Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 124
  1. #31  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,271
    Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxPresbyterian View Post
    I have a modest proposal for National Defense. I'm not normally in favor of any kind of Government Welfare, but I'm going to toss this one out there for the sake of discussion. :)

    There are approximately 110,000,000 Households in the United States. Let's go ahead and knock this down by 10% to screen out all Heads of Households with any sort of Violent Criminal Record. This is an outrageously high estimate, but it gets us down to an even 100,000,000. (The TOTAL number of Americans with any sort of Criminal Record is possibly as high as 25%, but I'm not considering trivial misdemeanors and such as worthy of consideration).

    Therefore, for Fiscal Year 2012, the US Government shall issue, to each Adult Head of Household (with no Violent Criminal Record) the following Equipment:

    1 AR-15 rifle (call it $750, assuming mass-production cost savings).
    500 rounds of Ammunition (call it another $750)
    1 Bulletproof Vest (call it $360)
    1 Kevlar Helmet (call it $140)

    Total Cost per Household: Approximately $2,000. (Sorry, you supply your own flashlights and canteens, etc).
    Total Cost for Fiscal 2012 Equipment Issuance: Approximately $200 Billion

    In addition, the Government shall issue this same Equipment to each newly-Adult Head of Household once per year. Assuming a 1% annual Population Growth Rate -- Annual Cost: Approximately $2 Billion per year.
    And, heck, let's go ahead and throw in an annual $200-dollar Voucher for each Head of Household, redeemable for shooting time and practice ammo at the gun range of their choice -- Annual Cost: Approximately $20 Billion per year. (We'll assume that this is a pure sunk-cost, and that providing employment at all those nice gun ranges is of no countervailing economic benefit).

    $200 Billion up-front cost, and just $22 Billion per year thereafter.
    Voila. National Defense achieved.
    Okay, so maybe we'd still want a small regular army to watch the Borders. Heck, even my half-Mexican wife wants to know who's coming into her country, even if she's fairly welcoming towards (LEGAL) immigration. But, hey, this is just an idea. (It works for the Swiss).

    In 1768, as conflict with the Crown worsened, the colonists called for the strengthening of the militia, so that "this country will have a better security against the calamities of war than any other in the world, Switzerland alone excepted." -- Guns, Crime, and the Swiss, by John Lott
    I guess I better change the oil in my tanks and polish the bore on my howitzer! I haven't started my fighter jet in over a year!:eek:
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
     

  2. #32  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I guess I better change the oil in my tanks and polish the bore on my howitzer! I haven't started my fighter jet in over a year!:eek:
    Well, some of us haven't your vast reserves of Gold Bullion to spend on our own personal arsenals. My compliments on your collection, nonetheless!

    That being said, for the rest of us -- I personally think that 100 Million AR-15 rifles in even moderately-trained hands should be sufficient to keep the Godless Canadian Hordes from swarming over the northern frontiers.

    At least, I hope it would be. (OP casts his eyes suspiciously towards ever-untrustworthy Canada).
     

  3. #33  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,271
    Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxPresbyterian View Post
    Well, some of us haven't your vast reserves of Gold Bullion to spend on our own personal arsenals. My compliments on your collection, nonetheless!

    That being said, for the rest of us -- I personally think that 100 Million AR-15 rifles in even moderately-trained hands should be sufficient to keep the Godless Canadian Hordes from swarming over the northern frontiers.

    At least, I hope it would be. (OP casts his eyes suspiciously towards ever-untrustworthy Canada).
    They have hundreds of anger management specialist ready to rush the border at the slightest provocation I assure you!:eek:
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
     

  4. #34  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,903
    Quote Originally Posted by jnkbortka View Post
    you should remember, Ralph Nader caused Al Gore to loose in 2000. Paul is no dumbass.
    Algore caused himself to lose...idiot. MM knows what he's talking about.



    AMEN!
    Tell me cultist...do you have any clue as to what percentage of the GDP the defense budget is compared to say things like Social Security...Medicaid...or any of the other social welfare programs bleeding this counry dry?

