Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 California: Why can't EVERYONE just learn Spanish? 
    Taverner (1000+ posts) Tue Jun-28-11 07:24 PM
    Original message
    California: Why can't EVERYONE just learn Spanish?

And I mean that! No, I'm not talking about folks in their 50's suddenly being required to learn this beautiful, wonderful language. Reading Spanish language poetry should alone be reason enough to learn it.

But why can't we make it a graduation requirement for secondary schools?

If their first language is English, they need to be at a High School level of Spanish to graduate.

If their first language is other than English, then they need to be at a High School level of English to graduate. The second one is pretty much the case. Those cases of teachers passing students just to get them out is rarer than you might think.

But California (and I would say, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, New York, Illinois, Florida and Texas) has a huge Spanish speaking population. And speaking Spanish opens so many doors - even if its just a little Spanish - I can't see why we don't require it.

I have been forcing myself to keep up my Spanish. I wish I knew it better.

It may seem hard at first, but once you find the way to teach yourself a language, it gets easier every day.

Oh, and go check out the Spanish poetry. I swear, that language was made for poets and songwriters. All those words ending in 'o' and 'a'....
    Only in DUmmyland would they think this.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

I bet the Spanish don't understand a lot of what the Mexicans say!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    At Megabank we had some Hispanic folks who couldn't get certified for the Spanish gate because their Spanish was what I call "machine gun Spanish". These were largely Cuban ancestry folks.

Naturally when Quality Control passed evaluation standard for operators which required them to speak English with proper diction and grammar, Human Resources jumped and cancelled that section of the policy before it was ever enforced.

First generation Spanish speakers in Colorado largely speak the Mexican-equivalent of Cajun. They are ridiculed by their older relatives, nearly incomprehensible to other native Spanish speakers, and dialect-dependent. Few can read or write Spanish (their parents are often functionally illiterate in Spanish).

"Spanish" is not some unified language with strict vocabulary and grammar rules set by some "official" body. It's not French.

English is the New Latin. It is spoken for business, science, and now, diplomatic reasons by a huge part of the world. English is not mellifluous and it's not easy. However, English has three core vocabularies, the largest number of words, and the most precision of any language spoken by large populations today. This means that a non-native speaker only needs about 900 words to get along shockingly well. This is not true of the Romance languages, beautiful as they may be.

I support teaching kids spanish in school from a young age, not because of "diversity" issues, but so that our kids can develop good language skills. It's a language american kids have a fair amount of exposure to in our culture, and the younger kids are when they learn a second language, the easier it will be for them to learn more languages later in life. When I was in school, we didn't get to take foreign language classes until high school-that really is waiting too long.

I should have taken spanish instead of german, it'd be far more useful in my job.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I should have taken spanish instead of german, it'd be far more useful in my job.
    Ditto for me as well. I'm tempted to plop down the $$ for Rosetta Stone Spanish but as Ginger said, not all "Spanish" is the same. Mexican isn't the same as Puerto Rican which isn't the same as Cuban which isn't the same as Dominican which isn't the same as Honduran, etc. The basic core is similar and you can communicate. Where the issues arise is in slang and certain idioms but you can work around that. Just whatever you do, do not call an Hispanic male a cabron.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Ditto for me as well. I'm tempted to plop down the $$ for Rosetta Stone Spanish but as Ginger said, not all "Spanish" is the same. Mexican isn't the same as Puerto Rican which isn't the same as Cuban which isn't the same as Dominican which isn't the same as Honduran, etc. The basic core is similar and you can communicate. Where the issues arise is in slang and certain idioms but you can work around that. Just whatever you do, do not call an Hispanic male a cabron.
    DUmmies don't know that. Hell, they think everyone's English is the same as what they speak. I get absolutley lost when I hear Cockney. I bet if I told a New Englander, in my accent, "With my luck I could fall in a bucket of titties and come out sucking two thumbs." they'd be lost. Trust me, in south GA, we don't talk near as slow as some think. All southerners don't talk like Texans.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    DUmmies don't know that. Hell, they think everyone's English is the same as what they speak. I get absolutley lost when I hear Cockney. I bet if I told a New Englander, in my accent, "With my luck I could fall in a bucket of titties and come out sucking two thumbs." they'd be lost. Trust me, in south GA, we don't talk near as slow as some think. All southerners don't talk like Texans.
    Absolutely. English is spoken differently from a North Carolinian as well as someone from Montana. The accents and different idioms make it so that sometimes we Americans can't understand each other. Hell, Italian and Sicilian is different from one another.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

Also, don't suggest someone of Spanish descent is Hispanic. Our mexican exchange student clarified it for us-she descended from the conquistidores of Spain, and Hispanics are "indians".

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    they don't! when i lived in NYC, the Superintendent of my building spoke hispanic, and there was a Spain-spanish speaking guy who lived there. they could only communicate in english.
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.