Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Herman Cain proving to be real contender 
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Herman Cain proving to be real contender
    ‘Longshot candidate’ now in third place in recent Iowa poll.

By Bill Torpy

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

GREENVILLE, S.C. — Herman Cain slipped away from the tour group and into an office to talk with a worker. After hearing a 45-second synopsis of the woman’s duties at the computer software company, he clasped his hands and enthusiastically announced an “aha” moment.
    “This is what people in Washington, D.C., don’t do enough of: get out and talk to real people solving real problems,” he said before moving on to another work station for another dose of real people wisdom.

While the backdrop was a quintessential campaign stop in this early primary state — he visited a complex housing small, start-up businesses to announce his tax cut-based economic vision — Cain is not a typical candidate.

Six months ago, the popular after-dinner speaker and Atlanta radio talk show host announced he was venturing into the national spotlight with a run for the presidency. The declaration mostly drew shrugs in political circles.

Now, with a little more than six months to go before the Iowa caucuses, Cain has managed to garner a third-place finish among Republicans, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, in the Des Moines Register’s first poll. And that unexpected accomplishment has some of those same doubters paying a bit more attention.

More than 20 visits to Iowa in the past year have built Cain a passionate following, although “longshot candidate” still often precedes his name. Cain says he prefers the term “dark horse,” the black Republican’s eyes lighting up with mischievous glee at the political incorrectness.

It’s that kind of humor that has turned the former executive with an uproarious laugh and a plain-speaking, Southern style into a grass-roots sensation in the Republican field.

He recently signed a book deal and last weekend won a straw poll at a Cobb County GOP barbecue, getting more than triple the votes of his nearest rival, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who once represented that county. A Gallup poll released Friday found that 48 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents know who Cain is, a 27 percentage-point jump in name recognition from late March. That’s the biggest improvement among Republican hopefuls.

Cain’s niche as the anti-candidate candidate (he has run for office just once, losing in the 2004 Georgia Republican primary for the U.S. Senate) has served him well in a year when being an outsider is cool.
    3rd in Iowa....and a HUGE jump in name recognition from just 4 months ago....
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    3rd in Iowa....and a HUGE jump in name recognition from just 4 months ago....
    Cain may have come in 3rd; but, for the record, I'd happily vote for Cain over either Romney or Bachmann. (the 1st and 2nd place "winners", for now). Except that I haven't lived in Iowa for decades, that is.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    what is your problem with Bachmann?
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Mine is this. I am uninterested in having a Cotton Mather for a president, thank you very much.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Banned
    What -- other than just a general sentiment (call it a Prejudice, on my part) that we have enough Lawyers in power already?

She's cast a few votes, here and there, which I don't particularly like -- here's a couple of examples.
    Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)
    Voted NO on extending AMT exemptions to avoid hitting middle-income. (Jun 2008)

Not the biggest issues in the Budget, but still votes with which I disagreed. Of course, since Cain wasn't in Congress, I can't be 100%-for-sure that he would have voted against this Spending Increase or for that Tax Cut; but, him being a successful businessman, I tend to think he would have.

Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxPresbyterian View Post
    Cain may have come in 3rd; but, for the record, I'd happily vote for Cain over either Romney or Bachmann. (the 1st and 2nd place "winners", for now). Except that I haven't lived in Iowa for decades, that is.
    Sure you would.

I shall be interested to see if Cain can get 1/5th as many votes as Paul in this cycle.
    http://www.conservativeunderground.c...8&postcount=77
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

She's not Ron Paul.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Sure you would. ~~ I shall be interested to see if Cain can get 1/5th as many votes as Paul in this cycle. http://www.conservativeunderground.c...8&postcount=77
    I specified a choice between Romney, Bachmann, or Cain.
    Given those choices, then yes -- I would prefer Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Mine is this. I am uninterested in having a Cotton Mather for a president, thank you very much.
    People should never be naked, they should be sprayed with some sort of rubberized undercoating to prevent unnecessary lust and sex.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxPresbyterian View Post
    I specified a choice between Romney, Bachmann, or Cain.
    Given those choices, then yes -- I would prefer Cain.
    And yet earlier you said you doubted that Cain would get 1/5th of the votes that Dr. Nutz would.

Keep spinning.