    Obviously you don't judging by the one handed clapping your doing over your belief we have a huge defense budget.



    he's not the only true conservative, but he is one of the most conservative reps we have. just look at his voting record.
    I've seen his voting record...seen what his ranking is...not very high...he's not close to being Conervative.



    except obama is the complete opposite side of the spectrum
    And Dr. Nutz isn't too far off from him.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
     

  5. #35  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,903
    Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxPresbyterian View Post
    I have a modest proposal for National Defense. I'm not normally in favor of any kind of Government Welfare, but I'm going to toss this one out there for the sake of discussion. :)

    There are approximately 110,000,000 Households in the United States. Let's go ahead and knock this down by 10% to screen out all Heads of Households with any sort of Violent Criminal Record. This is an outrageously high estimate, but it gets us down to an even 100,000,000. (The TOTAL number of Americans with any sort of Criminal Record is possibly as high as 25%, but I'm not considering trivial misdemeanors and such as worthy of consideration).

    Therefore, for Fiscal Year 2012, the US Government shall issue, to each Adult Head of Household (with no Violent Criminal Record) the following Equipment:

    1 AR-15 rifle (call it $750, assuming mass-production cost savings).
    500 rounds of Ammunition (call it another $750)
    1 Bulletproof Vest (call it $360)
    1 Kevlar Helmet (call it $140)

    Total Cost per Household: Approximately $2,000. (Sorry, you supply your own flashlights and canteens, etc).
    Total Cost for Fiscal 2012 Equipment Issuance: Approximately $200 Billion

    In addition, the Government shall issue this same Equipment to each newly-Adult Head of Household once per year. Assuming a 1% annual Population Growth Rate -- Annual Cost: Approximately $2 Billion per year.
    And, heck, let's go ahead and throw in an annual $200-dollar Voucher for each Head of Household, redeemable for shooting time and practice ammo at the gun range of their choice -- Annual Cost: Approximately $20 Billion per year. (We'll assume that this is a pure sunk-cost, and that providing employment at all those nice gun ranges is of no countervailing economic benefit).

    $200 Billion up-front cost, and just $22 Billion per year thereafter.
    Voila. National Defense achieved.
    Okay, so maybe we'd still want a small regular army to watch the Borders. Heck, even my half-Mexican wife wants to know who's coming into her country, even if she's fairly welcoming towards (LEGAL) immigration. But, hey, this is just an idea. (It works for the Swiss).

    In 1768, as conflict with the Crown worsened, the colonists called for the strengthening of the militia, so that "this country will have a better security against the calamities of war than any other in the world, Switzerland alone excepted." -- Guns, Crime, and the Swiss, by John Lott
    You're an idiot. This just certified it.

    That and that you're a borderline Luddite.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
     

  6. #36  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post

    As I stated in my earlier post, Paul and his zealots seem attached to the romantic notion that in a global world we can somehow return to the founders' desire to avoid foreign entanglements.
    That's because like their Liberal cousins...the Ronulans conduct their little fantasy in a vacuum.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
     

  7. #37  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    You're an idiot. This just certified it.

    That and that you're a borderline Luddite.
    Yes, because encouraging mass Firearms-Ownership amongst the law-abiding American Population is SUCH an "idiotic" idea.

    Works for the Swiss.
     

  8. #38  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,190
    Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxPresbyterian View Post
    Yes, because encouraging mass Firearms-Ownership amongst the law-abiding American Population is SUCH an "idiotic" idea.

    Works for the Swiss.
    Should we spend anything on a 1st Class Air Force? How about a Navy with Super-Carriers??
    May the FORCE be with you!
     

  9. #39  
    Senior Member newshutr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Should we spend anything on a 1st Class Air Force? How about a Navy with Super-Carriers??
    I hear the Swiss Navy is a formidable force...
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!
     

  10. #40  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Should we spend anything on a 1st Class Air Force? How about a Navy with Super-Carriers??
    As far as the Air Force, I'm in favor of keeping the ICBMs. If I'm engaging in a theoretical exercise of "getting the most Bang for the least Bucks", I'm not really aware of any more powerful deterrent for the money.

    As for the Navy, it's almost mandated as a permanent institution by the Constitution itself (unlike the Army, which is Constitutionally supposed to be raised for only two years at a time):

    To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
    To provide and maintain a Navy;
    So, yeah, I guess we kinda have to keep the Navy.
    While we're engaging in a "Bang for the Bucks" exercise, though: I would allow that opinions vary, on whether or not Super-Carriers are really the most cost-effective Defense. I'm personally more partial to the argument favored by the underseas sailors, that there are really only two types of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
    (And, come to think of it, they carry ICBMs also. SLBMs, anyway).
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •