Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Statue of Ronald Reagan joins Churchill, Nelson and Wellington in London 

Foreign Secretary William Hague and former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will attend the US Embassy in London to reveal the 10-foot bronze figure.

Ms Rice is representing the late president's widow Nancy Reagan at the ceremony, which coincides with the US Independence Day celebrations.

He joins the ranks of great men and women whose statues adorn our London streets; Nelson, Wellington, Lincoln, Churchill, Roosevelt, Edith Cavell and Nelson Mandela.

Mr Hague said: "As a Briton, as a Conservative and as a passionate admirer of America, I am proud that we have made a home here in the centre of our city for President Ronald Reagan.

"Statues bring us to face to face with our heroes long after they are gone.

"Ronald Reagan is without question a great American hero; one of America’s finest sons, and a giant of 20th Century history. You may be sure that the people of London will take this statue to their hearts."

Mr Hague said Baroness Thatcher could not be at the unveiling because of ill health. But he read out the speech she would have made.

"Ronald Reagan was a great President and a great man - a true leader for our times," wrote Baroness Thatcher.

"He held clear principles and acted upon them with purpose. Through his strength and his conviction he brought millions of people to freedom as the Iron Curtain finally came down. It was a pleasure to be his colleague and his friend and I hope that this statue will be a reminder to future generations of the debt we owe him.” ...
    link to article

link to pic

This is a very kind gesture on your countries part and I thank you :)

The added benefit is that the DUmmies are very pissed off over this statue :D

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    This is a very kind gesture on your countries part and I thank you :)

The added benefit is that the DUmmies are very pissed off over this statue :D
    Yea that Reagan will be there, but Obama will never make it.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Yea that Reagan will be there, but Obama will never make it.
    I agree but could you imagine the outcry from the DU crowd if he'd had gone there for the dedication? I would've payed real money to see that

I agree but could you imagine the outcry from the DU crowd if he'd had gone there for the dedication? I would've payed real money to see that
    The outcry will be golden enough just for the statue.

DU would have ether melted down, or claimed it was further proof that he still tries to reach across the isle, or is Reagan like in his greatness. Or "How humble he is".

Plus he would have tried making a speech apologizing for all the good Reagan did while president.
    Rest In Peace America

The outcry will be golden enough just for the statue.

DU would have ether melted down, or claimed it was further proof that he still tries to reach across the isle, or is Reagan like in his greatness. Or "How humble he is".

Plus he would have tried making a speech apologizing for all the good Reagan did while president.
    Its sad that the Brits think he was a great leader and the liberal part of this country doesn't. :mad:

Its sad that the Brits think he was a great leader and the liberal part of this country doesn't. :mad:
    In all fairness its all politics.

Had it been Clinton they were erecting a statue of there, we would likely not be in agreement he should be.

They hate our side, fair or not.
    We hate their side, fair or not.
    Rest In Peace America

In all fairness its all politics.

Had it been Clinton they were erecting a statue of there, we would likely not be in agreement he should be.

They hate our side, fair or not.
    We hate their side, fair or not.
    I dont think Clinton was a real bad president (except for the lies and the law breaking) I wouldnt be up in arms over it. I didnt like him but not with the hate i have for obama lol

But any objective person can agree Reagan did more good for the world during a trying time (cold war) then Clinton did in peace.
    Last edited by Bailey; 07-04-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Nice words from Margaret Thatcher:

Ronald Reagan was a great President and a great man - a true leader for our times.He held clear principles and acted upon them with purpose. Through his strength and his conviction he brought millions of people to freedom as the Iron Curtain finally came down. It was a pleasure to be his colleague and his friend and I hope that this statue will be a reminder to future generations of the debt we owe him.

This is how it should be with US/Brit relationships. Obama is an abomination who acted with no class when he returned the statue of Churchill. There is a large tribute to the man at a college in Fulton, Mo, Westminster College.

Obama does not seem to understand the tradition of our long time allies. He's too busy placating the muslim nations.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"