonight. That was supper.

CITM needs to listen to Marv. If that is not an option, a shrink should be in the offering.
    There's simply no need for you be so callous. This is an actual, medical issue. Would you be so flip if it was my stats?

This isn't political, it's social.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There's simply no need for you be so callous. This is an actual, medical issue. Would you be so flip if it was my stats?

This isn't political, it's social.
    Marv gave him some good advise. When I need medical advise I go to the doctor for it. Not some wannabe health experts on a web board. I sure as hell never got my momma at age 20 to nurse maid me. He needs to grow up.

You are half ass right, it is not political. However, it is not social either. He has medical or mental problems. I don't know which so I am not about to put my doctor's cap on. Plus, at his age it is hard for me to comprehend all the medical problems he has.

Marv gave him some good advise. When I need medical advise I go to the doctor for it. Not some wannabe health experts on a web board. I sure as hell never got my momma at age 20 to nurse maid me. He needs to grow up.

You are half ass right, it is not political. However, it is not social either. He has medical or mental problems. I don't know which so I am not about to put my doctor's cap on. Plus, at his age it is hard for me to comprehend all the medical problems he has.
    It's completely social and you are just being a bully.

If this was me, I guarantee you would not be so callous.

Let's just drop it and let those of us who have something useful to say do that and let those of us who don't, seek elsewhere.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    He didn't say much. My mother picked up the results because she had to see him anyway--he's the family doctor.

Get a 24 speed bicycle, preferably not too cheap of one if you can do better because better bikes really are better, and you're going to want one eventually. Ride for one hour a day. Start slowly but force yourself to do it. You might enjoy it, I do. This is assuming that you don't live somewhere where riding is fatal. If that's the case, then walking is still very good. Gradually increase the distance and speed of your ride.

Weigh yourself every day. Write it down. Arrange to report to someone every day how much you weigh. Weigh yourself naked in the morning at the same time every day. This will help to eliminate some common variations which can be frustrating.

Get a food scale at Walmart. A digital scale that weighs in grams and ounces costs about $20. It has an automatic tare, which lets you put a bowl, cooking dish, or even the toaster-oven pan on it, zero out, and then weigh only the food you put on it.

Keep a food diary. A small wire bound notebook or a baby steno pad is good for this. Use one page for each day. Write the date, your weight, and how much you have lost across the top. Measure your foods and write down EVERYTHING you eat. Go to http://www.calorieking.com to get the nutritional information for what you eat. Keep track of the calories, fat, sodium. You will be surprised at what you are actually eating. The food diary keeps you honest. The food diary keeps you from getting on the scale and not knowing why you aren't losing.

Don't eat anything that comes through the window of your car.

Beware of Subway. The food is actually better than most fast food, but their nutritional information is deceptive. The calorie, fat, and sodium count does not include cheese (you can't taste their cheese anyway so leave it off) or condiments.

PS - These things have led to a 45 lb weight loss for me since May 8. A clerk walked up to me tonight at Walmart and said, "You've really taken off some weight." That felt so good.
    Last edited by Novaheart; 06-29-2011 at 12:23 AM.

That's right, also as Linda pointed out he needs to start doing things for himself rather than rely on his mother, the last thing he needs to do now is add one more controlling woman to his life no matter how well intentioned it may seem.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    That's right, also as Linda pointed out he needs to start doing things for himself rather than rely on his mother, the last thing he needs to do now is add one more controlling woman to his life no matter how well intentioned it may seem.
    Well, he needs is a freaking chemist who has actually done this. I'm not "controlling" him. I sure actually know the chemistry here - do you?

I know how these blood tests work and what affects them. I spent 15 years on it personally. Now, I will bow to your greater experience if you have provable beneficial results using Marv's method. I've got real results with my husband, best friend, and myself.

This is real for him. Save the sarcasm and jokes for his political positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, he needs is a freaking chemist who has actually done this. I'm not "controlling" him. I sure actually know the chemistry here - do you?

I know how these blood tests work and what affects them. I spent 15 years on it personally. Now, I will bow to your greater experience if you have provable beneficial results using Marv's method. I've got real results with my husband, best friend, and myself.

This is real for him. Save the sarcasm and jokes for his political positions.
    No one here is claiming expertise other than yourself, they have offered opinions, you seem to feel the only valid opinions are yours. You don't own this conversation.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg