Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sunday Thread: Old Friends 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Hot and humid on The Mountain. Had a heck of a thunderstorm yesterday. Lots of wind and heavy rain. 3/4 inch of rain in about 30 minutes. No hail but plenty of wind and lightening.

I sat on the porch with a cigar and a scotch and enjoyed.

TOTD: Old Friends you haven't seen in a while. I don't do much on facebook but this week I connected with a couple of classmates I haven't heard from since 1974. It was fun to catch up on what they are doing and what's going on in their lives.

Ever connect with folks you haven't been in contact with in a while?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Morning Bubba! :D

Looks to be a hot one here today, in the 90's. Maybe some thunder later.
    May the FORCE be with you!

SR already gave our weather report.

TOTD: A few weeks ago I received a phone call. A heavily accented voice said hi. It was such a delightful surprise. The call was from Belgium, a woman from long ago who had helped me enormously figure out how to deal with my Blue dawg's seizures. We "met" on the canine epilepsy group. We had lost touch over the years, but she had my name and traced me to Florida. We had a delightful time talking other than the internet.

That reminds me, I still need to send her pictures of Blue and write something for the Epilepsy group's rainbow bridge website.

Voices from the past can be wonderful.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    It is going to be another hot humid one in big B.R.

My stepdaughter surprised me with a visit a few days ago. Had not seen or heard from her in about 20 years. We had a nice visit.

still humid here today. but looks like some Tstroms moving in. and ill miss fertilizing my lawn

TOTD: early last year I got a phone call from a guy I served with in Nam. he's running the ships site on facebook and I caught up with a lotta guys I served with. had not heard from them since 1970 !!!
    some of em ive spent hours on the phone talking to and catching up. their all my age of course so we have a lot in common. I still talk to em today. what a blast !!!!
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

High is only supposed to be 108 today. The air is hazy right now. My lungs are not thrilled.

TOTD: I've connected with a few high school acquaintances through Facebook. For the most part though, I kept up with the people I wanted to keep up with. My ten-year reunion a few years ago was a good reminder of why I didn't bother with most of my high school classmates.

Hot and humid

TOTD: I've re-connected with old friends through Facebook and some old loves as well.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post

TOTD: Old Friends you haven't seen in a while. I don't do much on facebook but this week I connected with a couple of classmates I haven't heard from since 1974. It was fun to catch up on what they are doing and what's going on in their lives.

Ever connect with folks you haven't been in contact with in a while?
    Well, no. BUT I HAVE looked up old childhood friends on the internet just out of curiosity. One was a child prodigy, a pianist. He doesnt have a facebook account, but he does have his own website. He's still playing piano over the world as well as teaches piano. Havent seen him in 30 years since I moved out of the old neighborhood. Though about 10 years after I moved out, one day I decided to go to an old bookstore that was still open for business in the old neighborhood. I went there, made a few purchases, and on my way home I decided to walk up my old street that I lived on. I went past my old childhood home, and further up the block I went to the pianists home. To my surprise, the old familiar sound of a piano being played was coming from inside the house. I stopped and listened to it for a while. Then I toyed with the idea of going up and knocking on the door just to say hi. But I couldnt. Too much time had passed and I was too shy. So I just stood there and listened to the piano for a bit more before moving on home. I havent been back to the old neighborhood since. I once did a whois search on his website to see what his current address was and amazingly, he is still living in that very same house.

Another one I havent seen for over 25 years. We just drifted apart and just a few months ago out of curiosity I looked up for him using google, but it was an impossibility finding him. Then on a hunch I looked him up on facebook. Bingo. He has a few photos of himself. The face looks the same, but he's a bit chunkier. I also learned about him that he's a police officer and married with 2 kids. It took me by surprise that hes a police officer because way back when I was still hanging out with him, he was quite the juvenile delinquent (never been caught at anything though) and showed absolutely no interest in police work. I imagine his true motives for joining the police force was for the paycheck, benefits and pension.

I havent contacted these guys or anybody from my past due to very personal reasons. Someday I MIGHT, but right now I cant.

Quote Originally Posted by bmovies View Post
    Well, no. BUT I HAVE looked up old childhood friends on the internet just out of curiosity. One was a child prodigy, a pianist. He doesnt have a facebook account, but he does have his own website. He's still playing piano over the world as well as teaches piano. Havent seen him in 30 years since I moved out of the old neighborhood. Though about 10 years after I moved out, one day I decided to go to an old bookstore that was still open for business in the old neighborhood. I went there, made a few purchases, and on my way home I decided to walk up my old street that I lived on. I went past my old childhood home, and further up the block I went to the pianists home. To my surprise, the old familiar sound of a piano being played was coming from inside the house. I stopped and listened to it for a while. Then I toyed with the idea of going up and knocking on the door just to say hi. But I couldnt. Too much time had passed and I was too shy. So I just stood there and listened to the piano for a bit more before moving on home. I havent been back to the old neighborhood since. I once did a whois search on his website to see what his current address was and amazingly, he is still living in that very same house.

Another one I havent seen for over 25 years. We just drifted apart and just a few months ago out of curiosity I looked up for him using google, but it was an impossibility finding him. Then on a hunch I looked him up on facebook. Bingo. He has a few photos of himself. The face looks the same, but he's a bit chunkier. I also learned about him that he's a police officer and married with 2 kids. It took me by surprise that hes a police officer because way back when I was still hanging out with him, he was quite the juvenile delinquent (never been caught at anything though) and showed absolutely no interest in police work. I imagine his true motives for joining the police force was for the paycheck, benefits and pension.

I havent contacted these guys or anybody from my past due to very personal reasons. Someday I MIGHT, but right now I cant.
    It's amazing that the pianist would still live at the same place after all these years. I wonder if he still lives with his parents, as I presume it was their home all those years ago.

Have you gone to any high school reunions? I've been to one and would never return. Everyone was still trying to impress. There were still the same little groups, all huddled together, not willing to expand their horizons. It actually was very sad.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post

Have you gone to any high school reunions? I've been to one and would never return. Everyone was still trying to impress. There were still the same little groups, all huddled together, not willing to expand their horizons. It actually was very sad.
    I went to my 10th and that was it. I was in AZ for my 20th and was in the process of moving back to NJ for my 25th. When I went to my 10th it was as you said and it was a huge turnoff.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.