1. #1 Minnesota Government Shuts Down As Republicans Refuse To Raise Taxes On Millionaires 
    link

cal04 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-01-11 11:19 AM
    Original message
    Minnesota Government Shuts Down As Republicans Refuse To Raise Taxes On Millionaires

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...-millionaires/

Minnesota’s government will be shutdown over the Fourth of July weekend as the state’s Republican-controlled state legislature and Democratic governor failed to reach an agreement to close a $5 billion budget deficit before midnight. To close the deficit, Gov. Mark Dayton (D) proposed raising taxes on people making over $1 million a year. Republicans, who took control of both houses last November and campaigned on a platform of no tax increases, are digging in their heels and insist on reducing the deficit through major budget cuts.

(snip)
    Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch, a Republican, said late Thursday that the state’s health and human-services budget was a sticking point in the negotiations.

Ms. Koch was interrupted several times by protestors in the Capitol chanting, “Tax the rich!”

(snip)
    Dayton is standing by his plan to raise taxes on millionaires in order to spare cuts in services to the most vulnerable residents. He told reporters late Thursday, “This is a night of deep sorrow for me because I don’t want to see this shutdown occur. But I think there are basic principles and the well-being of millions of people in Minnesota that would be damaged not just for the next week or whatever long it takes, but the next two years and beyond with these kind of permanent cuts in personal care attendants and home health services and college tuition increases.”
    Right. Dayton and liberals are up in arms because the Republican legislature only agreed to increases of 6%, not the 25% that was wanted.

The Republicans have sent Dayton 3 balanced budgets and Dayton has refused all of them because they didn't raise taxes and raise spending enough for him.

gateley Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-01-11 12:20 PM
    Response to Reply #4
    31. I don't care whether there is one or 100,000 - it's shameful

they are not willing to raise taxes a bit. How the fuck do they think this country runs?
    hifiguy Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-01-11 11:25 AM
    Response to Original message
    5. I, for one, stand with my Governor.

Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich! Tax the rich!
    RUMMYisFROSTED Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-01-11 12:03 PM
    Response to Reply #14
    23. There are almost 100,000 households that are millionaires in MN.

A 3% hike would give you $3B.
    ProgressiveProfessor (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Jul-01-11 12:06 PM
    Response to Reply #23
    26. You need to check your stats

The tax is on INCOME not WEALTH. are there really 100K households in MN making $1M a year in income?
    Dreamer Tatum Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-01-11 12:07 PM
    Response to Reply #23
    27. Again, link? Proof? I strongly suspect that you confuse wealth with income.

Your revenue estimate implies $100 BILLION in annual income for millionaires in MN. I doubt that is the case.
    Dreamer Tatum Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-01-11 11:32 AM
    Response to Reply #11
    15. People seem to confuse income and wealth.

It's embarrassing to watch.
    EleanorR (25 posts) Fri Jul-01-11 12:05 PM
    25. show your support for Dayton

And DU this poll-

http://www.twincities.com/index.html?_requestid=489769&...
    Major Hogwash (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Jul-01-11 12:36 PM
    33. They're willing to fuck up the entire state to provide for the comfort of a few dozen rich people!!

Incredible.
    You know, if I were wealthy and lived in Minnesota, I'd be getting a little nervous right about now.
    Last edited by Carol; 07-01-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Republicans, who took control of both houses last November and campaigned on a platform of no tax increases, are digging in their heels and insist on reducing the deficit through major budget cuts.
    Hey, DUmmies, they're just living up to their campaign promise of no tax increases. That's part of what got them voted into office so they are doing the will of their constituents. Suck on it.

DUmmies usually don't pay income taxes, so they don't know about small businesses that file under Subchapter S.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Had a guy in the store today said that the state parks are booting campers out due to the shut-down.

This whole thing is nothing more then a political stunt right before the 4th. While people wanting to spend time relaxing in the parks over the holiday, they will be kicked out, and Dayton will say its because of the Republicans. They asked for an extension to get past the holiday, and he refused. He wanted this shutdown.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

It is much preferable to spend the state into bankruptcy than to cut the fat that is liberal spending.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand